Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,828,159 times

Advertisements

I think part of what makes our community special is the natural beauty of the area, the kind and generous people who live here, and the abundance and variety of activities in the community and in the surrounding area. There is something for everyone, and if there isn't a group that does what you like, you can start one and someone else will join you. That's not to say that there aren't a few "bad apples", but you quickly figure out who they are and can easily avoid them, if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 AM

284 posts, read 363,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Shadow,

You are a good ambassador for your community. My main objections to 55+ communities is the uniformity of housing and that everyone seems to be imprisoned in their homes, rarely seen except in their cars going to and from "town" and occasionally walking a dog. Your community sounds very different than the models I've seen. My in-laws live in a pretty but too uniform, no people in sight 55+ community and they seem happy with it.
She is a great ambassador for her community, and everything she says about it seems to be true based on our experiences visiting there. This is where we hope to retire in the next couple of years. Absolutely one of the pluses, don't think I've seen 2 houses alike out of the 1000's that are in the community, well except for some of the condos/townhouses. I love that there's variety of architecture and they've maintained a very natural feel to the neighborhoods. It's not overly manicured like so many planned developments, which may be for some, but definitely not me. It's all very park like with trees, beautiful golf courses and the lake as a backdrop for your home. We can't wait to get there!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:43 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,602,226 times
"Obama intends to integrate projects into upper echelon communities. And based on what I've seen no one appears about to stop anything he does - if you haven't heard you ought to search google you'll be surprised what you find and not happy either is my prediction."

laughing out loud, why yes, Obama will certainly be doing that. No.

especially "projects"

Yes, Obama is the quite the wild radical leader. No

Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 PM

8,286 posts, read 8,699,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
It's living around seniors who judge then think they have all the answers that doesn't appeal to me.
You did enough judging in your first post.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:07 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,828,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
She is a great ambassador for her community, and everything she says about it seems to be true based on our experiences visiting there. This is where we hope to retire in the next couple of years. Absolutely one of the pluses, don't think I've seen 2 houses alike out of the 1000's that are in the community, well except for some of the condos/townhouses. I love that there's variety of architecture and they've maintained a very natural feel to the neighborhoods. It's not overly manicured like so many planned developments, which may be for some, but definitely not me. It's all very park like with trees, beautiful golf courses and the lake as a backdrop for your home. We can't wait to get there!
Thank you! I just can't help but want to share our good fortune in finding what is, for us, the perfect place to spend our retirement. No single place is perfect for everyone, but the folks who have landed here seem to be the happiest group of people I've ever met.

p.s. We enjoyed visiting with you and are looking forward to seeing you when you return. Take care!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,007,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What doesn't suit you today may very well be needed tomorrow. I know I never thought I would wind up wanting to live the way I am seeking to live now. But that's fine. The best thing we can be in our later years is flexible.
Four years ago our situation seemed to suit us just fine. We bought a house to renovate in a college town in a nice neighborhood. No neighbors behind us but those who have passed on, none across the street, but on either side of us the neighbors are quite close. Each year as the passel of kids in the neighborhood have grown, the noise factor has become greater. The young homeowner on one side has late-night fire pits going in summer and fall with frequent get togethers. The condo development one street over never seems to stop, with the beeping trucks starting as early as 7:00 a.m. Our property, though lovely, is feeling too big for our 70s and 80s. Snow-raking the roof last winter made me realize this can't continue for many more years.

Problem for us is we don't want to live rural and we don't want to live just among older folk. The appeal of a 55+ for me is that hopefully the noise factor would be much less, but who knows? There are a lot of inconsiderate people out there of any age who gab and laugh and smoke loudly and rev or idle vehicles within earshot, party till late hours, etc. It could be much worse for us in a close 55 community as older people can be less amenable to appeals. At least we can talk to our neighbors and they do make an attempt to control things (for a while before their annoying habits kick back in).

As we look ahead to turning 70 in several years, we have a lot of thinking to do. I wish we could resolve the living situation soon, so we can just relax and enjoy the rest of our lives. I'm not excited about making another move and would be happy to stay here except for the neighbors and the size of the property (which also includes amt of taxes).

Old 08-04-2015, 10:24 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,794,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Four years ago our situation seemed to suit us just fine. We bought a house to renovate in a college town in a nice neighborhood. No neighbors behind us but those who have passed on, none across the street, but on either side of us the neighbors are quite close. Each year as the passel of kids in the neighborhood have grown, the noise factor has become greater. The young homeowner on one side has late-night fire pits going in summer and fall with frequent get togethers. The condo development one street over never seems to stop, with the beeping trucks starting as early as 7:00 a.m. Our property, though lovely, is feeling too big for our 70s and 80s. Snow-raking the roof last winter made me realize this can't continue for many more years.

Problem for us is we don't want to live rural and we don't want to live just among older folk. The appeal of a 55+ for me is that hopefully the noise factor would be much less, but who knows? There are a lot of inconsiderate people out there of any age who gab and laugh and smoke loudly and rev or idle vehicles within earshot, party till late hours, etc. It could be much worse for us in a close 55 community as older people can be less amenable to appeals. At least we can talk to our neighbors and they do make an attempt to control things (for a while before their annoying habits kick back in).

As we look ahead to turning 70 in several years, we have a lot of thinking to do. I wish we could resolve the living situation soon, so we can just relax and enjoy the rest of our lives. I'm not excited about making another move and would be happy to stay here except for the neighbors and the size of the property (which also includes amt of taxes).
I think you should look at some of the nearby towns that have quiet side streets. Small, older ranch houses that are well built. Some neighborhoods are almost all older people and the houses are small enough that a noisy family wouldn't likely to move in. (Of course somebody can always move in, add an addition, and fit a noisy bunch of kids into it--that's the chance you take.)

But it's almost like living in a 55+ community without the rules and regulations. Also, you are still part of a regular neighborhood.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:55 PM

6 posts, read 14,961 times
Default High Point Retirement community- Delray Beach

Any opinion on High point 55+ community in Delray Beach? I need to know how near High Point is from good shopping, beach, culture and entertainment? My interest is to purchase a large 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom town home with a den,porch and a view within a 55+ community with activities for single residents. Safety, and a well managed and active community are absolutely important.
I plan to spend a month in Florida this winter looking around with the hope to relocate by Summer 2016. I welcome all opinions and suggestions.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:03 AM

496 posts, read 554,572 times
Google Maps can tell you exactly how far it is from the beach. Google Search can tell you what amenities are in the area - for example, "Restaurants near High Point Delray Beach."

Real estate agents are a fantastic resource. Whenever I start researching a new area, and haven't visited it yet, I contact a few real estate agents by e-mail. Out of 3 or 4, there is usually at least one I "click with" (smart, candid, doesn't try to paint everything rosy-colored) who can point me to the information I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsolo2 View Post
Any opinion on High point 55+ community in Delray Beach? I need to know how near High Point is from good shopping, beach, culture and entertainment? My interest is to purchase a large 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom town home with a den,porch and a view within a 55+ community with activities for single residents. Safety, and a well managed and active community are absolutely important.
I plan to spend a month in Florida this winter looking around with the hope to relocate by Summer 2016. I welcome all opinions and suggestions.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 AM

6,613 posts, read 7,117,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsolo2 View Post
You are doing that right but yourown2feet has some good suggestions. I would though still do the visit. See what is there with your own eyes. Kick the tires and see if you feel like it is or could be home. Just remember that your move there is not in a vaccuum. There are costs associated with that move that have nothing to do with money. A move means a change in familiar things like doctors and hospitals. Your automechanic and hair dresser/barber. Grocery stores and brands that are carried in them might be different. Old friends and family will not be there to drop in on or them to come see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Google Maps can tell you exactly how far it is from the beach. Google Search can tell you what amenities are in the area - for example, "Restaurants near High Point Delray Beach."

Real estate agents are a fantastic resource. Whenever I start researching a new area, and haven't visited it yet, I contact a few real estate agents by e-mail. Out of 3 or 4, there is usually at least one I "click with" (smart, candid, doesn't try to paint everything rosy-colored) who can point me to the information I need.

Those are great resources and should be used but nothing beats being on the ground there. Also this is a great resource this forum we have. Everyone can ask for an opinion and someone will gladly offer it. We all need help and would like to know what others feel about this, that and the other thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement