Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times

Advertisements

Many people don't work for many reasons...retired, stay at home parent, work from home, work in unconventional schedules (writers, cross-country haulers, self-employed people. You are not the only person at home, just the only one among the folks that you know. Meet some other folks that like to do what you do. Meet-up is a great resource. It will help you find companions for almost any activity imaginable. It's also never to late to start a new career of your own, such as writing or buying and selling items
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
You have a possible 50+ years of living ahead of you. I just don't think that hobbies and activities with friends are going to be enough. I can't imagine not working towards a goal of some sort at your age.

As far as finding friends who you are able to share activities with during the day, since you can't find them where you live, the obvious solution is to move to an area where you are more likely to find very young retirees or even older retirees who might enjoy the kinds of physical activities you enjoy. Of course, that's easier said than done.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why if you can ride a motorcycle are you retired. That doesn't mean you have to retire. get a job its not wise to be idle at your age. I am retired but I wouldn't have eve considered it at your ageltheir are phases in life.

I agree with texdav. To the OP, you mentioned that you "do work" but only a few months out of the year. Can we ask what you do? It sounds seasonal in nature. Do you enjoy it? And is it enough to support yourself over the long haul?

You mentioned being medically retired from the military so it sounds like maybe you got hurt. I hope all is ok and you still have your health, which seems to be the case if you are well enough to ride your motorcycle.

31 is VERY young to be "retired". Your friends your age probably don't have much time because they are all busy working and building up their careers. Very few 31 year olds have time to go off each day and adventuring and spending time doing fun things because they are working.

When I was 31 I was working about 17/18 hours a day. I know that's not common for the typical 30 something year old but it IS common to be working and concentrating on your career at that stage in peoples lives.

So first I'd say make sure you can truly afford to "retire" but assuming that you can afford to stay retired over potentially the next 60 years, I'd say to spend some time volunteering and you will probably meet some interesting people that way as well.

As well, even if you can afford to "retire" I'd recommend you maybe find another career or something to do for all that free time you have when you're not working your other job. It doesn't have to be something that you're making a lot of money at. But find something that you enjoy doing anyway so it doesn't feel like "work".

I've found that most people always need a "purpose" in life and working and doing things that you enjoy will often give you that. As well, it typically keeps your mind sharp.

There are tons of things out there that you can do so maybe find work or volunteer at something that you enjoy anyway and it won't feel like work, you will still meet people to socialize with and also make some extra income.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
I was doing contract work as a safety officer and doing Emergency Management consulting, but I fell into doing Insurance Adjusting for flood claims.
It's very seasonal, a little over a month ago I was in La, about to head east, and I got an email alert (they are set to sound the alarm on my phone) assigning me claims in Houston.
An hour later I was on my way west and accessed my first claim before nightfall.
Had a week of work.

Haven't worked since although I expected to get sent to Oklahoma or Missouri.
It should be a busy Huricane season, so I'll probably work for 2-3 months after it hits wherever it hits. Then I'll get occasional assignments till spring thaw, or next flood season.
I wouldn't say it's enjoyable, but I enjoy helping people (in another life I was a volunteer EMT), I like jobs where you are paid for the task completed vs the time you sit watching he clock, it's something that even someone with my body can do in their 60's, and the money is more than adequate, even if I lived a higher consumption lifestyle than I do. (I only need about $30k a year to live very well.)

As to my injuries, I have bad feet (multable surgeries, and unable to stand up longer than a few minutes without special orthodics... With them abot 3.5 hours.) and a spinal injury.

I can ride a motorcycle with about $1,000 worth of custom and adapted commercial footwear.
Went canoeing with a buddy today, and even with narcotics, the easy trip downstream completely kicked my butt. However I have a choice, I could take the Social Security disability, and the VA disability rating pushed on me and sit on a couch all day and not do anything, or I can push my limits as far as I can, as often as I can.

So I push.

And just because I do not have a 9-5 does not mean that I do not have goals. My GF says one of the things she is so attracted to is my drive and goals. (I keep telling her I'm lazy, and if I had $10 million I'd hire everything done... But she insists in not believing me!) but since I don't have millions I have to figure out ways of doing things, or affording to pay for things I used to be physically capable of.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Now strictly speaking I guess I'm not truly 'retired', but I'm medically retired from the Marine Corps, and I do work... but only what amounts to a couple months a year.

I'm working on my mountain cabin/retreat/getaway at the moment.
But my buddy I'd like to go motorcycle riding with... would love to, but has to work.
Getting buddies to help with projects, or just go Kayaking with. (It's hard to get back to your car by yourself)

My girl is finishing up her PHD, and she's one of those crazy types who WANTS to work...

It can get odd 'entertaining one's self' At the moment the distance necessary between me and her is an issue, to say nothing of the restrictions around planning activities around others limited schedule and mobility.

I don't see this changing soon... I'm 31.

What do you do?
Retired at 47 yrs of age. Found that this issue is the biggest problem - I find most of my friends are 60+ of age (golfing buddies, tennis buddies, guys I go to ball games with, etc). One of the drawbacks of being an early retiree.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
What did I do? Attitude adjustment! However, I retired at 62 but many of my contemporaries continued to work and most of my work associates were somewhat younger and certainly not retired.

I guess my "saving grace" was and remains that I've always been somewhat of a loner. Also, my wife retired early for medical reasons so she was, and remains, with me most of the time. Thankfully, she's my best friend.

I retired earlier/younger than planned but it was the right time for me. Initially I questioned whether or not I had really done anything noteworthy in life or had actually made a positive difference in the lives of others. It was something I reflected on long and hard, eventually coming to the conclusion that I really had. My military and law enforcement years were a given. Thereafter, working in politics and legislation I wrote and saw passed a handful of bills which, when signed into law, provided certain protections to millions of military retirees regarding health care as well as many millions of other citizens related to protection from crimes/criminals. In the end I became very comfortable with myself and that's the key to "success" in your later years. It can also be that in your younger years.

I know you are young and you have many years ahead of you. While limited physically, there is and should be no limit to your ability to live those years productively. Any limits you do have are very much of your own making. So in the end it comes right back to the beginning which is simply attitude adjustment. Don't argue your limitations or you'll surely find and own them.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,394 times
Quote:
Now strictly speaking I guess I'm not truly 'retired', but I'm medically retired from the Marine Corps, and I do work... but only what amounts to a couple months a year.

I'm working on my mountain cabin/retreat/getaway at the moment.
But my buddy I'd like to go motorcycle riding with... would love to, but has to work.
Getting buddies to help with projects, or just go Kayaking with. (It's hard to get back to your car by yourself)

My girl is finishing up her PHD, and she's one of those crazy types who WANTS to work...

It can get odd 'entertaining one's self' At the moment the distance necessary between me and her is an issue, to say nothing of the restrictions around planning activities around others limited schedule and mobility.

I don't see this changing soon... I'm 31.

What do you do?
It's the one and only downside to early retirement (I retired from the Army at 39), in my opinion. If you want to go somewhere for more than a week, most people can't take off from work and go with you.

The people who have the money to go with you, don't have the time (they work full-time and only get 2 weeks vacation time), and the people who have the time to go with you, don't have the money (they're usually unemployed or "moochers").

So, you basically end up doing a lot of activities/hobbies on your own or you have to wait until your significant other has time off to do things with you. It's a very interesting balancing act .

Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I was doing contract work as a safety officer and doing Emergency Management consulting, but I fell into doing Insurance Adjusting for flood claims.
It's very seasonal, a little over a month ago I was in La, about to head east, and I got an email alert (they are set to sound the alarm on my phone) assigning me claims in Houston.
An hour later I was on my way west and accessed my first claim before nightfall.
Had a week of work.

Haven't worked since although I expected to get sent to Oklahoma or Missouri.
It should be a busy Huricane season, so I'll probably work for 2-3 months after it hits wherever it hits. Then I'll get occasional assignments till spring thaw, or next flood season.
I wouldn't say it's enjoyable, but I enjoy helping people (in another life I was a volunteer EMT), I like jobs where you are paid for the task completed vs the time you sit watching he clock, it's something that even someone with my body can do in their 60's, and the money is more than adequate, even if I lived a higher consumption lifestyle than I do. (I only need about $30k a year to live very well.)

As to my injuries, I have bad feet (multable surgeries, and unable to stand up longer than a few minutes without special orthodics... With them abot 3.5 hours.) and a spinal injury.

I can ride a motorcycle with about $1,000 worth of custom and adapted commercial footwear.
Went canoeing with a buddy today, and even with narcotics, the easy trip downstream completely kicked my butt. However I have a choice, I could take the Social Security disability, and the VA disability rating pushed on me and sit on a couch all day and not do anything, or I can push my limits as far as I can, as often as I can.

So I push.

And just because I do not have a 9-5 does not mean that I do not have goals. My GF says one of the things she is so attracted to is my drive and goals. (I keep telling her I'm lazy, and if I had $10 million I'd hire everything done... But she insists in not believing me!) but since I don't have millions I have to figure out ways of doing things, or affording to pay for things I used to be physically capable of.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post back more details about your situation. That's always nice when people take the time to do that.

I think it's great that you "push" and do all that you can. I think that is wise. It's not necessarily difficult when you can live on not much money right now. The real battle is when you are older and things come up.

Is your condition such that it's permanent and not likely that you will ever improve? Or is this something that eventually you can get back to normal?

I wish you the best and great health.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:42 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to post back more details about your situation. That's always nice when people take the time to do that.

I think it's great that you "push" and do all that you can. I think that is wise. It's not necessarily difficult when you can live on not much money right now. The real battle is when you are older and things come up.

Is your condition such that it's permanent and not likely that you will ever improve? Or is this something that eventually you can get back to normal?

I wish you the best and great health.

It's high on my awareness...
I'm one of those people who started investing for retirement when I was 15... I'll be ok financially baring major disaster... and I am well insured.

It's only going to get worse (One of the reasons I choose to enjoy life as much as I can now.) I won't be that guy walking down the beach when I'm 60...

No hope baring drastic and surprising medical advancements.

clevergirl05: Thank you, I agree.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
It's high on my awareness...
I'm one of those people who started investing for retirement when I was 15... I'll be ok financially baring major disaster... and I am well insured.

It's only going to get worse (One of the reasons I choose to enjoy life as much as I can now.) I won't be that guy walking down the beach when I'm 60...

No hope baring drastic and surprising medical advancements.

clevergirl05: Thank you, I agree.

Great! Yes, as long as you are aware of it, which it sounds like you are. I totally agree some people that started while they were young and took advantage of the power of compound interest can retire young with a small fortune (or a big one as well...ha ha). Kudos for you if this is the case.

Absolutely if the health won't improve and more realistically will deteriorate, I TOTALLY get your motivation for doing what you are doing and better understand your posts. Thanks again for sharing details with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement