Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 03:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times

Advertisements

Ok, your retired. Or soon to retire. Or disabled and sort of forced retired. But did you/do you have a dream of what you'd like, no limitations imposed by fiancial/medical reality?

Mine was to be a gypsy. A nice big RV. Me and my pets and a comfortable friend. Not spouse, done with that, but someone cogenial to spend the time with. I wouldn't have a gameplan, just decide to go that direction and see what you found. I'd like to travel, but not to big places but little ones where one could choose to hunkerdown for a while and enjoy until it was time to move on.

One of my old roomates aunt and uncle did this. They had a large, and nice mobile home, but spent most of the year traveling. Their RV was better appointed than their house. They had a friend who 'lived with them' live in the mobile when they were out and about. The time I visited they had been there a month and were just itching to go.

This was a in the 80's but what they did was not just constantly move but stay a few weeks, even a month if they liked the place enough so it was very reasonable cost wise for them.

Sadly, I am stuck where I am and don't have a car so its just a dream. Or, maybe, someday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
My retirement dream has less to do with place and more to do with happenings. I do not like to travel, am not a happy camper. I'm a home body. My ideal would be very low taxes, more house animals, the incentive to get back to my artwork, and a grandchild. Those things fulfilled and I could die happy. I can die sort of happy anyway, but I'd die happier with those things in place.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times
Mine would be to have greater connectivity with my siblings and friends. I'd like to be able to live well, in a place of my choosing - and spend more time with them by either having them come to visit us for more than just a week...

I'd also like to travel to their homes (we are spread out all over the country) and stay with them for extended periods.

The internet connection is wonderful. F2F is better. Working fulltime has precluded long vacations...

Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
I would love to have money for travel. Enough money that I didn't have to worry about money.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
I already have my dream houses:

guest cottage where I can garden and rent out the main house and have my bills paid - it's very private because it's on corner and it's like a separate lot

lakefront cabin on three lots.

What I want is enough money to travel - in style if I wish or not...I would also like to be able to take college courses (great summer programs at Ivies and Oxford/Cambridge are what I have in mind). I would also like to fund scholarships and awards at my high school alma mater. I have a restored '66 Mustang (my late Daddy's) and a 1957 Buick I would like to restore (also a family heirloom).

I think I can make this work --- I'm near the end of my plan -- let's hope bad health or death does not get in the way!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Mine would be to have greater connectivity with my siblings...
I have to laugh because to "bond" in retirement, two of my sisters and I just took a trip together and nearly killed each other, bickering the whole way and "letting all the old issues" out late at night in the hotel room. So much for sibling connectivity, it's a miracle we made it home in one piece, especially with the one who was driving. (But, to be fair, we did laugh a lot and in general had a great time, overcoming our differences and all that entailed, lol).

Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,978 times
A healthy mind in the body of a 25-year old, how about that?

With no financial or medical impediments, parts of the year in about 3 different parts of the world, perhaps south of France of the Med., South Pacific with some time at home in Canada, with a couple of months a year travelling to new places. Or perhaps part of it on a sailboat.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,373 times
No dreams or wishes - I'm quite content with what I have. I consider that viewpoint one of my life's great achievements.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
My dream retirement would be one in which I'm surrounded by loving, attentive, supportive, caring children, grandchildren, neighbors, and friends.

My children love me but live 1500+ miles away, busy with their own lives, no grandchildren in sight. My neighbors are nice enough while they're neighbors but they keep selling their homes and moving away, the turnover rate is high. I have a handful of great friends but alas they too are scattered throughout the U.S. The closest two live 100+ miles from here. (for what it's worth: all these moved away, I've stayed in the same community for 35 years.)

Other than that, my retirement life couldn't be better, it's far exceeded my expectations.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
...guest cottage where I can garden and rent out the main house and have my bills paid - it's very private because it's on corner and it's like a separate lot

lakefront cabin on three lots.

What I want is enough money to travel - in style if I wish or not...I would also like to be able to take college courses (great summer programs at Ivies and Oxford/Cambridge are what I have in mind). ...!
This would be good enough for me, tho I would like a big enough parcel to have some animals (cows / sheep, that someone else can care for while I'm traveling). I also need a workshop / barn / w/ apartment for frequent visitors.

Good health and extensive travel, while having a cozy place to come home to is perfect. I can fill in the blank spots.

Happy 'dreaming' (I certainly have lowered my expectations in the last 50 yrs, but none-the-less have been well cared for, and never 'suffered' for want... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement