Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

I have this fantasy that I think is part-way true: I think that if I get enough rest, enough massages, have enough fun, that I will return to my youthful self.

The part that I think is true is that stress ages a person and makes you look and feel old, so when you get the stress under control, you can, perhaps, retain your health and youthful vigor. I have heard people say that after they got through this or that and had time to rest and rejuvenate, they felt the years melt away . . .

I have been under intense stress for a few years (worse the last six months) and have aged ten years in a few years . . .

So I am going to hang onto the fantasy that if the current stress ends, I will rest up and take years off . . .this hope keeps me going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:16 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I absolutely agree that too much stress hurts your body and your spirit. Oddly, having a completely stress free life also seems to take a toll on both body and spirit.

I try to avoid stressful people & situations when possible and accept that some will come my way--I'm not sure if that will make me younger, but it's a healthy way to live life. FWIW, I'm not sure I'd really want to be young again. I enjoyed being young, but aging agrees with me, too.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
My mother was the Queen of Stress. She not only looked girlish at the age of 90, she lived several years past that age. She had no idea what a natural food or massage was (she would never let anyone touch her) and claimed that sugar is a nutrient. She initiated stress constantly. It was the more laid back ones around her that she might have outlived. I'm sure when we meet in heaven (?) she will still be at it.
The boomers are ever-hopeful.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My mother was the Queen of Stress. She not only looked girlish at the age of 90, she lived several years past that age. She had no idea what a natural food or massage was (she would never let anyone touch her) and claimed that sugar is a nutrient. She initiated stress constantly. It was the more laid back ones around her that she might have outlived. I'm sure when we meet in heaven (?) she will still be at it.
The boomers are ever-hopeful.
I know someone like this, as well. I think some people have really strong constitutions and others are more fragile or sensitive.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I think finding ways to relieve one's self of stress is an excellent idea and I believe in it, too!

I absolutely agree that I have aged b/c of stress.

I hope your theory about reversing aging thru/ massage and other good practices works - cause I am doing those things, too!

It sure cannot hurt . . .

Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think finding ways to relieve one's self of stress is an excellent idea and I believe in it, too!

I absolutely agree that I have aged b/c of stress.

I hope your theory about reversing aging thru/ massage and other good practices works - cause I am doing those things, too!

It sure cannot hurt . . .
For some of us, keeping the past with us, and making constant internal judgments about some of its contents, is a major stressor. If only we can finally learn to live in the present! Don't some indigenous cultures have the one-up on that?

Blue Zones: Can 'Blue Zones' Help Turn Back the Biological Clock? : NPR

Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have this fantasy that I think is part-way true: I think that if I get enough rest...I will return to my youthful self.

Now that I'm retired, I use that theory as a basis for my daily naps. I'll let you know, in @ 20 years, if it works.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
So I am going to hang onto the fantasy that if the current stress ends, I will rest up and take years off . . .this hope keeps me going!
Hopefully in the near term you will find a way to rid yourself of the stressors, or at least not let them have as much impact. Whether rest alone will take years off is unclear (but I like the fantasy!). What I can recommend is exercise of some sort - the more you can undertake, the better. Not everyone is physically up to a full bore workout, but even a "sit and be fit" routine can have some positive impacts, and serve as a good introduction to physical activity. The act of being physical not only is good for the body, but it takes one's mind off of mental and emotional stress. At a minimum, exercise can forestall some aspects of aging and can sometimes even reverse some of the "damage" natural wear and tear has inflicted on body and spirit.

The good news is that you can exercise now, even while you wait to get these stressors out of your life. I wish you the best.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For some of us, keeping the past with us, and making constant internal judgments about some of its contents, is a major stressor. If only we can finally learn to live in the present! Don't some indigenous cultures have the one-up on that?

Blue Zones: Can 'Blue Zones' Help Turn Back the Biological Clock? : NPR
Wonderful article! I have been researching such things for over 30 years and believe that incorporating an orderly life, meditation, diet, regular outdoor activity, etc make all the difference in how we deal with stress - and how we age, as well.

I think there is a LOT we can do to optimize our own health and wellness - and many of those things also reduce stress. I started yoga and meditation in college and have kept it up all these years. I am sure it has made a huge difference in my quality of life.

Of course, I have had my periods where I have gotten too self-absorbed w/ "problems" -- and I have had to remind myself to get back on track w/ taking time for ME.

I have noticed my life goes much smoother - even with the impact of my hubby's health problems - when I concentrate more on envisioning how I want my life to be than spending time on pondering the things I cannot change.

Oh - and naps. I think naps are a very good thing to help us de-stress as well as give the body a chance to "renew itself."

Last edited by brokensky; 07-18-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,972 times
This might be a bit off topic, but stress does age us; some are better than others at warding it off than others.

I had an aunt that live to 85, never seemed stressed about anything (could have been the booze). But then she wasn't married and didn't have children and was always somewhat of an enigma for her time.. More like Auntie Mame to us as nieces, we thought she was the greatest and a lot of fun... She was basically very happy with her choices in life, had fun and lots of friends.

She drank and smoked heavily right up until they forced her into a nursing home from a broken hip. The nursing home did her in, I do believe. They took away her happy hour and nicotine.. too much stress for her body to handle cold turkey.

And death from boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement