Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:23 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

did i tell you that you sound just like my next wife ? ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:51 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Pretty much every formerly married woman I know said they wouldn't do it again. Widowed or divorced.
Most likely for 2 very different reasons. One for love and the other for hate.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Most likely for 2 very different reasons. One for love and the other for hate.
No, just want to retire the maid and cooking duties.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:25 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
I get tired of being told what to do.

Then when driving BH around what a back seat driver!

Lucky I don't swat him.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:26 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
lets not forget that big bulge in a mans pants - HIS WALLET
Sorry no. I don't need a man for his money. I work my ass off and make my own money.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:23 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
My lovely bride says you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a "Hoot" - also I'm #3 for her - she says third time's a charmer....

Old 04-19-2015, 04:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
In certain circumstances, there is a financial advantage of a legal marriage.
Certainly true and by the same token for certain widows/widowers in particular economical circumstances it could definitely be a disadvantage. So many different scenarios and outcomes are possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
There is a saying among sportsmen on the great plains, "If it floats, flys, or f*ks you are better off renting."

I am in a caregiver role 40 years in, and I have the sense that I will be pretty much used up for that kind of duty. I might try to get out and get some exercise, but marriage? Nope.
Forty years of caregiving will certainly wear even the best of us completely out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I wonder what percent of women who remarried after the death of a spouse said.........."no way "....while their husband was still living.
I could be wrong but for some widows the husband may have passed away suddenly and unexpectedly so perhaps the conversation never came up; no opportunity for negative memories and/or lingering negative sentiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Many older women have a tough time finding men to date.
Quite honestly I never found this to be the case (concerning "finding men to date") but surprisingly what I discovered is that there were vast differences between divorced men and widowers. The divorced men seemed more anxious to find "the one" and remarry and the widowers, not so much; I can't explain it really. What do I know?

Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
A second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:35 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
A second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
System wouldn't let me rep you again. You posted words of great wisdom.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:38 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Interesting replies.

The few happiest-married people I know are those who remarried after their spouse died, or who speculate that they would marry again. I know far more sort-of happily and unhappily married couples; the wives say they would never remarry again, ever. They say it vehemently! So I guess it's a compliment when a husband or wife remarries. They had something so good they want it again. Others say they had it so good that it could never be replicated and thus would not remarry, but I haven't personally come across that view.
Been married coming up on 40 years and I could not imagine not being married or at least having a companion.

What I live for is making my wife laugh or giggle. At least once every day I want her to find something funny to at least smile about.

We do a lot of things together but we recognize as well some things I like doing she doesn't and the same goes for her. Not a problem, if I want to go look for dinosaur fossils in the middle of nowhere I don't expect her to want to go with me but if she does she is more than welcome. If she wants to go to a craft show, she is very crafty, she doesn't expect me to go knowing I'd rather chew my arm off than go.

We're companions, not Siamese twins.

But men die earlier. I know a lot of widows in our church but not a single widower.

Men tend to think women are the "weaker sex" because it has been ingrained into us for centuries but it's not true. Women are much, much stronger than men and they know it.. they just don't let us know they know.

Get married again? Maybe not, might be best to just live in sin because that avoids problems with the death of a spouse.

God forbid but let's say something happens to my wife. Shortly after I would start looking for someone but before I met her we each had lives with others... children and everything that goes along with that.

Live in sin... she'd keep her house and all her belongings and I'd keep all mine because if I die I want my children to get everything their mother and I accumulated over our lifetime and I am sure her children would feel the same. Saw it happen once; an older man and woman married after a previous life and children. When she died her the jewelry her first husband gave to her ended up in the possession of his children after he died. To me this would be unconscionable... my future companion and I might share a small joint checking account but that would be about it. Anything we did purchase together would be documented.

Nothing better happen to my wife is all I can say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement