Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,413,534 times

Advertisements

I LOVE apartment and townhome community living. I've lived in homes before and had to cut my own grass, do repairs, etc. Too much. I never want to own a home unless I had enough money to hire at least 2 people to do full-time maintenance for my place (which isn't likely I'll ever be in that position so forget it. ) Community living is the way to go... find a community you like and go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:04 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,955,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The prior owner lived in Illinois and hadn't been down in 10+ years. She relied on a management company to "keep up" the place. They replaced part of the sidewalk and instead of carrying off the old cement, they put it in the front yard, raked some dirt over it, and put some gravel over it.

I have the landscaper carte blanche to get it done nicely. He carried off a lot of rock, made a natural drain off for the rain and left everything very nice. It is now very attractive which encourages me to spend more time on the front yard.
This place needs a bit of a sidewalk. When they added on the garage they did add two concrete steps outside of both side doors. Don't know why they didn't extend the one to the porch...about 8 feet. There is some sort of black plastic material on the ground and I've left it because otherwise it's just dirt and gets tracked in. I see a lot of rock in my future too.

I saw, on Craigslist, people giving away rock. All different sizes and colors for landscaping. For free!! Big problem when you could really use it but have NO way to go get it and bring it back, not to mention 'someone' to do the heavy work of putting it in. Sigh.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,821,954 times
Yardwork is definitely a burden (bad knees) and I never enjoyed it anyway. I'm unhappy to be spending money that I could otherwise use for travel, on yard maintenance, tree trimming etc. When I was just a kid one of my cousins had a fall downstairs and I decided at that early age, I would never live in a house with more than one story.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:07 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,448,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
This place needs a bit of a sidewalk. When they added on the garage they did add two concrete steps outside of both side doors. Don't know why they didn't extend the one to the porch...about 8 feet. There is some sort of black plastic material on the ground and I've left it because otherwise it's just dirt and gets tracked in. I see a lot of rock in my future too.

I saw, on Craigslist, people giving away rock. All different sizes and colors for landscaping. For free!! Big problem when you could really use it but have NO way to go get it and bring it back, not to mention 'someone' to do the heavy work of putting it in. Sigh.

If you head to the Kino complex the day AFTER the end of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, you can get tons of rock for a song. There are a lot of people who would haul and unload it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement