Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,034,740 times

Advertisements

Kid swimming pool, set of giant legos, hardback book about going to preschool, two pair sneakers size kid 8, two baseball caps, two pair jeans and two pair suspenders, and two kid hiking poles and binoculars. At this rate I'll be broke before I know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 11:08 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,804,175 times
I have one Thai red pepper that gives us enough for the year. It's doing great this year. I use colanders to dry them out. I also caught a snippet of a news report about a study that showed spice is good for your health. Hot peppers were mentioned.

newenglandgirl, one of my online friends is a book editor and always comes up with great books for kids. Almost every time they are out of print, but I find ex-library copies on Amazon and I have been happy with the ones I've gotten. The grandkids and their parents are coming this week and I've got a book from a seller on Amazon coming for the g-kids. I hope it gets here in time.

I'm heading up to the attic later on to bring down some vintage castle Legos that our son played with.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-08-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 11:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,034,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I have one Thai red pepper that gives us enough for the year. It's doing great this year. I use colanders to dry them out. I also caught a snippet of a news report about a study that showed spice is good for your health. Hot peppers were mentioned.

newenglandgirl, one of my online friends is a book editor and always comes up with great books for kids. Almost every time they are out of print, but I find ex-library copies on Amazon and I have been happy with the ones I've gotten. The grandkids and their parents are coming this week and I've got a book from a seller on Amazon coming for the g-kids. I hope it gets here in time.

I'm heading up to the attic later on to bring down some vintage castle Legos that our son played with.
They know their alphabet and counting, have tons of picture books, stories like Frog & Toad and Dr. Seuss, etc. They love pop-up books. I only buy those that will grow with them for a few years. What are your favorites for 2 1/2-year-olds?

Old 08-08-2015, 01:08 PM

The Baby Lit series is great for that age.
http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A28315...bin%3ABaby+Lit
My grandson loved those and was learning his letters with them. It's colorful pictures and simple words and the storyline is covered in 10- 20 words or less. We have Jungle Book, Alice in Wonderland and Moby Dick.

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type is a good book for that age.

The one coming is called It's Raining Out... It's Sunny Out. It's a about a wise dad and a boy who is grumpy because it's raining all the time and everyone is complaining. The book is then flipped to the back where it is sunny all the time and people are complaining....... Kinda reminds me of the C-D Retirement forum.
I think the kids will like it, it's for 4-8 and the g-kids are 3 and 6.

A great place for wooden puzzles from Melissa and Doug is Tuesday Morning stores.

This stuff does add to the clutter but can be passed on later.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-08-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 02:26 PM

3,580 posts, read 4,532,596 times
I'm buying bathing suits on sale. Do I need them?
Oh no.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,813,657 times
I decided that since we're staying here until next spring my used Tupperware that the lids don't seal on are a goner. I bought a 28 piece set of Rubbermaid food storage containers for 13.95 shipped to my door. No more rubber bands holding down the lids.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 PM

I missed reading you are there until next spring. More time to downsize though.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:17 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,377,349 times
You're definitely moving into town?
My stash was increased by more spices - & I still can't find vanilla bean. May have to order that on-line. I'm still not used to living in a small town.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,359,746 times
A couple of weeks ago we found a cute outdoor 2 chair set + small table all painted a bright pastel blue. We both loved how the pieces looked and they are now sitting on our back porch along with a couple of reclining chairs (bright green). I decided that it was OK to have bright color out there, and seeing all the color makes me happy. Last fall we painted our back door blue. The house is green. So that gives you an idea of what I like.

So, today, I bought a couple of outdoor pillows, one for each chair, to make the metal chairs a bit more comfortable. I wanted lumbar pillows, but couldn't find. I found bright printed square pillows for outdoors, and they are just fine, I think.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:55 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,095,244 times
Interesting thread. I didn't notice anyone that seems to have a hobby business that is something you love to do, but can actually pay for itself and make a few bucks on the side, except one artist that sold a painting. I repair and sell "vintage" audio gear, but mainly 70s, 80s, and early 90s. I specialize in cassette decks, so I have a ton of them. Like 40, of which 90% are Nakamichi. And maybe 2000 cassettes. And 11 turntables and about 1000 records. I really enjoy restoring them and saving them from the landfill. The stuff I work on was built to last, not like the BPC that is out now. (Black plastic cr@£)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement