Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I'm no longer young, and I prefer to be called...
Alive/Breathing 1 3.45%
Wise ___ /Charming/Venerable/Angel/No Fool/Golden Ager 0 0%
Dinosaur/Ancient/Old Fart/Old Buzzard/Old Hen/Geriatric/Older than Dirt/Don't give a **** no more 3 10.34%
Elder 5 17.24%
55+ (65+, etc.) 4 13.79%
Geezer/Geezette 0 0%
Old/Older 3 10.34%
Oldster/Old-Timer 3 10.34%
Recycled Teenager/Dusty/Youth-Challenged 0 0%
Senior/Seasoned Citizen 3 10.34%
Twilighter 2 6.90%
Other 6 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:49 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,832,349 times

Advertisements

If earth was a holiday for angels...and we were soon to go home....call me what you want- as I leave this haunt...to return too being alone. You come into this world and believe- That you will never leave. Or remember being born and I won't recall my dying...it's almost over and like my old dog Rover...it all over but the crying...

That's the cruel joke of life-- you are a miracle that turns to dust...Born an immortal only to find yourself betrayed by God...and have your own dust kicked into your eternal eyes.... I some times wonder about that guy God.....I seem to miss his humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This topic deserves its own thread . . .(the politics of aging in the Western World) . . ."elders" are revered in tribes, but in American culture are defiled . . .

I have seen it with my own family - pushed aside . . . it is not perceived that there has been any wisdom gained as a result of living years on the planet . . .no one comes to you (or me, specifically) and asks what lessons have been learned . . .

No rites of passage or wisdom of the ages are shared via elders . . .it's disappointing, and actually goes against survival instincts, from my vantage point.

Lots of "mistakes" my children and grandchild have made I can see could have been easily avoided if they had come to me for counsel . . .but no, the American way is "Every MAN for himself," and "shove the old, useless bastards aside."
Actually there is a ceremony honoring a woman entering into her Elder Years...it's called a Croning Ceremony. This ritual means:

"The word crone is derived from the word cronus (time) and it means the wisdom gained through life long experiences. Krone also means crown. To become crowned crone then, acknowledges that you are a wise woman who has gathered up the fruits of her experience into profound and sovereign understanding. The wise crone becomes the resource of wisdom for her community and a source of inspiration for her circle of cronies."--from the website Choice Ceremonies: Other Rites - Croning and Crowning

My age-mates and I had a croning ceremony.. Eight of us celebrated this together. It was very, very powerful and meaningful. I had tears streaming down my face. And you're right, we need more meaningful rituals in our lives. A Croning Ceremony might be a place to start.

Has anyone participated in a Croning Ceremony?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,936,273 times
I have known people who think of themselves as crones and it's fine - and the ceremonies can be lovely, BUT it's preaching to the choir . . . young people don't care so from my point-of-view, it's just an activity with little meaning that kind of "keeps you off the streets," in terms of bothering people . . .

Old 08-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have known people who think of themselves as crones and it's fine - and the ceremonies can be lovely, BUT it's preaching to the choir . . . young people don't care so from my point-of-view, it's just an activity with little meaning that kind of "keeps you off the streets," in terms of bothering people . . .
Oh gosh, I found this ceremony so rich with meaningful...it's when I fully accepted my aging as a positive rather than a negative. Sure, young folks might not understand (and often I don't understand them either) but the Croning Ceremony helped me accept the most crucial person of all--myself as elder. Not an easy task for many of us in today's ageist world.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,936,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh gosh, I found this ceremony so rich with meaningful...it's when I fully accepted my aging as a positive rather than a negative. Sure, young folks might not understand (and often I don't understand them either) but the Croning Ceremony helped me accept the most crucial person of all--myself as elder. Not an easy task for many of us in today's ageist world.
Well, then it was very worthwhile.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,028,347 times
I think we, as a society, focus too much on age.

I just have to share this story:

I ran into a old friend and we were chatting and he mentioned he had run into his ex-wife. He says: "And did you know that she is 61!!!!!" (there was a definite EW factor is his voice). I said "How old are you?" "I'm only 59" I said: "And this surprises you - did you not know her age when you were married and know that she was a couple years older than you?" "Well, yes, BUT~~~~" I could have pummeled him. BTW - he is almost bald and what hair he has is solid white plus he has put on about 80 lbs. She has her natural color and has all her hair and hasn't gained a lb.

That imaginary line between 50 something and 60 something is hugh to some.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM

Ah, yes. The ewww factor in aging...but it's changing a little bit, perhaps? Our Secretary of State is in her mid-sixties...and has flown 750,000 miles during her appointment so far. She's certainly not in a rocking chair collecting Social Security.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times
Quote:
Ah, yes. The ewww factor in aging...but it's changing a little bit, perhaps? Our Secretary of State is in her mid-sixties...and has flown 750,000 miles during her appointment so far. She's certainly not in a rocking chair collecting Social Security.
It's hard to overcome. Even we do it. I started a thread listing all the olympians who are 55+ and barely anyone's even looked at it. Is it an ingrained habit, a need to make them invisible? There are even some gold medalists on that list. Gold medalists who are 55+! Amazing to think that even we refuse to see people over 55 who are vital.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:26 AM

941 posts, read 1,805,735 times
I like the term "ELDER".. it has a degree of built in respect to it..

Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM

517 posts, read 1,093,897 times
Quote:

Actually there is a ceremony honoring a woman entering into her Elder Years...it's called a Croning Ceremony....
You made me curious to look up "crone" on the Internet.

I was surprised to see in consulting Webster's online that there is only the pejorative definition of "crone." I would have expected to see, as an additional definition at least, something reflecting the acquired wisdom idea (because the word is certainly used in that latter sense by many, including sometimes in discussions of the archetype in literature/popular culture).

However, there are many interesting comments added by readers after the word definition on that latter usage of the term. (That's a nice feature on Webster's that they include tell-us-why-you-looked-up-this-word comments--makes reading the dictionary more fun!)

It's interesting that the similar word (just one letter apart) "crony" doesn't have a negative component in its Webster's definition (although it always has for me, as I've most often--though not exclusively--heard it used to describe bad behavior--as in "The politicians gave all the jobs to their cronies").

"Curmudgeon" is also an interesting word to look up. The Webster's definition is also entirely pejorative, but if you read far enough down in the comments there is the idea of the curmudgeon as someone who has high standards and has the perception to not be in denial of the negative things/absurdities in life and is a debunker, who may use humor to debunk--not a mere crank or kvetch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement