Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 06:08 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,154,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
You have no idea how liberating that will be especially when the next fall event rolls around and you didn't have to prepare for it! I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of retiring from a job I held for 25 years. When I run into my former co-workers it's almost like they're from another country speaking a language I no longer understand. And that thrills me no end!

And you're in much better financial shape than I am.
I also have two other events, similar to the fall one, but on a much smaller scale. So much of my time is spent preparing for and even at home, thinking of the other two events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 02:39 PM

400 posts, read 740,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Thanks. Perhaps I was a bit dramatic, but I hear so much about waiting until full SS age, etc. I have no credit card debt and have an extremely good (high) credit rating (800+). I just need to make some financial decisions and go with it. My career has been very rewarding, just the thought of retiring is making me waver between extreme happiness and slight panic. My father had to work his entire life (75). I guess that I am really blessed to be in this situation but I feel the need to be so careful with investments, etc.
My situation sounds similar to yours. I worked most of my life for the State of NY and saved well, invested a bit, had no debt and a high credit rating. I couldn't wait to start a new life, as I have a lot of interests. Still, I panicked at the thought of retiring, and over the last year at my job I kept changing my projected date. People told me that the panic meant that I was not ready, but that turned out not to be true. Once I actually left the job, life fell into place. I soon remembered the person I used to be -- the one without the stress and exhaustion. It's beautiful. Follow your instincts here.

I am 61 and finding creative ways to fill the gap between now and SS. I was worried beforehand, but it's all working out. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
My situation sounds similar to yours. I worked most of my life for the State of NY and saved well, invested a bit, had no debt and a high credit rating. I couldn't wait to start a new life, as I have a lot of interests. Still, I panicked at the thought of retiring, and over the last year at my job I kept changing my projected date. People told me that the panic meant that I was not ready, but that turned out not to be true. Once I actually left the job, life fell into place. I soon remembered the person I used to be -- the one without the stress and exhaustion. It's beautiful. Follow your instincts here.

I am 61 and finding creative ways to fill the gap between now and SS. I was worried beforehand, but it's all working out. Good luck!
Congratulations on taking the big step. Thanks for your comments.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 PM

469 posts, read 400,426 times
Please clarify/confirm: Only earned income counts against the SS income limit if you take early SS @62 (salaries, wages, tips, self-employment income, commissions). So, 401K distributions would not count against me, yes?

Old 07-23-2014, 03:52 AM

107,318 posts, read 109,695,874 times
correct

Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
correct
good news!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM

I wish that I could retire today!!! Meeting with my financial advisor in a couple weeks. I am beginning to think that eating nothing but beans & rice would be better than staying at work.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,852 posts, read 58,453,030 times
Quote:
I am beginning to think that eating nothing but beans & rice would be better than staying at work.
Hang in there, you are down to WEEKS (a few months...)

Take the wages, vacation, Healthcare and benie's and be thankful for this final 6 months.

Enjoy it as possible. No more 'career' worry. (Thank goodness you are well above that!)

Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,371,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I wish that I could retire today!!! Meeting with my financial advisor in a couple weeks. I am beginning to think that eating nothing but beans & rice would be better than staying at work.

Yes, that has occured to me also.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Well, next week I see my financial advisor! Wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement