Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

We took advantage of our first senior discount at a local restaurant at age 55. Then when the crunch hit they raised it to 60 so we lost it for a couple of years. I still get people thinking I'm in my mid 50s at 61, so I try to believe it but I am reminded when I do take a senior discount or order off the senior menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 12:53 PM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
Well, for the first time ever the other day I was OFFERED a senior discount without even asking for it. :-( Now that was depressing, LOL

I hadn't been in that store (Kohls) before and so had no idea they even had a discount; turns out theirs is for anyone over 60, on Wednesdays only. Fifteen percent.

I felt SLIGHTLY better that it was for age 60 and up instead of 65, lol.

I guess I haven't quite internalized my actual age because unless there's a sign or something at the cash register I never remember or think to ask if there is a senior discount. Not sure whether that is a good or a bad thing, psychologically, LOL

Old 04-03-2014, 01:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Default What Age?

How about the day before my funeral? Can I do that and still get my senior discounts until then?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm 71 now and not sure how my age SHOULD look/act, because nobody has ever been able to tell me, but I know I'm really only 35.
Ha - according to this, I haven't even hit 30 yet I bet you're about the same!
What's your mental age?

"The mental age test is a quick game with 12 questions. There are no right or wrong answers, so be honest and don't think about the questions for too long. The result is not based on any scientific study so don't take it too seriously – it's just for fun! How young at heart are you? Take the test and find out!"

Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Well, for the first time ever the other day I was OFFERED a senior discount without even asking for it. :-( Now that was depressing, LOL

I hadn't been in that store (Kohls) before and so had no idea they even had a discount; turns out theirs is for anyone over 60, on Wednesdays only. Fifteen percent.

I felt SLIGHTLY better that it was for age 60 and up instead of 65, lol.

I guess I haven't quite internalized my actual age because unless there's a sign or something at the cash register I never remember or think to ask if there is a senior discount. Not sure whether that is a good or a bad thing, psychologically, LOL
I never even think about a senior discount but if I shopped more often I might. We have a McDonald's where I work and they automatically give me a discount if I buy coffee. I guess I look old enough. lol

Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ha - according to this, I haven't even hit 30 yet I bet you're about the same!
What's your mental age?

"The mental age test is a quick game with 12 questions. There are no right or wrong answers, so be honest and don't think about the questions for too long. The result is not based on any scientific study so don't take it too seriously – it's just for fun! How young at heart are you? Take the test and find out!"
You're right and 30 it is! lol No wonder I enjoy life so much. I still have a LOT of it to live!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:54 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium
At What Age Do You Change From Being "Middle Aged" to Being a "Senior"?
For me, personally, it was this very day that I transitioned from "middle-age" to a "senior". Chronologically, it happened at five months shy of my 63 birthday, and today I had my first, real "senior moment".

Had the day off work today, and finally crawled out of bed somewhere between the ten and eleven o'clock hour. About the only definitive thing on my to-do list for today was to get a hair cut. After taking a shower, I saddled up to the sink to shave. It was then that I saw the little decorative ring that snaps on to the end of my electric toothbrush peaking out from under the cabinet. "Ah! That's where you went to."

I snapped it back on and since I was going to brush my teeth right after shaving, placed the toothbrush on the edge of the sink. I lathered up with shaving cream. Picked up the razor . . . and calmly squeezed the normal amount of toothpaste onto the blades of the razor!

Only after the toothpaste was on the razor and starting to slide off the metal blades that I took my finger to push the paste down a bit and only then did I realize what I did.

(Thankfully, the toothpaste easily washed off with water and the blade was still good.)

My first, genuine, real "senior moment"! (Miss-placing stuff doesn't count. Everybody does that.) I now consider myself officially a "senior".

- - - - -

p.s. My Mental Age as calculated by the link that Gandalara provided above is 33

Old 04-05-2014, 05:41 AM

106,681 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i can deal with being a senior. what i can't get used to is the youngins at the gym calling me sir.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can deal with being a senior. what i can't get used to is the youngins at the gym calling me sir.
Thats strange , most of us seem to "not get any respect" these days. I welcome the attention .

Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 AM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
I ended up with age 39 on the test, which is fine by me (I'm sure I blew it on the memorzing page, LOL, because I just guessed. ;-) )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement