Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM

419 posts, read 656,671 times

Advertisements

Another state to ponder over LOL. Hubby thinks Tennessee would be better than SC. I disagree. We have ruled out NC. I was really looking forward to NC but it really is quite expensive for housing at least in the area we are looking at. The COL is higher than the other two states also.

We are also looking at over 55 communities (Del Webb). Hubby wants to have all the amenities. Me - can take them or leave them. We are not golfers.

Anyone on this board in TN. We are looking at the Nashville area do to a Del Webb community there in Mount Juliet. I'm concerned about the air quality there in TN. Hubby says it is only a few days and we could stay inside during those days. Yea, right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I have personally found Nashville to be too hot, too crowded, and traffic in region poorly managed + susceptible to weather (flood, tornadoes, hail, HUMIDITY).

Thus for my TN winter escape from PNW, I am heading to Tri-cities area. At least you can live in Mtns (cooler), Tornadoes and hail are infrequent. There are many amenities for retirees in the area. I am concentrating on Kingsport (of the 3 choices, I like it best, but it has some 'issues' (factory town) good medical and retirement activities). Between Johnson City and Boone, NC, there are lots of nice small communities and accessible rural properties.

Crossville and Fairfield Glade are popular retirement spot with closer proximity to Nashville. Pleasant Hill is a small retirement community nearby Crossville with continuing levels of care, but few of the services that you find in a Dell Webb. (Many retired pastors / missionaries / older crowd, but semi-rural setting)

Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
Another state to ponder over...
If you generally enjoy living in Tacoma and the west in general...
then you should probably remain out in the west.

The biggest hindrance for most moving TO the west is the upfront (buy in) for real estate.
If you're there already... at retirement age you probably own a home.

A generally reliable source of objective data:
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Do some comparisons and you'll find that $50,000 in Tacoma WA equates to
about $41,000 in Knoxville TN or Greenville SC; $45,000 in Asheville NC or Wilmington NC

But when you back out the real estate related expenses from the COL estimates...
the balance of the common expenses you'll still have won't be much (if any) different anywhere.
Even in places like San Diego which compares at about $62,000.

hth

Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
I assume neither of you work for the Feds which would help in NC as they don't tax Fed pensions. We have eliminated NC for much the same reasons you have. They are overly proud of their land and home values. We'll let someone else pay the inflated prices.

Have you looked into Sun City Hilton Head outside Bluffton, SC? We're going to visit there late spring/early summer and visit Nocatee Sun City (Ponte Vedra on the Del Webb site). It's fairly new and is still being built out, but it's fairly close to Jacksonville and St. Augustine, the ocean is about 15 minutes away, and there is a huge nature preserve just east of the Sun City area.

We are also considering Sun City Anthem in Henderson, NV south of Las Vegas. Prices are going up there but we love the area and I really enjoy Blackjack and Texas Holdem. Not the main reason to move there by any means, but a nice thing to have available once a month or so. We spent three weeks there last year and enjoyed ourselves immensely. The 106 degree heat with low humidity was a cakewalk compared to our high humidity summers here. Everyone we met both at Sun City and during our outings were very friendly and welcoming.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
...in NC as they don't tax Fed pensions.
NC tax rules: Retirement Benefits Deduction

General tax rules by state:
Taxes by State

Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
Yes, Tennessee Tri-Cities- - look into areas just outside of Johnson City like Jonesborough and Gray.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you generally enjoy living in Tacoma and the west in general...
then you should probably remain out in the west.

The biggest hindrance for most moving TO the west is the upfront (buy in) for real estate.
If you're there already... at retirement age you probably own a home.

A generally reliable source of objective data:
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Do some comparisons and you'll find that $50,000 in Tacoma WA equates to
about $41,000 in Knoxville TN or Greenville SC; $45,000 in Asheville NC or Wilmington NC

But when you back out the real estate related expenses from the COL estimates...
the balance of the common expenses you'll still have won't be much (if any) different anywhere.
Even in places like San Diego which compares at about $62,000.

hth
Thanks. but the reason we are leaving is the grey, grey weather constantly. We have about 2 months of summer. I am a CA girl born and raised in San Diego,and moved here in 1983. Love the 4 seasons but I have had it with the constant grey. Don't even mind the rain - but the grey is another story. I lived in NYC when I was a young girl so don't need the preaching about the humidity. Now, hubby is another story. We of course will not buy anything in any area until we see if we like it for weather and other things. San Diego, really, obviously you have never lived there. I don't know where you get your figures but not only for the cost of San Diego but the state government itself. No thanks. People are leaving in droves from CA.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I assume neither of you work for the Feds which would help in NC as they don't tax Fed pensions. We have eliminated NC for much the same reasons you have. They are overly proud of their land and home values. We'll let someone else pay the inflated prices.

Have you looked into Sun City Hilton Head outside Bluffton, SC? We're going to visit there late spring/early summer and visit Nocatee Sun City (Ponte Vedra on the Del Webb site). It's fairly new and is still being built out, but it's fairly close to Jacksonville and St. Augustine, the ocean is about 15 minutes away, and there is a huge nature preserve just east of the Sun City area.

We are also considering Sun City Anthem in Henderson, NV south of Las Vegas. Prices are going up there but we love the area and I really enjoy Blackjack and Texas Holdem. Not the main reason to move there by any means, but a nice thing to have available once a month or so. We spent three weeks there last year and enjoyed ourselves immensely. The 106 degree heat with low humidity was a cakewalk compared to our high humidity summers here. Everyone we met both at Sun City and during our outings were very friendly and welcoming.
I'm a Federal retiree. No, have not looked into Hilton Head. I'm concerned with it being more humid than Fort Mill, SC since it is near the water. We are not beach people. Sounds nice though as far as the nature preserve. I read somewhere that it is more humid and more mosquitos near the beach but who knows?

Nevada - been there. I personally do not like the brown, no lakes (to speak of), no green - and parching sun. I'd rather have some humidity to help my skin thank you. LOL. Have you seen old women who have lived in sun all there lives - there skin is like leather. No thanks. LOL. I lived in San Diego until 1983 except for 8 years in my pre-teen-teen years and I don't like sun 24-7. I know, I'm weird. I really, really love the 4 seasons just can't deal with this grey weather where I am now.

Would love to hear about what you think of the area when you return. We are planning a trip next year. Hubby is 4 years away (if he makes it) from his retirement. Me - I have been retired for 11 years already. Was able, thank God, to retire at 55.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
NC tax rules: Retirement Benefits Deduction

General tax rules by state:
Taxes by State
Thanks have see both. Also comparing COLA's too. I really love the idea of NC - my type of place but hubby has got a say in this adventure too. LOL

Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
the reason we are leaving is the grey... Love the 4 seasons but I have had it with the constant grey.
We of course will not buy anything in any area until we see if we like it for weather and other things.
fwiw... I never mentioned the weather as there is far more to the west than the PNW coast grey.
I suggest that you focus especially on those other social factors when making relocation choices.

btw... I've been there and like it.
Pyallup, Tac Yakima or south through PDX where my son lived until last week were on my short list before I changed my mind about doing the snowbird thing. If I already owned out there I would probably have made a winter spot in AZ the solution to the grey.

Quote:
I don't know where you get your figures but...
Follow the provided link. All numbers are from right there.

Here's another good one:
http://taxfoundation.org/article/sta...year-1977-2010

Quote:
San Diego, really, obviously you have never lived there.
Actually I have (mostly in Orange County) but I left even before you did.
Politics aside... I couldn't afford (or wouldn't justify) the RE costs to remain.

Again...use the provided link to comparison shop COL.
When you back out the real estate related expenses from the COL estimates the balance of
the common expenses you'll still have won't be much (if any) different **anywhere**.
Even in places like San Diego (which does compare at $62,000 vs $50,000 in Tacoma).

Last edited by MrRational; 03-28-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement