Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,155,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Oh, geez. Aren't you a couple hours west of the coast? Hmm. Maybe I should monitor this storm.

I have no food in the freezer/fridge, so I don't need ice. Maybe I'll fill the tub with water for toilet flushing. Thanks for the suggestion about filling the tank as mine is on empty. (No surprise.) I have candles, but misplaced my wind-up radio. Bummer.

If it starts heading toward Maryland, I'll back up my computer files and make sure the family photos are in a water proof container. Fill a few jugs with water and buy some chocolate and wine. Done.

Am I forgetting anything?
Lenora, you are one of the folks I was thinking of and after that freak storm hit you guys back in the Spring who konws this time. A storm surge up the Chesapeake is possible and that would be a major problem as you know. One of the models has you as a real possible target and the other major one has you on the southern end. At any rate best of luck and you may want to be prepared to be without power for up to five days. Not sure if you were without the last time but I know folks who were and it wasn't very pretty for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,178,753 times
Lenora, it's a large storm (three weather events meeting, which is why they're calling it a Perfect Storm. Overly dramatic, it's true, but that's the reasoning.). So even if you're a few hours away from it they're saying the winds could be in the 50-80 zone and you can expect a very large amount of rain. Also it's going to be very cold--western fringe of the storm will have a large amount of cold wet snow. The problem is it's coinciding with the falling leaves, which could mean clogged sewers. That can cause additional problems. Plus, since most of the leaves haven't fallen yet, the wet branches the break off will be very heavy.

Not a big deal to worry about, but something to pay attention to, IMO. Odds are pretty good you may lose power. If you're going to prune your trees anyway, the next few days would be a good time to get that done. OTOH if you have plans for the weekend I wouldn't cancel them. If you're running in the Marine Corps Marathon--go right ahead, you'll just get a bit wet.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM

400 posts, read 740,290 times
Getting ready here on Long Island, too. During the last storm we only lost power for 36 hours, but many of my colleagues went without electricity for 5 or 6 days. I'm hoping that won't be the case this time, for any of us.

I've got my water, batteries, hurricane lamps, cat food... My honey is going to move his Alfa Romeo someplace where it won't blow away. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but a cooler or two full of ice will help preserve food after the fridge warms up.

We have a lot of tall trees, so that's worrisome.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,029,355 times
The combination of winter storm down from Canada, harsher weather coming in from the Midwest, and the hurricane swooping far inland from the South is predicted to create a conflagration of possible major proportions. So it could be bad inland, even if we don't get an actual N'Easter (snow) but it sure will rain heavilty. The real risk is trees and limbs down that knock out power for days at a time, from simply strong winds. New England already has its emergency plan and crews in place, with electric companies having emergency help from all over the country on tap.

Many of us learned from the last October N'Easter, which brought down power between 7 and 10+ days, to be prepared. My Red Cross training comes in handy, I learned how to prepare an "emergency car trunk" because depending on what happens one could have to vacate the premises and go to a shelter. Several years ago at my previous house an enormous tree crashed onto the house next door during a freak tornado. The occupants had to leave. In other areas, downed lines in big fall storms caught leaves on fire and threatened the nearby homes.

Emergency kits that include head lamp, battery/windup radio, lanterns, water, food, clothing (all ready to go), dogfood, meds, etc etc. are something a lot of people are making sure they have this year. I was at Home Depot today and there wasn't a lantern to be seen, nor any kind of generator. I picked up a few items just to have extra. Some people either overreact or don't prepare at all, thinking of all the false alarms, but the weather fiasco here exactly a year ago is still fresh in our minds.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,155,772 times
The forecast for us in the Triangle (Raleigh) are becoming a bit more intense. Not real bad just more rain than previously predicted and over a wider area. The beach will get some wind with a good deal more rain. Nothing like folks further up the coast will get.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,065,874 times
I would certainly clear out if I lived near the Harbor or in Middle River/Essex. (Horrible storm surge after Isabelle.)

Filled my tank, picked up a radio, batteries, and a working flashlight.

I went to Walmart late this evening to pick up a can opener and forgot the can opener. (I remembered I needed something, just couldn't remember what.) Instead, I picked up cans of pumpkin for Thanksgiving, a bag of snicker bars, pop tarts, Pringle chips and bedroom slippers. Unfortunately, I have since eaten half of the Pringles and two of the pop tarts. I think I am hopeless.

I just read that it was possible that we may have up to two weeks without electricity. If that happens, I will not be a happy camper. However, I will be super unhappy if my two old maple trees are uprooted and fall on my house.

I really hope this thing moves out to sea.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:36 AM

107,386 posts, read 109,774,002 times
we are 3 blocks from the bay in queens . we have never ever had a history of any flooding but no one knows what to expect so we are all a little uneasy.

i heard someone on the radio say if this was snow it would be 9ft..

Old 10-27-2012, 05:29 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,399,805 times
If I loose power I loose my heat, cooking and water too since the pump for the well doesn't run. So at this point I've got about 50 gallons of water set aside, brought in both of the kerosene heaters and got 10 gallons of kerosene to run them. Got the snow shovel from the shed and put it on the covered back porch and the Coleman two burner and several propane canisters are also tucked in to the corner of the porch for cooking. I've gotten several loads of laundry done, will get one or two more done over the next couple of days. I once had a washer full of water and clothes and a dryer full of wet towels stop when power went out unexpectedly. I'll make a big crock pot of stew since it can be easily reheated and is good comfort food for times like this.

Got most of the outside furniture, umbrellas, grill, wind chimes, hanging lanterns, etc. put away in the shed. Today I will bring in as much firewood as I can reasonably fit in the house, which is not much. Why don't people who build a house with a wood burning fireplace take in to consideration the need to have a place for some wood?

I need to get a bale of straw so I can put some in the feral cat house to help them stay warm and dry. I'll put several large bowls of food in their house so I don't have to battle lifting the roof up when winds are high.

The kindle, with it's lighted cover has been charged up so I'll at least be able to read for entertainment. This will also be a good time to lay out and cut all the fabric I have to make curtains and drapes for several rooms.

I wish all in the path of this storm stay safe and well and that power outages are not as wide spread or long lasting as predicted.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,573,433 times
Here's hoping that anyone that is new to using a generator KNOWS that is has to be OUTDOORS and 20 feet from you residence. It seems everytime we have this type of emergency someone ends up dead from using a generator indoors, from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 AM

2,121 posts, read 3,039,605 times
Getting ready here in Culpeper Co. Va. also. Headed out to stock up on the essentials this morning. Then out to the yard to secure what needs to be dealt with. Having lived in Fl. for 30+ years I'm used to it. Got the kennels ready for the 3 dogs and 14 cats, DD and SIL and the 4 grands are here, one big happy family. Be safe everyone. Great reminder about the generators, too bad I don't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement