Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:37 PM

384 posts, read 398,156 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of resto-modding my 67 Mustang fastback as my "retirement job." When that's completed, I'll be on the lookout for a 67 GTO.

We sold the sailboat years ago and replaced it with a motorhome and are now considering adding a couple of snowmobiles into the garage. Retirement is the 24/7 continuation of what you really want to do (and drive, sail, fly, etc).

Lou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 PM

197 posts, read 208,888 times
No.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:08 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
I'm hoping that a vehicle will be more important in retirement. Right now I just drive back and forth from work and do errands. Occasionally go out of town to visit relatives but most of my trips are by plane as these are business trips or would have to take too much time from work to drive. Once I retire, I want to do some road trips and see more of the West. Will probably get a Subaru Outback or a small SUV. I'm driving an 8 year old beemer which I love but it doesn't have enough clearance to drive on rough roads and I want 4WD. My niece, who is in college, is currently on a road trip from New Mexico up the coast of California to Oregon. I'm so envious!

Last edited by ABQ2015; 07-10-2015 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 02:11 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We still have 2 daily drivers, one restored vintage vehicle, one vintage motorcycle (DH's), one late model motorcycle (mine) and 2 vintage Honda trail bikes. So for us, yes. We belong to our village's vintage vehicle club. Membership in the club is over 100 couples. We also have a motorcycle club, sports car enthusiast club, and a Corvette Club in the village, so I would say for folks around here, yes cars are still important.
I'm just up the road in Twonsend

Old 07-10-2015, 02:28 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
I'm in the process of resto-modding my 67 Mustang fastback as my "retirement job." When that's completed, I'll be on the lookout for a 67 GTO.

We sold the sailboat years ago and replaced it with a motorhome and are now considering adding a couple of snowmobiles into the garage. Retirement is the 24/7 continuation of what you really want to do (and drive, sail, fly, etc).

Lou
Back in the day... a friend of mine held the Show Room Stock Sedan (not sure of the class BSS/A) 1/4 mile record with his 67 GTO. Er-um not "pure" show room stock but legal SS. He tricked the motor out with best RAM AIR IV parts over the years they were produced by Pontiac, all stock parts. 12.75 was his time but I don't remember the trap speed. The only mod you could do was street slicks = or < 8"

Old 07-10-2015, 03:50 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I'm hoping that a vehicle will be more important in retirement. Right now I just drive back and forth from work and do errands. Occasionally go out of town to visit relatives but most of my trips are by plane as these are business trips or would have to take too much time from work to drive. Once I retire, I want to do some road trips and see more of the West. Will probably get a Subaru Outback or a small SUV. I'm driving an 8 year old beemer which I love but it doesn't have enough clearance to drive on rough roads and I want 4WD. My niece, who is in college, is currently on a road trip from New Mexico up the coast of California to Oregon. I'm so envious!
I think you are on per-zackly the right track. And all the better yet if you're going to stay in Albuquerque. We love our 4X4 and get lots of use out of it.
Love that Subaru. Good choice, I think.

Our little joke:
Where are we?
Who cares!? We got 4 wheel drive and a full tank of gas!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Most of my friends are into cars and just about all are retired... some take their Model A's on trips of a 1,000 miles or more...

I do like the Ford Excursion for a tow vehicle... best one I have ever driven... solid, comfortable and plenty of power and motor braking...

My uncle raced and has owned Ford GT40 and Ford GT and small and big block Cobra's... still has one original left... it is a great hobby and can be profitable too.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'm not talking about your daily driver. You know ... the white bread of transportation. I'm talking auto and truck enthusiasts!
I still have the affliction. Like to go fast (on the track) and ride large in my Diesel truck. Spend way to much on my toys but I'm probably always gonna want something nice to drive. No more motorcycles for me.

My wife has a Toyota Highlander and she loves it.... me? I hate it. I drive a 02' Ford Excursion Diesel and love it. No it ain't quiet and it ain't plush but it can tow 11K and is a dream to drive for long trips. I enjoy working on it and making it unique. Attachment 153490

In addition I've started building a Cobra kit car. Keeps me off the streets and my hands and brain occupied. Gets me out from in front of the idiot box and off the couch in the man cave. This isn't mine but this is the goal. Attachment 153491

Probably not a girl thread but my wifey loves to ride large when we hit the road or take the boat somewhere.
She's gonna love tooling around town with the top down one day... and for those of you who love driving the winding and twisty roads in the mountains... this is the one.

At 62... Am I out of my mind or what? Let's see your rides! We can still be crazy!
I would imagine you have found some women are as interested in vehicles as you are.

I have an '09 Corolla which I like very much and hope to drive forever. But for me it is simply my transportation.

But, I do not think you are crazy at all. When I was reading your post I could "sense" the excitement you feel when you talk about it and no doubt feel more-so when working on it.

I say good for you!!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:12 PM

118 posts, read 86,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My last Vega the 350 went bad before I retired and I found a 400,
A big engine in a little car. Always a good idea!

Tu

Last edited by Tooluser; 07-10-2015 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Punctuation!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I keep a variety of wheels for retirement projects / fun

from econo-cars (GTD's... home converted 50mpg GTI's, available worldwide EXCEPT USA / CND)
to my Mack Semi truck

and about 30 cars / trucks / tractors / dozers filling in between.

I have quite a few vintage motorcycles that I raced in the 1970's that have become daily riders in retirement.

Annual oil changes are a bear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement