Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:40 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,202,653 times

Advertisements

AARP alternative AMAC
AMAC Was Founded to be Your Alternative to AARP - AMAC, Inc. AMAC, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:04 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,815,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I never knew that! Now I feel very good about using them
Have you ever heard the saying" Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,540,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Oh, great.

In this corner, we have the "left-leaning" AARP which has revealed itself to be primarily a big insurance racket. In the other corner, we have some organization trying to be "not-AARP" - except that it's describing itself as a not-left-leaning organization. So it's setting out to balance a non-existent entity.

Neither one sounds like anything I would want to be associated with.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 PM

37,412 posts, read 45,595,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They will swamp you with continuous mailings.

I toss them without even opening.
I do as well. Thankfully, they have stopped sending stuff. Maybe they think I have passed.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:37 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,238,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The politics of AARP were very much on my mind when I began getting their mailings, many years ago. It is not just a matter of, "It's only $16!". If you financially support any conservative organizations - as we do - then spending money on AARP makes your other donations worthless. Please think of that before you join...you are paying to fight the very groups you support!

I am 67, wife is 65. We retired 2 years ago; I did so by selling my business. The sales agreement stipulates that I will be an "employee" for life (though I don't actually work), and entitled to company medical insurance for self and wife. Thus, neither of us is interested in Medicare.

Well you would have thought the roof fell in, when I turned 65, and again when my wife turned 65. Do you know how difficult it is to decline Medicare? They just couldn't seem to get it right by mail or by phone. We ended up having to go to the nearest SS office to speak with them in person. Otherwise, we would have been billed for Part B!

And we were once again bombarded with AARP mail, so positive were they that we would be enrolling in Medicare and would want their "insurance" coverage for Part D and some other thing I can't even remember. These people are nothing but shills for insurance companies.

So this is AARP's fault how again? You are the exception, well over 90% of Americans file for Medicare. Your frustrations with trying to decline the benefit is understandable but it's hardly AARP's fault. They are not responsible for Medicare's inefficiency. As for their mailings are you really expecting them to cull their mailing lists and take off the small percentage of people who are not interested in Medicare?

All the complaining by conservatives here has just given me incentive to sign up again when my first year is up.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,202,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Oh, great.

In this corner, we have the "left-leaning" AARP which has revealed itself to be primarily a big insurance racket. In the other corner, we have some organization trying to be "not-AARP" - except that it's describing itself as a not-left-leaning organization. So it's setting out to balance a non-existent entity.

Neither one sounds like anything I would want to be associated with.
Then DON'T! Not sure anyone cares; I sure DO NOT!! I just put the info out there....

Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Have a go at it and get your politics driven life really in order.
We have, thank you. As retired political and legislative analysts we are quite discerning when it comes to politics. How strange is that? Consequently we do our best to avoid adding to the exchequer of companies and organizations that espouse and support issues with which we disagree. AARP just happens to be one of them as in the past I have gone nose-to-nose and toes-to-toes with their lobbyists while testifying before legislative policy and fiscal committees.

I wouldn't say our lives are "politics driven" but would say it's one of a large number of elements when making decisions on how and where to spend our money and time.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Then DON'T! Not sure anyone cares; I sure DO NOT!! I just put the info out there....
And he was just expressing his opinion which I have found to be totally acceptable here if properly articulated which his response was.

You might want to ease up a bit there lest you end up with apoplexy. And that's my opinion!

Old 03-07-2015, 05:14 PM

22,633 posts, read 14,855,142 times
According to Wikipedia ...

AARP - founded in 1958, has 37+ million members

According to their own website ...

AMAC - founded in 2007, has "over a million" members.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:14 AM

4,781 posts, read 10,530,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Usually if you look like a senior, no one even bothers to ask for proof.

AARP or aaa.
+1...I don't eat at Denny's/Cracker Barrel, et al, but when we travel domestically I almost always book the AARP discount, (after perusing other 'discounts' on a motel chain site), and I think I've been asked twice for 'my card' in the past 15+ years.

'Senior discount' is quite ubiquitous these days, and just looking semi-senior is all it usually takes.

Fwiw, I 'belonged' back at 50+ for few years, but the mag and mailings and 'discounts' had little value for me.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement