Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 PM

231 posts, read 495,291 times

Advertisements

OK, here is my situation. Will be 67 in Sept., and still working in my 101 year old family retail business. Wife wants me to retire, but I have no hobbies. I work. 90-100 hours per week. Done this for 45 years and only had 2 vacations in those forty years of marriage. That was for our daughters trips to Disneyland and Disney World.
Tried golf, lost interest. Nothing else appeals to even explore. Father lived to age 97, he quit work at age 90 (so I have 23 years left, LOL) Family business will close upon my retirement or death.
I have gone thru the "Hobby" section, but don't see anything that would appeal to me. Looking for ideas...I know-volunteer, but to what. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 05:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile Your own business

When it's your own business, sometimes it doesn't seem like work.

How does your wife feel? Try some socializing maybe one night a week. Do a game night at your home. Invite others.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:04 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
OK, here is my situation. Will be 67 in Sept., and still working in my 101 year old family retail business. Wife wants me to retire, but I have no hobbies. I work. 90-100 hours per week. Done this for 45 years and only had 2 vacations in those forty years of marriage. That was for our daughters trips to Disneyland and Disney World.
Tried golf, lost interest. Nothing else appeals to even explore. Father lived to age 97, he quit work at age 90 (so I have 23 years left, LOL) Family business will close upon my retirement or death.
I have gone thru the "Hobby" section, but don't see anything that would appeal to me. Looking for ideas...I know-volunteer, but to what. Thanks for any input.
Uggh. I can't imagine seeing a life outside work so I can't relate. I think you've lost touch with all things in life outside working. You've got tunnel vision. The problem is, if you lose your passion for everything besides work, no one else can tell you what to do or try. You basically have to learn to develop a passion for someone or something else. There are certainly many people in the world who could probably use your help. The world is crying out for help in so many ways. But first you have to overcome your tunnel vision.

I think regular meditation can help with that. It definitely opens your mind to stuff you've shoved on to the back burner for so long you didn't even know it was there.

Here's a link to a good meditation web site, although there are certainly others.

http://www.revolutionofspirit.com/meditation1.htm

Old 08-17-2014, 06:18 PM

146 posts, read 162,547 times
I have gone thru the "Hobby" section, but don't see anything that would appeal to me. Looking for ideas...I know-volunteer, but to what. Thanks for any input.[/quote]

Any chance you can bring a part-time employee into the picture to pick up some of the duties and let you have a few days/hours off now and again? It might allow you the time needed to discover "life on the outside" again. You might find that you enjoy it and you will be ready to pull the plug.

On the other hand, maybe you are one of the few who are truly driven and passionate about what you are doing in your work and that it is the very thing that sustains you. If that is the case, don't retire. You will be miserable and make everyone else around you feel the same way.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
You have the life that makes you happy. Enjoy it. You can be very proud of yourself and your family for running a century-old successful business.

Some people have hobbies that they really enjoy, but they found them naturally; they didn't desperately seek something to kill time. It seems that your business is your perfect hobby as well as your line of work.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Default Don't let others dictate your course of action!

To Tbill (the original poster): Stick to your guns if you really WANT to continue to work. Please don't think that you need to follow the majority. Why retire and be miserable, if you are pretty sure that is what will happen?

We are all different. I always had various outside interests and hobbies, even when I was working full time. But you don't. I see no reason why you should seek to be like me.

Plenty of people will be unable to understand that some people ENJOY working. You are fortunate if that's the case.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
If I can find the study I will pits and link. The truly wealthy retire later in life. One of the prime reasons is they have a business they started or us a family business. They are the boss and the business at its core is them and driven by them. That is a rush and source of energy for them. If this sounds like you enjoy on.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If I can find the study I will pits and link. The truly wealthy retire later in life. One of the prime reasons is they have a business they started or us a family business. They are the boss and the business at its core is them and driven by them. That is a rush and source of energy for them. If this sounds like you enjoy on.
I don't know if it has anything to do with wealth. Th OP loves his work and that's all there is to it. Work is his life, work is his hobby and interest. Go for it and enjoy. Just allow your wife to take some trips and do what she wants on her own or with friends because she probably doesn't want to spend her entire life working.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
How about mentoring others in your line of work?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
I have known maybe 50 people that have worked until they were in there late 60's and 70's. The ones that retired only survived and average of 2 years in retirement. Some died within months. Of the remaining people that did not retire and continued to worked they died while still working.

With out hobbies and interests that will allow a fruitful retirement most just give up.

I can not think of any person that retired late and then lived old enough for a good retirement.

Of the people that retired at earlier ages, while they were young enough to reestablish a non working live style with interests and hobbies lived for another 20-30 years.

In the OP case the best choice would be to continue to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement