Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 AM

649 posts, read 819,912 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't specifically retirement oriented but this forum seems well educated on social security so i thought I'd start here.

My relative worked for her husband on the books but for a paltry reported salary for 20 years. When retirement age rolled around he had her file for social security so that it would pay for Medicare and he could drop her from their costly a la carte health insurance policy. He is years younger so not eligible for Medicare yet himself. That was at age 65 for her. Her monthly SS check has about $75/mo left over after her Medicare stuff is taken out. Not much. Now at age 67 she has been diagnosed with early onset alzheimers and needs round the clock care. She would certainly qualify for disability had she not been drawing currently. Does she have any options to switch to SSDI? (which I would imagine would pay a higher benefit?)

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,009,245 times
Medicare has nothing to do with filing for SS. Everyone is signed up for part A at 65. They did what all would have done to make money in a small business as joint owner when married. Disabilityis for those under full retirement age to draw full retirement.At 65 likely not but few dollars than 66 full retirement. You need to do more research on small business/taxes.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:29 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,574,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
My relative worked for her husband on the books but for a paltry reported salary for 20 years. When retirement age rolled around he had her file for social security so that it would pay for Medicare and he could drop her from their costly a la carte health insurance policy.

He is years younger so not eligible for Medicare yet himself.

That was at age 65 for her. Her monthly SS check has about $75/mo left over after her Medicare stuff is taken out. Not much. Now at age 67 she has been diagnosed with early onset alzheimers and needs round the clock care.

She would certainly qualify for disability had she not been drawing currently. Does she have any options to switch to SSDI? (which I would imagine would pay a higher benefit?)
SSDI does pay a higher benefit but it is still predicated on earnings. More importantly, your relative is now too old for SSDI. SSDI ends for anyone who has reached full retirement age. Anyone on SSDI before FRA is automatically switched FROM SSDI to their Social Security benefit when they reach FRA.

Absent a long-term care policy which hubby should have bought years ago, their option is to somehow find eligibility for Medicaid for her. Also, talk to county social services on programs/suggestions for situations like this, investigate Alzheimer's support groups. Most people can't afford in-home round-the-clock care.

If hubby had purchased a Medigap with a home health care rider when she went on Medicare, the policy would pay for daily (365 days annually) home visits if physician prescribed. Not the same as round-the-clock care, but some help.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-04-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,428,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

If hubby had purchased a Medigap with a home health care rider when she went on Medicare, the policy would pay for daily (365 days annually) home visits if physician prescribed. Not the same as round-the-clock care, but some help.
Ariadne, thanks for that insight! Very timely - I am in the middle of research on LTCi. It's quite the choke to see that I'll be paying a fixed cost of $3600/year (plus premium increases) for a long, long time for LTCI. I'll jump on a medicare site and look up home health care riders.

Will let y'all know what I find out.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,574,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Ariadne, thanks for that insight! Very timely - I am in the middle of research on LTCi. It's quite the choke to see that I'll be paying a fixed cost of $3600/year (plus premium increases) for a long, long time for LTCI. I'll jump on a medicare site and look up home health care riders.
Caveat to the foregoing. Home health will not pay for a caregiver for an eight-hour shift, afaik. This is more for the purpose of daily visits involving changing bandages, administering medication, monitoring, etc. I had a 102-y/o neighbor who stayed in her house to her death. She had daily visits, but the visiting nurse never stayed longer than a half hour to an hour, iirc. This was about 20 years ago.

There is no substitute for an LTC coverage when dealing with something like Alzheimer's.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:04 AM

236 posts, read 252,383 times
The best bet at this point is to pursue Medicaid. Even if she doesn't qualify now, she and those who support her should know how to apply when the time comes. Some states provide extensive in-home services through the Medicaid program for certain groups of people. The benefits and application process vary by state. If she goes into a nursing home first, the staff there will apply for her or at least facilitate the process. But I wouldn't wait for that -- she might be able to get support now to live the best life possible at home.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:05 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,356,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
My relative worked for her husband on the books but for a paltry reported salary for 20 years.
Who'd have thought that defrauding the government all those years could have come back to bite them in the rear. Lesson learned to future readers of this thread to report what you actually make every year. My biggest problem with our tax code in this country is how easy it is for small business to cheat the system then expect us to pick up the tab when it goes wrong during retirement years.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 AM

9,329 posts, read 16,698,878 times
Where is her husband in all this? Isn't he financially responsible for her care? Do they have assets? It is my understanding that Medicare requires you use assets up before they will pay for nursing home. Someone else can answer that but I would think the husband has some responsibility in her care.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:25 AM

649 posts, read 819,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Where is her husband in all this? Isn't he financially responsible for her care? Do they have assets? It is my understanding that Medicare requires you use assets up before they will pay for nursing home. Someone else can answer that but I would think the husband has some responsibility in her care.
Yes, her husband who is still working and self employed is paying for her care. It is not a cheap or easy thing to do. His business has always been merely a hand to mouth affair so not some luxurious pile of hidden money is available. They have assets but it is sad to imagine him having to become a total pauper at this point in life so that her care can be covered.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:26 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,356,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Of course not, it's our responsibility due to the fact that he cheated the government for decades. Don't be silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement