Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 09:44 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,124,189 times

Advertisements

Today I got my first ever lawn ornament. An iron peacock. I just had fencing and gates put to make a front courtyard. Once the doors/mailbox, etc are all in place I will have a sitting area in my front yard. Now I need 2 trees and of course I wish I had planted them 20 years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:36 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
So I'm confused... Are we TRYING to add to our hoards on this forum, or NOT trying to add to our hoards? Because attending yard sales for entertainment, you're gonna add to your hoard that way!

Old 07-17-2015, 08:47 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,812,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So I'm confused... Are we TRYING to add to our hoards on this forum, or NOT trying to add to our hoards? Because attending yard sales for entertainment, you're gonna add to your hoard that way!
Both, I think. If you are downsizing, at some point the big dining table may have to go. And if you see a table that is cleverly designed to self store drop leaves and function as a small end table most of the time at a garage sale, it might make sense to pick it up. Just one example. I am keeping my eyes open for a counter top convection oven (not paying Wolfgang Puck infomercial prices) even though I know it would go in the attic for now.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:49 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Good point! But I would imagine it would take great self-control to stop at just the space-efficient table. Personally, I just try to stay out of Goodwill at this point; that one cheap item I need has a way of turning into five cheap items I DON'T need!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:02 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,038,045 times
Plumbers thread tape.
I KNOW I already have some, but can't find it.....and at 2 rolls for a dollar...having NO idea where it might be it wasn't worth my time to look for it. I just bought another pack. One day MAYBE ... I'll stumble on to the missing roll (and say something like, "My goodness, THAT's where that was).
If not, c'est la vie.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 AM

10,419 posts, read 14,657,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This thread is for those of us who are adding wonderful things. There are other threads for people whose lives are over and wish to have nothing, no beloved possessions around them.

I go to yard sales hoping to find interesting things to buy. Why else would I go?

I'd wager we are more likely to have pets. I'd also wager that on average we'll live longer.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,112,356 times
EBAY delivery of great 1940's small table cloth and 4 napkins yesterday. Lovely colorful pattern of fruits. I am still waiting for my Vera Bradley blue and silver magnectic clasp bracelet. And yesterday, finally, got my small, amplified speakers from Amazon, for my new, little record player I bought a couple weeks ago. It's fun being old, retired, having a bit of cash, to buy whatever I want. Never could do that growing up and in my early working years.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:23 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,805,670 times
^^^WTG LDG!!!!

I got another twelve pack of Cottonelle, on sale AND a coupon!

Old 07-17-2015, 06:06 PM

7,074 posts, read 6,357,275 times
Good for you on the tp catch.
I have to report my rollator came today & already wonder how I did without it. Was able to put my laundry basket on the seat & roll laundry to the laundry room without hurting my back. Did all of it, 4 loads, when I was able to do only one before, hence the pile-up. Was able to fold the clothes without bending. What a wonderful piece of equipment. And it looks just like the $199 at the medical place. Now I can finally go to garage sales & summer festivals & sit when I get tired. Yahoo!

Old 07-17-2015, 07:09 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,950,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Plumbers thread tape.
I KNOW I already have some, but can't find it.....and at 2 rolls for a dollar...having NO idea where it might be it wasn't worth my time to look for it. I just bought another pack
I think when I start to pack things for moving, I will find dozens of screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, sockets, scissors, flashlights, gloves, tarps, tapes of all kinds etc.

I am glad that the local Harbor Freight Tools store has been around for only few years. Their buy-one-item-get-a-free-item coupons are addictive. Not until I admitted that some of the justifications I used to buy another tool, another gizmoz from HF in order to use the free coupons were quite flimsy that I realized I have a tool fetish. If HF has been around longer, I will need to buy a tool shed to store my tools ;-)

It's too bad that there is no group meeting like AA for tool addict like me. I was making a list of tools and parts to purchase for my plane. I already made an appointment with an A&P to add the Garmin GDL 39 3D to my avionic panel - to get ADS-B free weather information replacing the subscription-require XM-weather. My shopping list grew to include an panel USB port, a low-voltage indicator, another circuit breaker, more spare extra screws, washers, fasteners, oil filters etc. I then remember that we plan to relocate in a near future so I had to reluctantly cut back the quantities of my spare supplies! I will order 3 oil filters instead of 6!

I already clipped some HF coupons for free items last weekend. Oh well, I do need a new screw-and-bolt gauge, the old one is quite rusty. I also need few more pocket rulers both metric and standard (I like to have one in every room, basement, garage, office, hangar etc.). I need another pairs of pliers. The one in the kitchen drawer went AWOL Maybe my pliers walk away when I am not looking! Oh yes, another head lamp, one with few hundreds lumens will come in handly. It's only mid July and yet it has started to get dark early in the morning when I go to the river at 5:30am to row.

Oh, forgot to mention that my latest cool tool acquisition was a new cordless power drill, a Dewalt 18V. It came in few days ago. We had a Milwaukee one before and kept having to replace the rechargeable battery so we stopped using it. I hope that the Dewalt model will have a better battery.

Last edited by BellaDL; 07-17-2015 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement