Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,534,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
I am retiring in five months. I'm 60, my husband is 70.

I've just had five days off from work and I have been bored out of my mind, my husband has driven me crazy with his ranting and raving while watching Fox news, never wanting to go anywhere or do anything.

All I can think of is, my God I will have to live with this person 24/7 and put up with this every flippin' day of my life.

Anyone have any tips, short of divorce (can't afford that he'd clean me out financially)?
If that's what he wants to do with his retirement, I guess that's his business, but it doesn't have to be yours. Do what makes you happy and fullfilled, it's your retirement not his. If I were you, I'd put him in rehab, Fox News is like a drug, they get that adrenaline perking then start to throw the "L" word around and then look for every opportunity to bash a democrat and mob mentality takes over. That can't be healthy. Then again, unplug the TV?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:56 PM

22,891 posts, read 6,451,943 times
We have been married 45 years, I guess you could say we are co-dependent dysfunctional...we spend most
of our time near each other and like it that way....

Old 07-06-2015, 02:23 PM

496 posts, read 554,129 times
"I guess I'm supposed to get a tight little perm, wear my sweatshirt with a sequined bear on it, stretch pants, make a casserole and watch Wheel of Fortune."

Actually you may be on to something, only not in the way you may think.

The tight little perm is for ladies whose hair has become thin and poor with age, while the sweatshirt and pants are the natural default for women whose figures no longer exist.

You, however, have the option of making yourself more attractive than ever, and using it to distract your husband with sex. He won't have as much use for the Fox-titutes, if you and he are making retired life interesting in other ways.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:26 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,750,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Good grief! This forum is fulla' drama queens.

The OP has had one short week in a new situation, and has found a common problem with newly retired people. Give her a chance to adjust to the new situation before you go shrieking about divorce, ferchrissake!
I posted a similar question several months ago, and I got sliced and diced into tiny bits with some pretty nasty language. One anonymous soul even harped on the fact that I must be a real witch because I italicized some words that I wished to emphasize. I abandoned that thread and never came back.

It's rather surprising how people assume the very worst, say the nastiest things, and then wonder why these otherwise-helpful threads die an early death.

Those of us on this forum are older adults, and we really should have calmed down at this point in life. If nothing else, we should have figured out the #1 life lesson: Stop and think and pause before you say something that's just going to hurt someone else's feelings.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,534,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Those of us on this forum are older adults, and we really should have calmed down at this point in life. If nothing else, we should have figured out the #1 life lesson: Stop and think and pause before you say something that's just going to hurt someone else's feelings.
Maybe too many of them are watching Fox News? Who's more cantankerous than Bill Orilley?

Old 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,478,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
I am retiring in five months. I'm 60, my husband is 70.

I've just had five days off from work and I have been bored out of my mind, my husband has driven me crazy with his ranting and raving while watching Fox news, never wanting to go anywhere or do anything.

All I can think of is, my God I will have to live with this person 24/7 and put up with this every flippin' day of my life.

Anyone have any tips, short of divorce (can't afford that he'd clean me out financially)?
Based on your husband's age, since he retired before you, he has probably already been doing what he's doing now for a number of years and is deeply set into a bad pattern that will be hard, if not impossible for him to break without some mental help, either counseling (with or without you), or possibly even some anti-depressants, if he is found to be depressed, which is quite possible.

Do you work for a company which has other locations to which you could transfer?
Could you afford to maintain a separate place there and only visit your older husband on weekends or even less often? Does he tell you he misses you when you are not around?

If you retire, and if he has no interest in doing anything with you, perhaps you could travel with a friend?

Given your situation, Why are you even considering retiring at 60 instead of waiting a few more years?

Old 07-06-2015, 04:26 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is it only since retiring that you discovered you don't like this man?
She never said she did not like the man!

It is different being married for a long time, both working, having 8-10 hours alone then suddenly spending 24/7 with each other!

You will work it out. I like my husband, been married 33 years. But we have different interests at time, and that is a good thing. We do things together and we do things separately. It all works out.

We are not at retirement yet, but I already know that we have different interests in some things, and that is okay. At the end of the day we are still married. It is okay that part of the time we do things separately (actually there are times I go on adventures without him and him without me, and that is okay).

The two of you will naturally work things out.

Divorce at this stage of the game, no way! Why make you life more complicated!

Enjoy, it will all work out!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,658,851 times
Time to find some hobbies! Check out some volunteering locations nearby. There's the Master Gardeners, historical societies, nursing homes, theaters (not movie theaters like Regal), animal shelters, etc. Plenty of places to give some of your time. Take up a hobby or 12 like scrapbooking, gardening, traveling, etc. Join a local MeetUp group or book club.

For years, myself and my husband worked from home. We were always together. Every few months we needed time apart. One of us usually took a weekend or short trip to visit friends or family. It did wonders for us.

Good luck on not killing eat other! Oh and it sounds like your husband is bored out of his mind. He needs to find something to do with his time besides watching Fox News all day. Any news channel all day will make a person looney!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,570,671 times
It would be nice if the OP would respond to everyone's (or anyone's) speculations.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:53 PM

149 posts, read 187,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I posted a similar question several months ago, and I got sliced and diced into tiny bits with some pretty nasty language. One anonymous soul even harped on the fact that I must be a real witch because I italicized some words that I wished to emphasize. I abandoned that thread and never came back.

It's rather surprising how people assume the very worst, say the nastiest things, and then wonder why these otherwise-helpful threads die an early death.

Hence my non-response so far. I am slim trim, long reddish blond hair, decent looking for 60. Sex? My husband had his prostate out in January so that can't be a diversion.

I'm thinking of a part-time job at Chico's or something. I just cannot imagine being at home all day with him doing nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement