Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM

915 posts, read 2,129,715 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I have no idea where I'm going to retire. Obviously, Greece is not a good choice. This question has been driving me nuts for a number of years and I just have no clue.

Giving it some thought, my preferences might include:
  1. Place to continue educational courses such as Suzuki training, or a DMA in violin or viola, or maybe finish the EdD in educational technology I started -- even a junior college that teaches media arts would be good;
  2. Place where medical marijuana is available (I have MS); I can't smoke anything, but I could cook with it, and I think it would make me feel better. It's not that crucial, however, and I can live without it;
  3. Good yoga programs;
  4. Good medical care;
  5. Place where liberal views are not a professional drawback (so I don't have to hide my views);
  6. Place where I can find a lot of good private students (I teach violin/viola & piano);
  7. Reasonable COL;
  8. I would really like to live somewhere, where I could swim outside every day, but that might entail living in a very hot climate or a place plagued by hurricanes;
  9. Rather than get another degree in music, I think I would like to do art, including photography and webpage design (to update my current skills); I have a collection of pen & ink drawings that I would like to do something with, market, actually.
My choices, thus far, include (in no special order of preference):
  1. Santa Fe: Good community college (SFCC) with a lot of interesting courses to take [media arts, vegetarian cooking, yoga, Art], and inexpensive. It's cold, however, COL is expensive, and the streets are very narrow. SF has the fewest natural disasters of any location in the US. Good farmers' market. Great yoga & Aikido programs. "10,000 Waves" is there (Japanese spa). No doctoral programs suitable for me, but I might be able to get a lot of good adult students;
  2. Denver: DU has a great Suzuki training program (cost: 7K, but worth it, I think). Also cold, and I wonder how healthy it is to live there (I have slight COPD). Medical mj. Great yoga & Aikido programs;
  3. Tucson: Great DMA in violin/viola with a conducting piece which is intriguing. Warm, low COL (around the university). Could rent a unit with a pool and swim every day.
All three of these places are a relatively short move from my current location, and doable. Your thoughts appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by mvintar; 08-05-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Look at Vegas too. Has low COL, great entertainment and a huge music scene. It's one of the few places that still has work for people in entertainment.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM

915 posts, read 2,129,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Look at Vegas too. Has low COL, great entertainment and a huge music scene. It's one of the few places that still has work for people in entertainment.
Vegas _was_ on the list, actually. And UNLV has a new DMA in violin, also. I think I took it off the list because I just got through with a cancer scare and I'm concerned about skin cancer. The other issue with Vegas is that the economy there is the "worst in the country" by some reports -- which probably means fewer people with money for private lessons.

But yes; I'd love to go to Circ de Soleil all the time, etc.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:53 PM

116 posts, read 272,980 times
You won't be swimming in Tucson everyday if that is a goal. Comfortable swim season May to Sep, other than that cold.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:03 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
Strike Denver. Cold in the winter, traffic from hell and terminally unattractive.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
think place to live are so individual by requiremnt that your pretty much on your own. One thing tho is if it aapeals to you as ideal then it appeals to others and is likely expensive ;especailly ideal liberal klce with large goverment controls. mnay of the place you described where sought by say artist originally because of inspiratio in a place away from people in any numbers.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Sounds to me as if the ::::shudder:::: Left Coast could be your Nirvana.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,658,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sounds to me as if the ::::shudder:::: Left Coast could be your Nirvana.
I was thinking the same thing except for the cost of living...how about Baja Cali...lots of Yanks there...

Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Tucson is okay, but Las Vegas isn't because of a cancer scare. I don't get that one.

BTW we just got home a few hours ago from a 3 week stay in Las Vegas ( Sun City Anthem in Henderson actually) and loved it. Yes, it's hot (dry heat isn't a myth after all), but a friend of ours who moved to Dallas/Fort Worth told us that you simply switch the seasons. Here we stay inside more in the winter, there you stay inside more in the summer. Go out early or late, stay in in the middle of the day.

And I think Henderson might be like the city we live in. Even with the economy shot our city is doing well. A good number of jobs, a lot well paying, and financially stable.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Dallas easily hits 8 of your 10.
Does that mean I think Dallas is your dream retirement spot? No. It does mean that maybe your list needs tweaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
[*]Place to continue educational courses such as Suzuki training, or a DMA in violin or viola, or maybe finish the EdD in educational technology I started -- even a junior college that teaches media arts would be good;[*]Place where medical marijuana is available (I have MS); I can't smoke anything, but I could cook with it, and I think it would make me feel better. It's not that crucial, however, and I can live without it;[*]Good yoga programs;[*]Good medical care;[*]Place where liberal views are not a professional drawback (so I don't have to hide my views);[*]Place where I can find a lot of good private students (I teach violin/viola & piano);[*]Reasonable COL;[*]I would really like to live somewhere, where I could swim outside every day, but that might entail living in a very hot climate or a place plagued by hurricanes;[*]Rather than get another degree in music, I think I would like to do art, including photography and webpage design (to update my current skills); I have a collection of pen & ink drawings that I would like to do something with, market, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement