Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,946,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I decided that since we're staying here until next spring my used Tupperware that the lids don't seal on are a goner. I bought a 28 piece set of Rubbermaid food storage containers for 13.95 shipped to my door. No more rubber bands holding down the lids.
I still have some new 'plastic ware' in my pantry but decided to go for the Pyrex with lids instead. I love it! It doesn't stain like plastic and you have to wash it all anyway so... My mom used to call me the "plastic ware queen", I had so much of it! I still have a few in the freezer too but Pyrex works great for that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,805,670 times
I thought about the Pyrex ware, but it's so heavy the shipping would have killed it. Plus, I plan on leaving them here for the kids.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I missed reading you are there until next spring. More time to downsize though.
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to winter but it sure gives us time to get rid of more stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
You're definitely moving into town?
My stash was increased by more spices - & I still can't find vanilla bean. May have to order that on-line. I'm still not used to living in a small town.
Yep, meo, off to civilation we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
A couple of weeks ago we found a cute outdoor 2 chair set + small table all painted a bright pastel blue. We both loved how the pieces looked and they are now sitting on our back porch along with a couple of reclining chairs (bright green). I decided that it was OK to have bright color out there, and seeing all the color makes me happy. Last fall we painted our back door blue. The house is green. So that gives you an idea of what I like.

So, today, I bought a couple of outdoor pillows, one for each chair, to make the metal chairs a bit more comfortable. I wanted lumbar pillows, but couldn't find. I found bright printed square pillows for outdoors, and they are just fine, I think.
Sounds cheery! Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Interesting thread. I didn't notice anyone that seems to have a hobby business that is something you love to do, but can actually pay for itself and make a few bucks on the side, except one artist that sold a painting. I repair and sell "vintage" audio gear, but mainly 70s, 80s, and early 90s. I specialize in cassette decks, so I have a ton of them. Like 40, of which 90% are Nakamichi. And maybe 2000 cassettes. And 11 turntables and about 1000 records. I really enjoy restoring them and saving them from the landfill. The stuff I work on was built to last, not like the BPC that is out now. (Black plastic cr@£)
We've been selling vintage tractor parts for years.

Old audio gear is cool, I sold my 1980's stereo stuff for good money. The records sold well, too.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,946,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I thought about the Pyrex ware, but it's so heavy the shipping would have killed it. Plus, I plan on leaving them here for the kids.
I bought mine at Walmart...of course, lol...so no shipping. Although, speaking of shipping, I'm kind of mad at Walmart right now. I ordered some things for my house and over $35 in purchases was 'supposed to be' free shipping. When I checked my account I see they charged me over $62! I'm getting on the phone to find out why.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,321,344 times
I picked up 10 kitchen towels, all nicely color coordinated, at Costco yesterday. I am donating the older towels I have to the Goodwill. After 3 years, the old ones are looking ratty. I like the price of the new, 100% cotton towels from Costco. I like that I could buy them in one fell swoop.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Once again, it's time to start laying in supplies for winter. So got extras of toilet paper on sale and a coupon, liquor, cat food, soda.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:46 PM

720 posts, read 769,257 times
Artificial nails ---because I'm addicted to them and buy all colors and designs, oh and doggy poop bags - but i don't have a stash of them!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:07 PM

7,077 posts, read 6,357,275 times
It's supposed to be my no spend month but, from Greater Good I ordered 2 insulated grocery bags & a tee shirt that sponsors ASPCA. I did send them my regular donation this month ( which is budgeted) but loved the tee. Also bought another tee featuring yarn. I do a lot of crocheting & it fit how I am.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:55 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Ooooooh; I love no-spend months! Nothing more fun that freezer-diving...

Old 08-15-2015, 06:00 AM

meo, a fitting tribute to your cat, bravo! So sorry for your loss.

Today we go to the town wide garage sale for ebay items. Not intentionally adding to the hoard, although I couldn't resist another coffee grinder that was like new for a buck at last week's sale......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement