Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

I spent a couple of hours last might browsing the Internet for wood shop tools and plans. Mrs. Tek says I should take 1/2 of the garage and turn it into one, so I think I will. I really don't want to build a work shop in the back yard.

I already have a bunch of cabinets in the basement that I was given years ago. There's a 12 foot set with counter and wall cabinets to match, and a two-sided island that, if laid out in a line, is another 12 feet. I figure I'll split that into two sections and leave a gap in the middle for a radial arm saw. Add a good solid top and I'm good to go. A lathe, jointer planer, and a couple of other tools and it should be ready. Dust handling will be a priority.

Now the most important question of all - can I find a place to store all that on wheels (except the saw and lathe) so I can bring it out when I need it, and still get two cars in? Luckily there is a good-sized cut out area on that side so I will have a "nook" in which to fit at least part of it.

Time to break out the AutoCAD program!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ask Mrs. Tek about that. If she is in a car and can't see out see she gets motion sickness, and you'd better get a window down or the door open if you don't want to clean up a mess.
He was speaking to me I believe, but I'm a bit like Mrs Tek though I don't feel out of it and strangely off-balance till I get home and take to bed. It's not outright dizzy or nauseous, it's just feeling weird and drained completely. In New England on the highways you rarely see interesting scenes. It's miles upon miles upon miles of trees through which you cannot see. If I lived in the W or SW or CA perhaps I'd not feel ill from boredom. Even conversation and music doesn't help. I wonder if it's a mild form of Meuniere's (sp?) disease that is taking hold. It feels like an inner thing. This came on me starting last summer.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I spent a couple of hours last might browsing the Internet for wood shop tools and plans. Mrs. Tek says I should take 1/2 of the garage and turn it into one, so I think I will. I really don't want to build a work shop in the back yard.

I already have a bunch of cabinets in the basement that I was given years ago. There's a 12 foot set with counter and wall cabinets to match, and a two-sided island that, if laid out in a line, is another 12 feet. I figure I'll split that into two sections and leave a gap in the middle for a radial arm saw. Add a good solid top and I'm good to go. A lathe, jointer planer, and a couple of other tools and it should be ready. Dust handling will be a priority.

Now the most important question of all - can I find a place to store all that on wheels (except the saw and lathe) so I can bring it out when I need it, and still get two cars in? Luckily there is a good-sized cut out area on that side so I will have a "nook" in which to fit at least part of it.

Time to break out the AutoCAD program!!
Are you remodeling with all these tools, or making items to give and sell?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Are you remodeling with all these tools, or making items to give and sell?

Ummmm... yes. And furniture. We want a build-to-fit set of cabinets with a desk in the center for computing, etc. Easier and cheaper to build then trying to find one to fit. And I think it would be fun to make things to sell. I made wooden toy trains one year for all the nephews (we don't get neices in our family very often), and candle sticks for other family members. Made dad a humidor for his tobacco. All out of wood.

Good therapy.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I understand how you feel. I think you're lucky in that you are in an area where you could go from 'here to here'...;-)...With me every blade of grass within 100 miles has a charge that I can't 'afford' for my new chapter. As Bruce Hornsby said, 'That's the Way it Is'.
By cutting down to a yard half the size and to a house all on one floor, our property taxes should reduce by a third. At the age of 70 seniors can apply for a reduction in taxes. We will continue to heat with wood, at $180 a cord we will heat our house with maybe four cords. Will prefer a small house with no oil furnace, but gas or electric, for backup. We will also have a new car and new appliances that should take us through to Happy Acres. Our area is ideal, it's just that we like the "other state" better. But it should all iron out in the end.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
He was speaking to me I believe, but I'm a bit like Mrs Tek though I don't feel out of it and strangely off-balance till I get home and take to bed. It's not outright dizzy or nauseous, it's just feeling weird and drained completely. In New England on the highways you rarely see interesting scenes. It's miles upon miles upon miles of trees through which you cannot see. If I lived in the W or SW or CA perhaps I'd not feel ill from boredom. Even conversation and music doesn't help. I wonder if it's a mild form of Meuniere's (sp?) disease that is taking hold. It feels like an inner thing. This came on me starting last summer.

Yeah, I knew, but I immediately thought of her in cars and not being able to see out. One of my brothers had a Seville that she had to ride in the front. The rear windows were so high she couldn't see out of them. Not good.

Drive through our state. Corn, some woods, vineyards, big windmills, farms.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I knew, but I immediately thought of her in cars and not being able to see out. One of my brothers had a Seville that she had to ride in the front. The rear windows were so high she couldn't see out of them. Not good.

Drive through our state. Corn, some woods, vineyards, big windmills, farms.
Beautiful photo, what state are you in? Do you live city or rural?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
we came to the decision to stay put as well after some intense search. but i miss my daughter and the grand kids and now and again wonder if we should revisit the idea. but i am very content where we are and i don't know how things will be where we move - So Cal. what i have seen of it, even the incessant sunshine, the miles and miles of freeways to get anywhere, the apparent lack of a cultural life, all of it is very unappealing to me in addition to the higher cost of living and not as nice a house which is what we would be able to afford.
we have now settled on a plan to make short visits to LA, and are making our other travel plans.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Beautiful photo, what state are you in? Do you live city or rural?
Iowa. City, not that far from rural, which is pretty much true for any city here. None of them are that big. We're in West Des Moines. Except for winter it can be heaven on Earth.

Minutes from health care, two hospitals, dentists, eye docs, a huge mall, every store you could possibly want, enough restaurants to keep anyone happy, and a city government that's very efficient.

Then it snows and blows and gets cold as the dickens.

That picture was likely taken somewhere along I-80 in western IA, or I-35 up north. We have a lot of windmills creating energy here. Corn doesn't stop wind.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
we came to the decision to stay put as well after some intense search. but i miss my daughter and the grand kids and now and again wonder if we should revisit the idea. but i am very content where we are and i don't know how things will be where we move - So Cal. what i have seen of it, even the incessant sunshine, the miles and miles of freeways to get anywhere, the apparent lack of a cultural life, all of it is very unappealing to me in addition to the higher cost of living and not as nice a house which is what we would be able to afford.
we have now settled on a plan to make short visits to LA, and are making our other travel plans.
The danger in making that move is your daughter needing to move for work, etc after you get there.

Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement