Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:18 PM

446 posts, read 713,183 times

Advertisements

I'm 61 and retired and am sick to death of the neighbors screaming kids (LOTS OF THEM), the boats, the trailers, the jet-ski's, the dirt bikes, the teenagers, etc.

In theory a mix of neighbors is nice. In practice my neighbors are noisy, inconsiderate jerks and I'm sick to death of them.

So, any comments on life in a 55+ neighborhood? I'm thinking of doing a move to a new town next year and wonder if I should be looking at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 03:30 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,358,568 times
Some are really nice. But..some are like living in a independent nursing home. I too have looked for my husband and I but mostly for my parents in their 80s and the ones I've check out are very senior. I am your age and we live on a cattle ranch and just plain tired of the work and having just cows as you best friends. I moved my parents to Bella Vista and they love it. Mostly seniors in great shape but anyone can move to that town but developed for seniors in mind. with a POA sometimes gets the parents and kids in another area.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:34 PM

8,313 posts, read 8,737,757 times
Make sure you look at active adult communities. I think the previous poster (post #2)is thinking senior housing.

It all depends on what you enjoy doing. Go to Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc « WELCOME TO RECREATION CENTERS OF SUN CITY AZ RECREATION CENTERS OF SUN CITY AZ to get a better idea. Click on the list of clubs. I am sure there will be things you enjoy.

I would never live anywhere but a 55+. Everyone is from somewhere else so it is easy to meet new people. Always something to do. Younger people moving in all the time. I have never heard anyone say they are sorry they moved here.

You can still have a mixture of ages by driving a mile or 2 in any direction, but they won't be next door!

Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 PM

6,664 posts, read 7,413,334 times
I live in an active 55 community. Do not have your problem. I would definitely look at the communities but you might want to post some more info about your likes and dislikes. You budget might have an impact too.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:25 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,963,428 times
To the OP: From what you wrote it seems to me you would be an ideal candidate for a 55 plus community. Having things QUIET is a high priority for you, and nothing wrong with that.

However, in your list of complaints I didn't understand the part about the boats and the trailers. Do the boats and the trailers make too much noise?

Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 PM

971 posts, read 1,461,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I'm 61 and retired and am sick to death of the neighbors screaming kids (LOTS OF THEM), the boats, the trailers, the jet-ski's, the dirt bikes, the teenagers, etc.

In theory a mix of neighbors is nice. In practice my neighbors are noisy, inconsiderate jerks and I'm sick to death of them.

So, any comments on life in a 55+ neighborhood? I'm thinking of doing a move to a new town next year and wonder if I should be looking at them.
I have a friend that moved to Sun City about 15 years ago that Thinkalot mentions and he loves it there.

Also my brother and SIL looked at Belle Vista and liked it very much. The SIL needed to be helpful to her sisters so opted to find a place closer to them. They found a gated community of manufactured homes and bought there. I am not sure if it is a 55+ area or not.

Wish you good luck in your search.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:26 PM

4,083 posts, read 2,175,666 times
I live in a somewhat weird situation that my small (76 condos) community was marketed for 55+ but isn't restricted to that age. I moved in when I was 52. A couple in their 40's moved in since the ranch style was good for the woman who is disabled---they since adopted a baby, so we now have a child living in the community. This has not been a problem at all.

It is peaceful and quiet----but it is not one of the developments with tons of activities. This forces me to get out into the community and enjoy a variety of activities in different places. I don't think I'd like to be as insular as what is likely to happen in the larger communities. But I kind of enjoy a challenge and expending a lot of energy to find things on my own to do, rather than have an activities director decide what it is the community will offer.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,849,869 times
We are in Sun City Summerlin, Las Vegas and there is so much to do here we can't fit it all in.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,609,026 times
I live in a 55+ mobile home park in Central Florida. Many decide on this type of living in retirement, as an alternative to high cost living. In truth it is not really that cheap, even when one owns their home. The lot rents are very high and constantly being raised. Mobile Homes are rather expensive to maintain, and next to impossible to insure (in Florida). Believe me it is an added plus, if the owner is handy. Otherwise have some bucks for repairmen. What use to come with lot rent is now paid by the home owner. Such as water, trash, sewage, and lawn care.

For anyone deciding on this type housing be very careful also, of who exactly is allowed to live in the park. If it is in a lower income area, there will be problems as I quickly found out. A number of homeowners have their adult children living with them. It would seem by appearance and behaviours these adult children have many issues. I would say issues that prevent them from living on their own. They can't support themselves, and don't seem to put much effort in doing so. They seem noisy all seem to have motor cycles and constant friends over drinking and smoking pot. At least in the park I am in. There is nothing I can do about it, and I don't want a life of complaining about it to the manager. It is very stressful, and very disrespectful to expect a retiree to tolerate this, but honestly there is nothing that can be done. I am told 20% of tenants can be younger, if the owner of the home is over 55. At least in Florida. I could stand them if they were quiet respectable working children but they are not. Actually its difficult to refer to people in their 30's and 40's as adult children.

So if you ever decide to try senior manufactured home living, really be careful. Even then you can't be sure. I found unless its a park with higher income type retirees, this seems to be a problem. At least in the region of Florida I am in.

If you are someone that can buy a regular house in an actual 55+ community. Then I would recommend that. Just as I said really do your homework, and visit at all times of the day and night to see what goes on in the community. Do not depend on Real Estate Agents to be truthful about communities. Many are just out for the sale and the commission.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:33 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
You should check some out for yourself. Make sure you know the rules on who can stay with the owner(s) under what circumstances. You could get saddled with where they are allowed to babysit grandkids etc every day or as some say the kids seem to live there. Much less the near-do-well relative permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement