Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I'll be a lifer, too. Maybe we'll be the happiest people in the end????
I'm holding on to that thought, and I do believe it's true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 01:28 PM

202 posts, read 821,191 times
Default don't like being a foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I have also looked into Mexico quite a bit, as well as Costa Rica, Panama and Equador. What concerns me is the growing lawlessness that might make me a target just because I get a SS check (and am therefore a "rich" gringo). If you know of reasons why I should not be concerned, please share them with me.
I've vacationed in Puerto Vallarta for 15 yrs and seriously thought about buying there. Over time, I decided that I would not be happy because no matter what you do, you're still a foreigner and will be treated as such. Heard too many nightmare stories of when things go bad there is no justice for gringos. Also, I have watched the dollar decline in value to where some of the grocery prices were higher than at home, and I live in an area with high prices (Alaska). A person told me what some unscrupulous developers do is sell a project, fail to maintain it and let it fall into disrepair. The gringos hire Mexican attorneys who charge them plenty and the courts rule in favor of the developer. The gringos end up selling for a song or abandoning the units, then the developer comes in and remodels and sells them again. You need to be very careful and hire an honest lawyer to insure your legal claim to the property and I would only buy a stand alone property. I do have a friend living in PV just fine, but he knew the ins and outs of the system.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:49 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
I've vacationed in Puerto Vallarta for 15 yrs and seriously thought about buying there. Over time, I decided that I would not be happy because no matter what you do, you're still a foreigner and will be treated as such. Heard too many nightmare stories of when things go bad there is no justice for gringos. Also, I have watched the dollar decline in value to where some of the grocery prices were higher than at home, and I live in an area with high prices (Alaska). A person told me what some unscrupulous developers do is sell a project, fail to maintain it and let it fall into disrepair. The gringos hire Mexican attorneys who charge them plenty and the courts rule in favor of the developer. The gringos end up selling for a song or abandoning the units, then the developer comes in and remodels and sells them again. You need to be very careful and hire an honest lawyer to insure your legal claim to the property and I would only buy a stand alone property. I do have a friend living in PV just fine, but he knew the ins and outs of the system.
I am not surprised, and thanks for the info. I had heard the graft down there rivals anything here. This would be particularly scary if one retired down there alone, or ended up alone. It's a lovely place,but it seems like the underbelly is just too much.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:30 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
I wondered also about the Mexico area specifically Mazatlan since it seems much cheaper than Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas. But we are hestitant because as nice as it is to visit, do we really want to put all our "eggs in a basket" and move everything to Mexico. The idea that we will always be foreigners keeps popping up in my head as someone else mentioned and maybe it won't be as nice living there as it would be on vacation. I just wonder if anyone else has moved there in retirement or thinking about it.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
That is something to think about. Thank you for your comments.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:49 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,406 times
Default Look up this one!

Holiday, FL. Cheap rent. Close to hospitals.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCK View Post
How much is the rent and the A/C bill?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCK View Post
I'm so glad you posted this. Tarpon Springs is on my list of places to check out and it's right near there. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM

198 posts, read 354,556 times
Try Zephyr Hill while you are in that area.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:46 AM

15 posts, read 53,747 times
I realise this is a very old thread but if anyone is still interested -
I will apologise in advance in case i upset someone.
I just can't understand this thread at all.
Offshore living was discounted from the beginning.
Katie said "(apartment to rent) that is below $600/month" -- hell, you can live offshore with ALL expenses included, for less than that, not just rent.
Why people igniore the benefits of offhsore living, fails me completely.
Who says you can't work offshore?? - Technically, no, but who's going to find out.

Greg
Married Australian retiree, living in Malaysia on around US$600 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement