Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times

Advertisements

Now that you are retired and have more time, is exercise a part of your daily routine? What works for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I am not fully retired, but I never will be. I will always be working and making money b/c I like it and can work from home. So since I will never be retired in the sense that others think of retirement, I would still like to answer the question.

I like to take time out during the day to walk. That is my favorite form of exercise. Other than that, I do Tai Chi and Yoga. I am a solo practitioner and rarely go to a group meeting for those things. First thing I do in the morning is a Salute to the Sun and last thing I do in the evenings is Tai Chi.

So I think exercise can be incorporated in different ways thoughout the day and doesn't have to mean a gym or even exercise equipment. To me, walking is the best exercise as it also clears the mind to just get out a bit and enjoy being outside. Also, we all need 20-40 mins a day of sunlight (even on a cloudy day) to properly metabolize Vit D and help us sleep at night, as well (melatonin).

I can't do things like lift weights as I have joint issues and that would be instant inflammation and tendonitis problems. I think that could be a great thing to do as well - even if carrying light weights while walking.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
More time = more exercise (and more eating )

More travel = more walking (for me)

Lap swimming
Biking
Hiking

I can't run / jog due to teenage work injury.

Exercise ball and stair-stepper if I have to do indoor exercise (a must with 285 days / rain).

It helps a lot to now have a TX home to retreat to. It is on view acreage (as are all my places), GREAT to spend time indoor or out enjoying a 50+ mile un-interrupted view.

Many seniors are very active in Master's sports competitions. A friend in his 70's competes worldwide in Bike racing, swimming and running.

Since I do a lot of volunteer senior care, I spend considerable time in Physical Therapy centers for stroke / surgery recovery. I get a lot of free pointers. . PT and OT is a hidden passion, very helpful in keeping 'fit', and encouraging others in very practical ways. I.e. a $10 exercise ball and video is a very useful and ez tool for all ages. Balance, posture, and strength building. Aligning your body to it's structural norm and correcting poor posture will help to avoid the pains we get by our body 'compensating' for our many years of bad (relaxing / rest) habits. 25 yrs ago a Swiss school teacher was living with us and introduced the fit-ball by exclaiming her students had used them for many yrs. I use a ball at the computer, eating table, reading, TV (if I had one), conversation, desk... EZ to deflate and move when I downsize

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-20-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Now that you are retired and have more time, is exercise a part of your daily routine? What works for you?
I retired 5 years ago and have since discovered the gymn, my usual routine 5 days a week is to get up at around 3am, have a coffee or two and play around on city data for a while then around 4;30am go to the gymn for an hour, 20 minutes on a walking machine.20 minutes on a recumbent bike and 20 minutes on weight machines all the while enjoying the view of at least half a dozen young women in spandex.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I hate to exercise -- always have, most likely always will. (When I was a kid, I loved to swim and ride my bike, but then it wasn't "exercise.") When I do exercise, I do it grudgingly, only out of fear of what might happen if I don't exercise (everyone says "Use it or lose it"), and when the session is over, I'm mightily relieved.

The only form of exercise I can tolerate is dancing. So I go to the nearby YMCA on Monday and Friday mornings for a dance-ish senior aerobics class. We do aerobics for half an hour, then work with hand weights for 20 minutes, and then stretch.

Usually on Wednesdays I go to the Y and walk on the treadmill for half an hour, with my iPod blasting dance music in my head, and then do the thing with the weights and the stretching moves that I get in the class.

I don't find it makes me feel better either physically or emotionally. I just find I feel guilty if I don't do it. I'd much rather sit at home and read a book.

I can't do anything outside -- very fair skin and the north Florida sun do not mix. I've had two skin cancer surgeries already and I'm not looking for any more, TYVM.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
I watch a 1-hour (actually about 50 minutes) TV show while I do the treadmill. Prefer online or on the DVR to avoid commercials. It's so easy to forget you're exercising! Usually, 5 days a week.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I don't do any structured exercise.
I'm out and about every day.
I have 45 acres and there's always something that needs doing.

Today is my mowing day for the non pasture areas. Takes about 6 hours but that includes breaks after my sections.
I've done 2 sections already and came in for lunch and a break.

Earlier I worked on my chicken house that I'm building and will go back and work on it some more after dinner when it cools down. The Texas summers are upon us and I try not to do too much manual work during the heat of the day.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I am totally against exercise in any form. LOL I hate it and don't do it unless I can do something that makes me feel like it isn't exercise (gardening, walking the mall, walking the dogs, cleaning the house, shopping). I have Silver Sneakers free of charge, but have never gone. I have a wonderful Y near my house and never went inside. I have bad arthritis and some days are worse than others, but that's no excuse. Its just so boring ! Hard to break that mindset...

Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Great thread topic. Each of us have bodies that like/don't like certain activities. I work at home as a part-time writer and MUST get off the computer for exercise. This is my routine:

Gym (treadmill/bike/circuit of weight machines) or seven mile outdoor bike ride 5x week. Sometimes do both when I'm avoiding a writing project or feeling plump..lol

Yoga. Once a week yoga class with a group of lovely women who have become good friends. Sometimes we go out for a light meal after class.

In California I loved walking/hiking on trails, but in NC where I now live, there are few trails and few sidewalks, so gym or bicycling are better options. Beach walking when I ca get there...

I don't sleep well unless I exercise. My mind's like a gerbil running on a wheel.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am totally against exercise in any form.

I'm exercising my right to sit in my chair and read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement