Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Assisted Suicide as Currently Practiced in the 3 States in the U.S. is a Desirable an
Yes 127 79.38%
No 26 16.25%
Undecided 7 4.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Ah, but I am an atheist so there is no god to dictate to me. See why it is difficult for people like myself? We try to get laws passed for assisted suicide and those with other religious/spiritual beliefs infringe. Non the less, the Hemlock Society is there to advise us on how to mix meds to kill ourselves when the time arrives.
For most, by the time we are ready to give up the ghost for health reasons, we have the tools at hand in the form of the same prescriptions we take to keep our selves alive.

I don't understand wanting to involve the government, or for that matter, other people. If you have waited so long that you are unable to deal with the issue yourself, perhaps a trusted friend, but not the government.

All I would have to do is eat a big dinner and then take a long walk or sit out on the porch in freezing weather. I think you all are making this harder than it really is in most cases.

Understand, I am talking about people who have serious physical issues to begin with. If you want to commit suicide for mental/emotional reasons and are otherwise "healthy", I would be extremely careful. You might end up alive and worse off than you are now.

I believe that we need strong moral/social bans against certain activities, but I don't see the need to involve the government by enacting laws on this issue. Its a step, in my opinion, towards a slippery slope where others may feel comfortable making your end of life decisions for you..... in your best interest.

My husband wanted to live and believed every day that his doctor might be able to cure him. He never gave up hope, even in the face of the obvious. I think he was just as entitled to his choice as I am to mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
For most, by the time we are ready to give up the ghost for health reasons, we have the tools at hand in the form of the same prescriptions we take to keep our selves alive.

I don't understand wanting to involve the government, or for that matter, other people. If you have waited so long that you are unable to deal with the issue yourself, perhaps a trusted friend, but not the government.

All I would have to do is eat a big dinner and then take a long walk or sit out on the porch in freezing weather. I think you all are making this harder than it really is in most cases.

Understand, I am talking about people who have serious physical issues to begin with. If you want to commit suicide for mental/emotional reasons and are otherwise "healthy", I would be extremely careful. You might end up alive and worse off than you are now.

I believe that we need strong moral/social bans against certain activities, but I don't see the need to involve the government by enacting laws on this issue. Its a step, in my opinion, towards a slippery slope where others may feel comfortable making your end of life decisions for you..... in your best interest.

My husband wanted to live and believed every day that his doctor might be able to cure him. He never gave up hope, even in the face of the obvious. I think he was just as entitled to his choice as I am to mine.

The only reason I would like to see legislation on it is to relieve any person who assists, of any criminal or civil liability. And what if, for instance, I was in the hospital, terminal, and could not get to my stash of prescription drugs at home, which would do the trick. I would need assistance in the suicide.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:33 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Living in Oregon, when my friend Jerry was near the end stage of pancreatic cancer he wanted to initiate the Oregon Death with Dignity law but it was too late for him as his mental condition was altered by the drugs he had been taking for pain, etc. The law does not always work for everyone in Oregon. I voted yes, of course.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:33 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
The only reason I would like to see legislation on it is to relieve any person who assists, of any criminal or civil liability. And what if, for instance, I was in the hospital, terminal, and could not get to my stash of prescription drugs at home, which would do the trick. I would need assistance in the suicide.
I hope this doesn't sound harsh because I don't mean it that way, but in the scenario you describe, I would say you waited too long. I am not going to the hospital if I can avoid it and I have a DNR if I do.

As ConeyIsBabe illustrates in her post, there is probably no fail safe plan, even in states where asissted suicide is legal.

I've made my plan and I'm hoping for the best outcome.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I am against it on religious grounds. It is against the laws of God that is it. No further comment required.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I hope this doesn't sound harsh because I don't mean it that way, but in the scenario you describe, I would say you waited too long. I am not going to the hospital if I can avoid it and I have a DNR if I do.

As ConeyIsBabe illustrates in her post, there is probably no fail safe plan, even in states where asissted suicide is legal.

I've made my plan and I'm hoping for the best outcome.
What would happen in LivingDeadGirl's situation is that the drugs could be brought to her or she could take them with her and she could take them by her self. They couldn't be administered by a doctor or nurse. At least that's how I understand how it works.

But if you are taken to the hospital unconscious, of course, no one is allowed to administer the drugs to you. You can have a DNR at the ready though so you won't be revived. They have to let you die.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:42 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I would not want to be a burden to anyone if I had a debilitating disease.
Lou Gehrigs, parkinson.s etc.
A woman I went to school with has been in a nursing home with m s
For 20 years. She can do nothi NGO for herself.
Spare me from this misery.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
My DW doesn't agree with me (YET), but I'll be damned if I was going to live in an assisted-living environment where they will do nothing more for me than drain our family finances just so I can sit in a high chair in the dayroom facing the TV. That is no way to live. If I cannot be a productive member of society, then I want "to go" and let my family use our finances to continue their lives.

I also think that legal suicide will prevent the horrible position of people having to discover the bodies of their loved ones (in whatever shape they're in based on how they ended it for themselves).

There are too many positives NOT to allow legal assisted suicide. For the people with the religious and other reasons not to do it, don't do it! If St. Peter doesn't let me in the gates when I get up there because I chose not to live like a zombie, then so be it. I don't think it will matter much to me at that point!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:04 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
The international right to die conference is being held in Chicago in 2014 for those who are interested in this topic. There will be speakers from several different countries discussing the topic of providing means for a peaceful death for those who seek it.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
My DW doesn't agree with me (YET), but I'll be damned if I was going to live in an assisted-living environment where they will do nothing more for me than drain our family finances just so I can sit in a high chair in the dayroom facing the TV. That is no way to live. If I cannot be a productive member of society, then I want "to go" and let my family use our finances to continue their lives.

I also think that legal suicide will prevent the horrible position of people having to discover the bodies of their loved ones (in whatever shape they're in based on how they ended it for themselves).

There are too many positives NOT to allow legal assisted suicide. For the people with the religious and other reasons not to do it, don't do it! If St. Peter doesn't let me in the gates when I get up there because I chose not to live like a zombie, then so be it. I don't think it will matter much to me at that point!
Those who are for it have never tried to force those against to do it but those who are against seem to have the upper hand and have succeeded in forcing their will upon others for whatever reason they find they can use. This must change. Assisted suicide has worked in Oregon. It has not hurt anyone who wasn't interested in availing themselves of its use.

So to those who are not in favor of making use of it, I won't force you to use assisted suicide and you mind your own business if I want to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement