Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Stair lifts might be a possibility. I live on the second floor of a condo building and noticed that one of the buildings in my complex has a stair lift going to the second floor for those with mobility issues.

http://101mobility.com/downloads/Sta...umer-Guide.pdf
I've looked at these as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Iowa. City, not that far from rural, which is pretty much true for any city here. None of them are that big. We're in West Des Moines. Except for winter it can be heaven on Earth...

That picture was likely taken somewhere along I-80 in western IA, or I-35 up north. We have a lot of windmills creating energy here. Corn doesn't stop wind.
Speaking of I-80, now that you've decided to stay in Iowa, maybe you can hop in your car, head about a hundred miles east of you, sign up for some adult enrichment classes, and then party with the young'ns in Iowa City!

IOWA CITY, Iowa: University of Iowa claims top party school title - Nation - MiamiHerald.com

Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Can you convert existing space downstairs to a master bedroom suite? Leave the upstairs to guests.

Thankfully, when house-hunting here in the Ozarks we refused to look at anything on more than one level for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Of course, that meant we had to pass on this delightful, hillbilly/redneck mansion:

Sometimes life just ain't fair!
Oh..... my.

Too many stairs.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 08-05-2013 at 06:53 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Speaking of I-80, now that you've decided to stay in Iowa, maybe you can hop in your car, head about a hundred miles east of you, sign up for some adult enrichment classes, and then party with the young'ns in Iowa City!

IOWA CITY, Iowa: University of Iowa claims top party school title - Nation - MiamiHerald.com

Give me two days and call the coroner.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Mrs. Tek asked if I had my list of places I want to travel to yet.

Already? I'm still working on the wood shop.

I guess I need to shift some priorities here.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
For us to stay where we are we'd need to spend half of our retirement savings reengineering our house. And since we already live in an apartment disguised as a SHF, downsizing would mean moving into someone else's house or into an RV.

Living in a high cost area with not enough retirement savings, our choice has been made for us whether we like it or not.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ask Mrs. Tek about that. If she is in a car and can't see out see she gets motion sickness, and you'd better get a window down or the door open if you don't want to clean up a mess.
I get sick if I read in a car or bus. That includes maps. I also get sick if I have to ride backwards like on a train or in the old days, the back of a station wagon. The best one is, I get sick when I watch a movie that has a camera in the moving car and it is focusing either on the line in the middle if the road or the sun shining through the passing treetops.

Congrats on your decision. For some reason I thought you lived in Los Angeles. That's why I was also surprised about Las Vegas being more expensive.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I get sick if I read in a car or bus. That includes maps. I also get sick if I have to ride backwards like on a train or in the old days, the back of a station wagon. The best one is, I get sick when I watch a movie that has a camera in the moving car and it is focusing either on the line in the middle if the road or the sun shining through the passing treetops.

Congrats on your decision. For some reason I thought you lived in Los Angeles. That's why I was also surprised about Las Vegas being more expensive.
LA? I spent a month there in 1968. Lived on a hill above Watts. Place was still full of burned out hulks. I remember hitchhiking on the LA Freeway during rush hour. One guy leaned over as I was walking past his car and said, "I'll pick you up if you're still walking I get to you." LMAO!

LA is a no.

It is funny how misconceptions come about.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default A terrible misunderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
we came to the decision to stay put as well after some intense search. but i miss my daughter and the grand kids and now and again wonder if we should revisit the idea. but i am very content where we are and i don't know how things will be where we move - So Cal. what i have seen of it, even the incessant sunshine, the miles and miles of freeways to get anywhere, the apparent lack of a cultural life, all of it is very unappealing to me in addition to the higher cost of living and not as nice a house which is what we would be able to afford.
we have now settled on a plan to make short visits to LA, and are making our other travel plans.
I'll accept the downsides - heavy traffic, high cost of housing. But wow! That is the most amazing misunderstanding I have ever read on City-Data about the "apparent lack of a cultural life". As a matter of fact, the incredible abundance of cultural life in pretty much all of its manifestations is the number one reason I love it here. Where to start?

1. World class art museums: the Getty Center, the Getty Villa, the Norton-Simon, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Huntington, and more.

2. A proliferation of independent and foreign films - they tend to open here first, and not just in one district or neighborhood. One art house chain (the Laemmle) has seven locations in the greater Los Angeles area.

3. The (arguably) world's best concert hall acoustically - Walt Disney Concert Hall, home of the Los Angeles Master Chorale and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Many world premieres of serious choral music have been performed by the Master Chorale in addition to the classical canon. There are other, major, concert venues in different parts of the city.

4. Live theatre: L.A. is one of the best cities in this country - behind New York City but not that far behind - for live theatre.

5. Genuine ethnic restaurants of so many varieties, and all over the place!

6. The San Pedro harbor with its maritime museum and (since only about a year ago) the battleship USS Iowa, which is one of the four or five ships constituting the largest class of battleships ever built by the United States.

The foregoing six points are just off the top of my head, and do not do justice to the vast richness of this city. Some things, such as dance, I have no great knowledge of or interest in, so I can't write about them. I'm sure I must have forgotten a number of significant things.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 PM

I'm guessing it's not the LA I saw 45 years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement