Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,903,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I have a funny feeling Tek you probably will be using the saws-all and making new countertops. Unless they are special material the time spent taking the vanity apart is not worth the cost of a new one. Keep that in mind. Another option is if you have to get into the wall behind the sink consider going the opposite way. For example my bathroom wall is the hallway in my house. If I need to get to the plumbing say I just make the cut in the dry wall in the hallway. It is easier to repair dry wall now a days then to rebuild counters.
New counter tops are going in as well as a second sink so the condition of the top is of no concern. The cabinets (plus a new one) will be staying so that's where the care lies.

And going in from the other side is problematic as it's an outside second story wall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM

6,771 posts, read 7,199,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
New counter tops are going in as well as a second sink so the condition of the top is of no concern. The cabinets (plus a new one) will be staying so that's where the care lies.

And going in from the other side is problematic as it's an outside second story wall...

Okay that would be a problem alright. So saws-all and pry bars. Take pictures. I promise when I start to detail my home I will do before, during and after shots too. We should have a thread for us retiring and prepping for moving home projects.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Okay that would be a problem alright. So saws-all and pry bars. Take pictures. I promise when I start to detail my home I will do before, during and after shots too. We should have a thread for us retiring and prepping for moving home projects.
Edit: I remembered to take the "before" pictures.

So far just pry bar, hammer, good knife, and a screwdriver.

The workers that put this in did me a favor (unless it's SOP) and did not nail the top to the cabinets. Just a couple of screws from inside the cabinets up into the bottom of the counter. So far the toughest thing I've done is get the caulking cut out between the back splash and the counter.

Next task is going to be a little tougher. I have to turn off the water, disconnect the pipes under the sink, and add shutoff valves to both. Once I have that done I can remove the counter and cabinets.

That is one of the things that got away from me when they were building this house. Why I didn't catch that they were not adding shut offs at every water end I'll never know, but I pay for it every time I work on a new sink.

That would be an interesting thread, but you have to wonder how fast it would move. 10 years ago it would have been busy every day with me. Now, not so much. I still tire too quickly.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM

6,771 posts, read 7,199,613 times
Quote:
Edit: I remembered to take the "before" pictures.

So far just pry bar, hammer, good knife, and a screwdriver.

The workers that put this in did me a favor (unless it's SOP) and did not nail the top to the cabinets. Just a couple of screws from inside the cabinets up into the bottom of the counter. So far the toughest thing I've done is get the caulking cut out between the back splash and the counter.

Next task is going to be a little tougher. I have to turn off the water, disconnect the pipes under the sink, and add shutoff valves to both. Once I have that done I can remove the counter and cabinets.

That is one of the things that got away from me when they were building this house. Why I didn't catch that they were not adding shut offs at every water end I'll never know, but I pay for it every time I work on a new sink.

That would be an interesting thread, but you have to wonder how fast it would move. 10 years ago it would have been busy every day with me. Now, not so much. I still tire too quickly.
Yup it might move slowly but it might be quite informative. I know we cannot be the only pre-retirees doing home improvement projects to make resale of the homestead a much more lucrative adventure.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,046,507 times
Quote:
Yup it might move slowly but it might be quite informative. I know we cannot be the only pre-retirees doing home improvement projects to make resale of the homestead a much more lucrative adventure.
Don't overdo it, you might not get your money out of it. I would consult a realtor before doing anything extensive. Remember that in a couple or as a single, women are the ones who make the decisions (lol). We are looking at kitchens, laundry, and baths. Granite countertops and superdecks not as important as where are we going to do the laundry on the main floor, where are we going to roll our pie dough, and how appointed are the "facilities." Hardwood floors as opposed to fake wood are a definite plus, people don;t go for carpeting so much anymore.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Somewhere there's got to be a really funny cartoon on this.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Don't overdo it, you might not get your money out of it. I would consult a realtor before doing anything extensive. Remember that in a couple or as a single, women are the ones who make the decisions (lol). We are looking at kitchens, laundry, and baths. Granite countertops and superdecks not as important as where are we going to do the laundry on the main floor, where are we going to roll our pie dough, and how appointed are the "facilities." Hardwood floors as opposed to fake wood are a definite plus, people don;t go for carpeting so much anymore.
Agreed. No new deck here. Maybe just a good cleaning. Ours has been treated with a chemical (eco friendly) that will cause it to last longer than the house if not torn out. And we're not hot to trot for granite counters, either. We are going to replace all the counters however, as they are 25 year-old laminate and are starting to show it. They are also colors that we wanted at the time, but aren't so "in" now.

I want to fill in one of the doors in the kitchen (there are two and a wide opening into the family room) and get some more counter and cabinets for Mrs. Tek. I can do all that work, except the counter top, so we can hold the cost down because of no labor.

Wood floors and tile - yes. I could put them in. It's whether Mrs. Tek would have the patience to wait for me or have a crew come in and be done with it. If I do it we can add some nice edges or a feature that we probably wouldn't pay someone else to do because of labor cost.

Edit: We took a section out of the family room when we built and the laundry room is next to the entrance to the garage. Very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Somewhere there's got to be a really funny cartoon on this.
Yeah, and it involves water shooting out of a vertical pipe next to a sopping wet man that looks like me...

Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Wood floors and tile - yes. I could put them in. It's whether Mrs. Tek would have the patience to wait for me or have a crew come in and be done with it. If I do it we can add some nice edges or a feature that we probably wouldn't pay someone else to do because of labor cost.
At LL, you can get "floating" (prefinished) real wood floors that install easily. They are not 5/8" but for the life of the time you will be there should be fine. Tile comes on the mesh backing and if the underfloor is absolutely smooth it should be easy. Adds so much value. Porcelain tile is supposedly more durable than ceramic. But then, you probably know all this.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 PM

What I know is less important than what I may learn if you continue to tell me what you know.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
What I know is less important than what I may learn if you continue to tell me what you know.
Floating floors are interlocking and do not require nailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement