Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

"Experts say the growth of antibiotic resistance now poses as great a threat to global health as the emergence of new diseases such as Aids and pandemic flu...Drug companies have lost interest in developing new antibiotics because it is increasingly difficult to find new agents and it is not commercially viable – antibiotics are taken for a few days, compared with, say, a heart drug which may be taken for life...The rapid rise in E.coli blood poisoning is thought to be linked with the ageing of the population. E.coli is a common cause of urinary-tract infections but may also cause wound infections following surgery or injury. These are regarded as minor conditions, but if they became untreatable they would be life-threatening."

Experts fear diseases 'impossible to treat' - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

It's a UK article but the global implications are discussed. This is not the first I've heard of bacteria resistant to antibiotics but it's the first time I've read of it possibly being linked to an aging population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Well, aging people are likely to have more fragile immune systems. If an older person is in hospital or some other institutional setting, they are more exposed. When someone has what appears to be a first dementia episode, or an acute exacerbation of dementia-type behavior, they are always checked for UTI first (certainly the women- a curse of anatomy).
If animals weren't pumped full of antibiotics to fatten them and to cut down the disease of the terrible conditions in which they are kept until slaughter, it would help a lot. Humble opinion, and all that.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Well, if I were to believe everything I read here on the Retirement Board we're all going to contract some dread disease, lose our health care 'cause Medicare is gonna evaporate, go broke 'cause Social Security is gonna dry up soon, get tossed out of our homes by (take your choice) government, bankers, family members and die old, alone and lonely somewhere yet to be determined but not where we want to be while forsaken by ungrateful, uncaring children who will breathe sighs of relief and squabble over my estate.

Call me a cockeyed optimist but I think I'll just sit back with a smile on my face, a song in my heart, wearing rings on my fingers and bells on my toes and a bone in my nose ho, ho!

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

Nope! Not ready to succumb to fear and voluntarily assume room temperature. I have every confidence I'll live until I die, however and whenever, and enjoy every step of the journey.

So there!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Experts say the growth of antibiotic resistance now poses as great a threat to global health as the emergence of new diseases such as Aids and pandemic flu...Drug companies have lost interest in developing new antibiotics because it is increasingly difficult to find new agents and it is not commercially viable – antibiotics are taken for a few days, compared with, say, a heart drug which may be taken for life...The rapid rise in E.coli blood poisoning is thought to be linked with the ageing of the population. E.coli is a common cause of urinary-tract infections but may also cause wound infections following surgery or injury. These are regarded as minor conditions, but if they became untreatable they would be life-threatening."

Experts fear diseases 'impossible to treat' - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

It's a UK article but the global implications are discussed. This is not the first I've heard of bacteria resistant to antibiotics but it's the first time I've read of it possibly being linked to an aging population.
A friend who is a doctor here (oops, "hospitalist") has written articles on the deadly MRSA in hospitals. MRSA has been around for a long time. This can be carried by skin contact, even in on shoes, etc. She says it's b/c of this same issue. According to her, even visitors can contract it. Nursing homes would be a target b/c of the frailer population.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, if I were to believe everything I read here on the Retirement Board we're all going to contract some dread disease, lose our health care 'cause Medicare is gonna evaporate, go broke 'cause Social Security is gonna dry up soon, get tossed out of our homes by (take your choice) government, bankers, family members and die old, alone and lonely somewhere yet to be determined but not where we want to be while forsaken by ungrateful, uncaring children who will breathe sighs of relief and squabble over my estate.

Call me a cockeyed optimist but I think I'll just sit back with a smile on my face, a song in my heart, wearing rings on my fingers and bells on my toes and a bone in my nose ho, ho!

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

Nope! Not ready to succumb to fear and voluntarily assume room temperature. I have every confidence I'll live until I die, however and whenever, and enjoy every step of the journey.

So there!
Here, here!!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
For years, we've been eating foods, doing things and living lifestyles that evolving technological insights keep saying will kill us. Who knows what 'they' will discover in years to come ... that we are unknowingly doing today, that will lead to our ultimate demise.

Nobody lives forever, but, far worse than dying, is safely reaching an advanced age ... only to discover we've never really lived --- because we spent our time avoiding things that would kill us or cause us to age more rapidly.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Look at the bright side: if the elderly start dying because of simple infections, Social Security will be in great shape.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Well, aging people are likely to have more fragile immune systems. If an older person is in hospital or some other institutional setting, they are more exposed. When someone has what appears to be a first dementia episode, or an acute exacerbation of dementia-type behavior, they are always checked for UTI first (certainly the women- a curse of anatomy).
If animals weren't pumped full of antibiotics to fatten them and to cut down the disease of the terrible conditions in which they are kept until slaughter, it would help a lot. Humble opinion, and all that.
Didn't think of that. Good post.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
The low level antibiotics that have been in dairy/meat have contributed to resistant strains of bacteria, too. The bacteria get to mutate and become stronger. I remember when antibiotics were given for everything and I knew it was dead wrong years ago. Now it's common knowledge, but the medical mainstream takes years to get these things.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Guess we should consider ourselves lucky that we live where we can and do purchase locally raised, grass-fed, Angus beef as well as free-range chicken, neither of which have fillers, preservatives or antibiotics. Not only that but they actually have real flavor. Imagine that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement