Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:39 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,636,492 times

Advertisements

Since 2007, top-selling opioids dispensed to people 60 years and older have increased 32%. The increase has been fueled in part by doctors and pain advocacy organizations that receive money from drug companies and make misleading claims about the safety and effectiveness of opioids.

Narcotics use for chronic pain soars among seniors - JSOnline

"Legal" drugs darn near killed my mother. She went from doctor to doctor getting the same prescriptions over and over again. We intervened and luckily got her the help she needed.

She had drugs hidden in every coat pocket in her closet, every drawer in her dresser.

It really pisses me off the way Big Pharma is allowed to peddle their goods because of the influence they have over our corrupt politicians. They constantly advertise in order to get as many people as possible hooked. Nice racket -- and immensely profitable.

Doctors are in the mix too when it comes to this gravy train of money. Yep, don't legalize pot because its so damn dangerous, but let Big Pharma continue to kill thousands upon thousands with their so called legal drugs.

I know, some drugs do wonders for some people, but far too many are getting hooked, and dying, needlessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
The underlying principle is that people shouldn't have to live in pain. Period.

Everything else, in particular how doctors and pharmacists and family interact and manage
the various methods available to alleviate pain should be guided by that underlying principle.
If/when problems happen then address that shortcoming.

Confusing the idiocy of the anti MJ laws with the underlying principle doesn't help either.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Another underlying principle is that people are wholly and individually responsible for abusing the clear dosage directions on prescriptions and "doctor shopping."

Old 05-30-2012, 05:32 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Another underlying principle is that people are wholly and individually responsible for abusing the clear dosage directions on prescriptions and "doctor shopping."
No doubt.
But that falls under "...in particular how doctors and pharmacists and family interact and manage..." rather well.

At present the system is set up to make it almost impossible for one doctor or pharmacist to know what
another is doing for a person. Can you think of any simple common sense remedies to multiple scrip abuse?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Since 2007, top-selling opioids dispensed to people 60 years and older have increased 32%. The increase has been fueled in part by doctors and pain advocacy organizations that receive money from drug companies and make misleading claims about the safety and effectiveness of opioids.

Narcotics use for chronic pain soars among seniors - JSOnline

"Legal" drugs darn near killed my mother. She went from doctor to doctor getting the same prescriptions over and over again. We intervened and luckily got her the help she needed.

She had drugs hidden in every coat pocket in her closet, every drawer in her dresser.

It really pisses me off the way Big Pharma is allowed to peddle their goods because of the influence they have over our corrupt politicians. They constantly advertise in order to get as many people as possible hooked. Nice racket -- and immensely profitable.

Doctors are in the mix too when it comes to this gravy train of money. Yep, don't legalize pot because its so damn dangerous, but let Big Pharma continue to kill thousands upon thousands with their so called legal drugs.

I know, some drugs do wonders for some people, but far too many are getting hooked, and dying, needlessly.
What is/was wrong with your mother? Why did she need opiates? FWIW - they are - for the most part - extremely cheap drugs. After I have dental work or similar - I may get an Rx for about 20 that costs about $4. Drug companies are not exactly making a killing on the prescriptions. Perhaps your mother was simply an addict? Can't reach any conclusion without more info. Robyn

Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No doubt.
But that falls under "...in particular how doctors and pharmacists and family interact and manage..." rather well.

At present the system is set up to make it almost impossible for one doctor or pharmacist to know what
another is doing for a person. Can you think of any simple common sense remedies to multiple scrip abuse?
Not a one short of centralization under Big Brother. Not acceptable.

Some will live. Some will die. That's all.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What is/was wrong with your mother? Why did she need opiates? FWIW - they are - for the most part - extremely cheap drugs. After I have dental work or similar - I may get an Rx for about 20 that costs about $4. Drug companies are not exactly making a killing on the prescriptions. Perhaps your mother was simply an addict? Can't reach any conclusion without more info. Robyn
I'm guessing you don't take them all at once then shop for more.

Can't tell you how many very partially used prescriptions we've displosed of over the years because they were no longer necessary.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The underlying principle is that people shouldn't have to live in pain. Period.

Everything else, in particular how doctors and pharmacists and family interact and manage
the various methods available to alleviate pain should be guided by that underlying principle.
If/when problems happen then address that shortcoming.

Confusing the idiocy of the anti MJ laws with the underlying principle doesn't help either.
Pain is an indication of a potentially serious imbalance in the body, our body calling attention to our brain..."hello." To cover it up with heavy duty drugs is ludicrous and dangerous. Our doctors should be finding the underlying causes instead of whipping off prescriptions. We are all to blame.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
When people are old and in pain let them take as much as they wish. My mother died of bone cancer. Her last three weeks were hellish. But the doctor told us that if she had enough to relieve the pain it would kill her. But at that point shouldn't the patient decide whether a quiet death is preferable to pain. I loved my mother very much but her life became so horrible that I was relieved when she died and suffered no more.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Pain is an indication of a potentially serious imbalance in the body, our body calling attention to our brain..."hello." To cover it up with heavy duty drugs is ludicrous and dangerous. Our doctors should be finding the underlying causes instead of whipping off prescriptions. We are all to blame.
Arthritis and a host of other problems can result in pain and the need to temper the hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement