Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times

Advertisements

You want to pick a state, then a part of the state and then a location with all the stores and services close buy. Remember hurricanes. I would look toward Ocala FL.

You want to spend two or three days at the community, not a drive buy. Get an appointment with a community(builders) based salesman before you go. They are usually low key and will help you. They do not have to do a hard sell in good communities. You want to look at a few and do not rush. If you can you might rent for a while. Maybe rent for a month or two in the Villages and scout out the area.

I think over 55 is the way to go. Much better Socially. I think you have to group the communities into small, medium, large and very large (Villages). I think large or medium.

Look at Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida Read this to get an idea of what a 55+ community might be. The reason I eliminated small is that the community could probably not afford all the clubs etc.
try The Villages 4 Rent, Rentals in The Villages for a rental
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Why is it centered on Florida?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:35 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
The Villages might be tight on your budget. I suggest you look at Sun City Center just south of Tampa. It has tons of affordable housing, activities, and amenities without the enormous fees of other age restricted communities. My friend just moved there and she and her husband are loving it.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:42 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I agree we have heat and humidity and bugs, but smell of mold? Your house shouldn't smell of mold.
I've never lived there, but visited several times for a week or more, because my ex's mom lives there. From the moment I get off the plane until I leave the state my nose is assaulted by the constant smell of mold and mildew. I have a heightened sense of smell for some reason, and the constant humidity in the state caused me to smell mildew everywhere, especially in carpeted homes/restaurants/etc. I guess the carpet or padding retains the moisture and mildews (not visibly). I couldn't take that smell. I imagine anyone with mold allergies would find it unbearable.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I've never lived there, but visited several times for a week or more, because my ex's mom lives there. From the moment I get off the plane until I leave the state my nose is assaulted by the constant smell of mold and mildew. I have a heightened sense of smell for some reason, and the constant humidity in the state caused me to smell mildew everywhere, especially in carpeted homes/restaurants/etc. I guess the carpet or padding retains the moisture and mildews (not visibly). I couldn't take that smell. I imagine anyone with mold allergies would find it unbearable.
Tile floors and air conditioning is the answer. If I move there and go away for any length of time I plan to have a thermostat that will turn on the AC if the humidity rises when the temperature doesn't, or have an automated dehumidifier of some type. Chances are, though when it is cool enough, I will be there.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:43 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
I like the idea of a gated 55+ for the simple reason that most property crimes and noise are created by people under 55. Maybe I am just a hothead, but if someone steals from me I would want them dead. I have no use for people that do not respect other people's right to happiness at a minimum.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM

24 posts, read 52,275 times
I live in the Del Webb community in Apollo Beach - south of Tampa. Love it.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I love the Del Webb developments but would avoid any club activity myself. After enduring one here, finding out that bullies do exist, lol, I will never join another club here....ever. There is life outside these walls and you have to find your spot.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM fitter View Post
My DW and I are starting our journey researching our retirement location/home. Florida seems at the top of the list, so far. 55+ communities have gotten our interest. I don't know a lot about them and would rather hear from someone with experience (positive or negative) than just look at websites.

We will be in Orlando soon, leaving for a cruise. We have one extra day after the cruise and would like to get a quick look at the area.

East or west coast....haven't decided. If we buy a home, I would like to be on the south side of 200k.

I don't expect Boca or Naples, but I'm also not interested in living in a trailer.

Any help will be welcomed.
How much time have you actually spent in Fl?

There are so many people that have moved to FL and for one reason or another don't like it and move further north to SC and NC that they have come up with a name for them, halfbacks, because the move "half" way back to the north.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 24,675 times
if you become an SC RESIDENT, vice a part time visitor, in South Carolina, the tax situation DOES NOT stink. It is great. I pay a pittance for both property and state income tax as an over age 65 resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement