Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seniors: Are you usually tired or not tired?
I am usually tired and I have lots of responsibilities. 6 14.63%
I am ususally not tired and I have lots of responsibilities. 8 19.51%
I am usually tired and I have few responsibilities. 9 21.95%
I am usually not tired and I have few responsibilties. 13 31.71%
Other: Please explain in comments section. 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

Ha! Alot of the threads lately do not seem to have any point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing about living in Florida is that no matter how old you are there are tons of people who are a lot older. I am almost 68 and when I talk to some older person they call me a youngster and tell me I have no idea how good I have it.

Another thing that I have found is that there are old people who are old and old people who are young. I see 90 year olds all the time who are active, bright, and out doing things. Then I see 90 year olds who look and act 90. A lot of it is mental attitude, I think. I just had a couple I was helping at work and they are in their 80's and they have a go fast boat that does 120 mph. She said he makes her drive it occasionally in case of an emergency and they have to get home ! If they hadn't told me their ages I would have thought they were 60 ish.

Don
Wow. That's incredible. I would not want to "run into" them on the lake!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

I'm Tired Madeline Kahn Blazing Saddles - YouTube

Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Other: Not tired, but no wish to do the boring stuff, anymore. I only do what I like doing these days. So, I don't know what category I fall in. Guess, I've got it pretty good.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I think that poor health, physical or mental, lack of exercise, family strains, poor diet, obesity, loneliness, boredom and too little or too many responibilities can be contributors to low energy and tiredness.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
The mind/body connection is critical, as NEG mentions above. We may not believe an event or circumstance is stressful but, if the mind is not at ease, the body will compensate with one form of dis-ease or another. All manner of illness/ailments (back/joint pain, headaches, fatigue, cancer, you name it).

So, it's all about consciousness. You must take care of your body. You must take care of your mind.

If your body is in pretty good shape - then meditation, yoga, soothing music, beautiful environment, positive thoughts - you may need to consciously schedule all of these into every day's schedule to stay on an even keel and restore your soul and reduce dis-ease, while you attempt to rid yourself of some of the less critical responsibilities for which you no longer have the will or energy. Actually, in this case, will and energy are synonymous.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If I do physical things I tire much easier.If its mental I am just about the same as when say 40 .Quite different :IMO. I have always said when physically tired I sleep like a baby; Meaning deep and remember nothing of the night.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
I checked ~not tired and few responsibilities~ but even when I had mega-responsibilities and major job stress, "tiredness" wasn't a problem. Agree with Cattknap that it's a bigger issue with more variables than the poll indicates. I'd add that underlying medical issues can contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I think that poor health, physical or mental, lack of exercise, family strains, poor diet, obesity, loneliness, boredom and too little or too many responibilities can be contributors to low energy and tiredness.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Feeling tired is complex and I don't think it has a thing to do with what is deemed a "responsibility". Being depressed can cause one to feel tired. Being stimulated by what surrounds one can make you feel very vigorous. Too many factors to make a general statement. I am rarely tired: only if I've worked really hard on my property or stayed up over 20 hours doing things. If you feel tired often, get some blood tests and see what's going on.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
What I was trying to determine is if old age, in and of itself, causes one to feel tired. I realize there are many variables to how a person feels - I should have inserted "with all else being equal" does old age = being more tired? In other words, in a perfect world, where all of your needs are met, will you still be tired in old age?

I was looking at two ends of the spectrum - on one end, the retiree living the carefree life - on the other end, the "retiree" living a very demanding life (in terms of daily responsibilities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement