Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,370,201 times

Advertisements

Wondering if this could start or open the door to a trend that could seriously affect both the benefits and costs for government retirees.

Who cares about contractual obligations, promissory estoppal and detrimental reliance when it comes to a bunch of washed-up, elderly has-beens anyway?

San Jose, other cities, find it easier to cut retiree health perks than pensions - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Well, I have to say the perks are way out of alignment with the private sector... I don't think its fair that taxpayers get raped by government employees...

Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,601,261 times
In olden days (when I was starting a career) public sector jobs paid significantly less than private sector jobs. The balance was the excellent perks. So I have some sympathy for long-time public sector employees who now have seriously good perks - they've earned 'em.

Entities who try to mess with contractual obligations need to be reminded that "washed-up elderly has-beens" still vote.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM

419 posts, read 656,725 times
From what I understand it did not matter how long you worked and you were given free health care for you and one dependent for LIFE. That is absurd. I worked for the federal government for 30 years and I have health care that I pay for every month - and it is not cheap. What a joke and what a rip off to the others who did not work for the state/city government.

Put them under Obamacare - they are the ones who voted for the joker in office so let them suffer the consequences - good and bad.

Other states will be looking at this too so I think all retirees should be prepared. Anyway, they probably make a good retirement salary so can afford to pay for health insurance.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Frankly, I think what is happening in San Jose will happen elsewhere, and very soon.

Expanding the deductible to $1,500, and co-pay to $40 was a significant change, but I suspect this won't be so out of the norm for many public retiree healthcare plans. It still is a fully paid plan, so the only retiree cost are the deductible and co-pay.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Changing health care and eliminating or capping COLA are some of the easiest reforms to do. They don't have the same legal protections pensions do and state and locals are already doing. In fact since this is a local benefit do state employees in Calif get the same benefit? Do teachers?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
From what I understand it did not matter how long you worked and you were given free health care for you and one dependent for LIFE. That is absurd. I worked for the federal government for 30 years and I have health care that I pay for every month - and it is not cheap. What a joke and what a rip off to the others who did not work for the state/city government.

Put them under Obamacare - they are the ones who voted for the joker in office so let them suffer the consequences - good and bad.

Other states will be looking at this too so I think all retirees should be prepared. Anyway, they probably make a good retirement salary so can afford to pay for health insurance.
Benefits vary from state-to-state as well as differences between counties and municipalities. I am not aware of any entity that doesn't require vesting periods/certain ages for retirement benefits and for healthcare coverage. Except for safety employees (police and fire - way out of line in some places), pensions are generally not munificent. But it's the outrageous ones that get all the press. If it bleeds it leads!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post

Read the area at the bottom of the article it will provide you with clarification.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 AM

All of this is not as simple as some folks would have it be. There are employee contributions and the ROI from their direct contributions. My understanding is that many public employees in California don't contribute to SS nor do their employers contribute their half. Thus that is an obligation the local governments didn't have. Now if you take away pensions and didn't allow folks to contribute to SS they now have? So now they are on public assistance, I think I understand.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Changing health care and eliminating or capping COLA are some of the easiest reforms to do. They don't have the same legal protections pensions do and state and locals are already doing. In fact since this is a local benefit do state employees in Calif get the same benefit? Do teachers?
Uh, it's generally pensions that have COLAs, not other benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement