Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,878,398 times

Advertisements

First, for anyone with relatives in the VA area, my sister just called and said it didn't amount to very much after all. They're be cleaning up twigs for some time to come. Some places, like libraries, will be closed tomorrow.

Here, we have been busy all day. The popup camper is now moved and tarped over, I'm packed in case we have to evacuate, I called the town Emergency services (a good phone number to enter into your contacts, btw), and learned where the evacuation place is and left my cell number so I can still get Red Alerts even if the regular phone won't work.

Water in containers, family photos up high and covered in plastic even though they are in metal boxes, flashlights. Documents and address book packed in plastic folders that seal, cell phone is charging and there is a charger in the car anyway. Anything that would go with me is already in waterproof tote bags that zip (I always knew those would come in handy). Car has gas, I have cash.

The bad times here are noon tomorrow and midnight tomorrow--high tide. Our area could be cut off from the rest of the town so I'm glad I signed up for the Red Alerts.

Glad to hear from catsy girl, lenora and others who are in the path of this monster. Thank you, any and all who have provided suggestions. I've been through hurricanes at Cape Cod long ago but then I wasn't so close to the ocean and was not in my own home with the possibility of losing possessions.

Everyone stay safe and take care. If you live near water, don't be tempted to go there and have a look at it because there's nothing to see but gray and it's much windier and more dangerous than where you are.

If it looks bad tomorrow morning or if we get the word to evacuate, then man, woman, and dog are going. To the SENIOR CENTER LOL. That's the shelter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
First, for anyone with relatives in the VA area, my sister just called and said it didn't amount to very much after all. They're be cleaning up twigs for some time to come. Some places, like libraries, will be closed tomorrow.
Glad to hear Norfolk fared well. I'm a little surprised because the Williamsburg newspapers say they're expecting the storm to hit tonight, but maybe that's old news and the storm already went through? Whatever the case, it's good news that your sister hasn't seen damage.

As an FYI for those not familiar with VA, this is a large state. The storm hasn't arrive up our way in Northern VA yet. It should be hitting tonight, moreso tomorrow and Tuesday. Schools, offices, trains, and all non emergency offices of the Federal Govt. are closed tomorrow. Early voting has also been closed. The surge up the Chesapeake is expected to be 1-4 feet, which doesn't sound too bad. River rising along the Potomac might be an issue Tuesday morning. I'm actually more concerned about storm drains clogging from the leaves, but today I saw many people cleaning them out, so maybe that won't be a problem.

I have a feeling this storm won't end up being as bad as it could be--it's good to be prepared for a worst case scenario but I don't think that's what we'll actually get.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,664,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If it looks bad tomorrow morning or if we get the word to evacuate, then man, woman, and dog are going. To the SENIOR CENTER LOL. That's the shelter!
Be sure that they will allow your dog. Most evacuation centers will not. However, you may be able to stay in your car with minimal contact if the senior center is in a safe area..

Don't forget food for your pup.

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,394,278 times
Here on Cape Cod, people aren't getting in a tizzy. I brought in some Halloween decorations and turned my patio tables upside down. We didn't stock up on anything. If the power goes out, and it's for days, then we'll take a road trip and find a hotel. Met up with my 79 y/o neighbor and she's headed out tomorrow to get her car repaired. She lives alone, I told her to call if she needed anything, and she shrugged it off like... What can happen? I'm finding a lot of that here. I'm starting to catch the it's-no-big-deal fever.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,571,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Glad to hear Norfolk fared well. I'm a little surprised because the Williamsburg newspapers say they're expecting the storm to hit tonight, but maybe that's old news and the storm already went through? Whatever the case, it's good news that your sister hasn't seen damage.

As an FYI for those not familiar with VA, this is a large state. The storm hasn't arrive up our way in Northern VA yet. It should be hitting tonight, moreso tomorrow and Tuesday. Schools, offices, trains, and all non emergency offices of the Federal Govt. are closed tomorrow. Early voting has also been closed. The surge up the Chesapeake is expected to be 1-4 feet, which doesn't sound too bad. River rising along the Potomac might be an issue Tuesday morning. I'm actually more concerned about storm drains clogging from the leaves, but today I saw many people cleaning them out, so maybe that won't be a problem.

I have a feeling this storm won't end up being as bad as it could be--it's good to be prepared for a worst case scenario but I don't think that's what we'll actually get.
At 5 pm today - Sandy was offshore the coast of southern North Carolina. Robyn

Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM

2,077 posts, read 3,450,570 times
Can I mention one small positive that I mentioned over on the NoVa forum? Just realized tonight that in the last 24 hours we have had next to NO political phone calls. Living in the swing state of Virginia, this has definitely been a welcome relief!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Here on Cape Cod, people aren't getting in a tizzy. I brought in some Halloween decorations and turned my patio tables upside down. We didn't stock up on anything. If the power goes out, and it's for days, then we'll take a road trip and find a hotel. Met up with my 79 y/o neighbor and she's headed out tomorrow to get her car repaired. She lives alone, I told her to call if she needed anything, and she shrugged it off like... What can happen? I'm finding a lot of that here. I'm starting to catch the it's-no-big-deal fever.
I don't know about Cape Cod in particular - because this is a huge storm. But when I hear stuff like this - I want to hit people upside their heads. This is the website I watch most closely when it comes to storms where I live - and what the webmaster (a meteorologist who is not prone to hyperbole) has to say about this storm:

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Dangerous Hurricane Sandy continues north past North Carolina | Weather Underground

FWIW - at least here in Florida - we don't put our first responders in harm's way if people don't heed storm warnings. We leave them to their own devices if the sh** hits the fan. Guess - after watching this happen time and time again - even some of the dumbest people here become prudent. Robyn

Old 10-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Be sure that they will allow your dog. Most evacuation centers will not. However, you may be able to stay in your car with minimal contact if the senior center is in a safe area..

Don't forget food for your pup.

Good luck.
I don't think that's a good idea in general. If you're in a car - you're exposed to the elements (unless you're driving a considerable distance from the storm). Not to mention that it won't exactly be warm in a lot of these areas - and it wouldn't be safe to keep your car on all night to keep you warm. Robyn

Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
At 5 pm today - Sandy was offshore the coast of southern North Carolina. Robyn
Yeah it hasn't gotten there yet. This is just the front of the front edge.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:33 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Can I mention one small positive that I mentioned over on the NoVa forum? Just realized tonight that in the last 24 hours we have had next to NO political phone calls. Living in the swing state of Virginia, this has definitely been a welcome relief!
LOL LOL so true! We got two calls today, but only two--thanks Sandy! And even better, nobody knocking on my door. Quite a few people were even taking down their election signs. Usually it takes forever to see those signs come off a median after an election--not this year, I guess. Either they got carefully removed today or mother nature will take care of it tomorrow. Wednesday the election insanity returns--but for two days we'll get a break. Who says there are no silver linings.

Last edited by Caladium; 10-28-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement