Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times

Advertisements

I'm 63, I walk 3 to 4 miles each day. I don't go to a health club though we have one here that our HOA fees cover because I always seem to pull or sprain something not to mention I seem to pick up bugs and colds from the sweaty palms that have gone before me. Happy with my nature walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
We all know that we are supposed to exercise, but, getting a 'round tuit' is more difficult than approving of the practice. I've always exercised considerably (so, I guess I'm ahead based on past work-outs). Since retirement find more and more excuses for being lazy.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Every day

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times
Well, I turned 66 today and, as I seem to do as my birthday nears, began looking at myself a little more closely in the mirror and became uncomfortably aware that my pants are not slowly shrinking as I had first decided. So tomarrow I must change my ways. Lord help me!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Well, I turned 66 today and, as I seem to do as my birthday nears, began looking at myself a little more closely in the mirror and became uncomfortably aware that my pants are not slowly shrinking as I had first decided. So tomarrow I must change my ways. Lord help me!
Good luck, Chronic! Just start out walking -- then add whatever else works! Some people like the gym . . . or swimming . . . it doesn't have to be painful!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good luck, Chronic! Just start out walking -- then add whatever else works! Some people like the gym . . . or swimming . . . it doesn't have to be painful!
Thanks, anifani. That is good advice and I will take it, one step at a time.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I really should be exercising more. I am on my feet all day at work, up and down ladders, and walking, but it is not the same as some form of daily exercise. I had a heart attack at 42 and bought a treadmill and when I would go in for my stress tests I was in good shape. My GF and I would walk about 6-10 miles some nights, and we rode bikes every Monday, sometimes 20 miles round trip. But I have gotten lazy and don't do any of that any more.

A treadmill is my personal choice because you can put on earphones with some rock music and the time flies by. It is also good because you aren't out in the cold or heat or rain, like you would be if you were walking. (no dogs chase you either )

We have a great exercise room at the condo we live at, I just have to get myself in gear to start going there.

Don

Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 AM

125 posts, read 228,124 times
I've been fairly consistent during my working years with exercise with a membership to a gym, mountain biking and local hiking trails. Currently still in the workforce with hectic days I may miss a day or two, but this will change once retired. My plan is to upgrade workouts with more of a variety, reduce stress, get plenty of rest, healthier eating etc. The start of my day will focus on health and will be the foundation in retirement. This will lead to a better quality of life and enjoyment.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
There is a small gym in our complex that is equipped with stair stepper, treadmill, swivel chair, rowing machine, and recumbent bike. I use all the equipment 5 days a week for an hour each day.

My husband does the same thing 7 days a week for 1.5 hours each day, then 3 times a week he does them twice a day. He also skis and mountain bikes and we often hike (mountain trails) in the spring.

He has always kept himself fit (even at 64, he has a flat stomach, strong legs, and toned body) but after two heart attacks, he has a much stronger motivation to exercise than ever.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I find it helps to do at least some exercise first thing in the morning. Preferably something that gets you out of the house, such as going out to take a walk or going to the gym. If you do it first thing, then at least you'll get some exercise in every day before you get busy with those activities that keep you from getting a round to it. Also, the temps are so much nicer early in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement