Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone read the article. It's really not about clothing/fashion. It's about attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:38 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If one chastises another for going off topic, should they then further derail by adding to the off topic ?..........
Ah, my favorite stalker is back at it, making sure I don't feel lonely out here!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I wear skinny jeans - love them. I am thin so I hope I don't look tacky.
I'm just the opposite. I'm small and thin and don't need to accentuate that. I wear boot cut jeans. My problem with clothes is that I can't find 'adult' clothes to fit me. I have to buy my pants, especially, in the girls section. I see so many clothes at work that I really like but size wise they just don't fit. I can buy tops in the Junior dept. that look pretty good. I am in the process of cleaning out my closet these days and I've got a LOT to get rid of that will never fit again. Not sure they fit all that well to begin with.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:56 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Actually these look good on all women but mature women seem to carry it off best. This is not a fashion article. Be sure to look at the pictures at the end. I first posted this in fashion forum but think retirement age women would appreciate it even more.

What Not to Wear After Age 50: The Final Say*|*Michelle Combs
I used to be "guilty" of some of those things listed in the article. Mostly the "rose colored glasses" thing. All my life I've been a most positive person, always looking for the bright side and thinking of how things "should" be. Problem is OTHER people somehow managed to sneak in there and 'ruin' it for me. lol

As for the fashion pics included...I could never in a million years carry any of those off. They are just not 'me'.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Nothing screams 'I gave up' like elastic waist pants and a bowl-cut bob. Throw in white sneakers and alrighty!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
The style I am moving more and more to is "Lagenlook" - layered fashions.

Some of the women in that article are sporting the look.

This is nice website that describes what the look is about . . . and if you look at their various departments, you will find clothing that would create a nice lagenlook wardrobe.

I am looking forward to pulling out my sewing machine this summer and making some of these items!

About Us

Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Not sure if anyone read the article. It's really not about clothing/fashion. It's about attitudes.
EXACTLY....and why I posted the article. Seems like many just look at pictures and don't read content.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:25 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I check every so often to make sure I haven't made it there.

I've told my children that if I ever end up in a nursing home to simply supply me with scrubs. They can be bought to mix and match so I'm never dressed in garish color combinations, and there are cute patterns available.
LOL, but they may get you mixed up with the folks working there!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
EXACTLY....and why I posted the article. Seems like many just look at pictures and don't read content.

Yes, it is about attitude and feeling good about yourself . . . and confident in your own style.

I would say that women who have always felt confident will continue feeling confident - whatever their style may evolve to but those who have never felt they had their own style . . . they may be the ones with difficulty deciding how to best present themselves to the world.

The other thing is . . . comfort. Many of us opt for a more comfortable fashion sense as we get older.

I used to say I wouldn't be caught in a pair of shoes with lower than a 2 1/2 in" heel (except for ballerina shoes, of course) . . . and these days, I have fascitis so . . . I cringe when I know I have to put on anything without a comfy sole, lol.

So one's attitude is everything . . . except when the desire to dress a particular way collides with physical issues. Then, it is up to us to figure out what works within those parameters.

I thought the author was being somewhat facetious and finding a humorous way to discuss fashion as well as personal beliefs and attitude. I didn't think it was all that amusing, though. I thought some of the things were kind of mean spirited -- and pointed to the author having a rather angry attitude about her own life.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:33 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Well, the article did come across as a bit ticked off, although mostly it came off as a bit of a rage against "them" telling everyone else what they are supposed to wear.

I'm not sure about the "no-no" on seasonal clothing, though. I think there should be an exception made for really tacky seasonal stuff. That's the whole point of many Christmas sweaters, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement