Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,860,278 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about your daily driver. You know ... the white bread of transportation. I'm talking auto and truck enthusiasts!
I still have the affliction. Like to go fast (on the track) and ride large in my Diesel truck. Spend way to much on my toys but I'm probably always gonna want something nice to drive. No more motorcycles for me.

My wife has a Toyota Highlander and she loves it.... me? I hate it. I drive a 02' Ford Excursion Diesel and love it. No it ain't quiet and it ain't plush but it can tow 11K and is a dream to drive for long trips. I enjoy working on it and making it unique. Cars and trucks.... are they still important in retirement?-excursion046.jpg

In addition I've started building a Cobra kit car. Keeps me off the streets and my hands and brain occupied. Gets me out from in front of the idiot box and off the couch in the man cave. This isn't mine but this is the goal. Cars and trucks.... are they still important in retirement?-695725_20816479_1967_shelby_cobra-replica-1-.jpg

Probably not a girl thread but my wifey loves to ride large when we hit the road or take the boat somewhere.
She's gonna love tooling around town with the top down one day... and for those of you who love driving the winding and twisty roads in the mountains... this is the one.

At 62... Am I out of my mind or what? Let's see your rides! We can still be crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 06:30 AM

30,626 posts, read 16,299,054 times
Mine is a 2004 Toyota Matrix, 159000 miles. I'm aiming to keep it until I can't drive any more.

To me, it's a form of transportation, as vehicles have always been.

To you and your wife, they're a form of enjoyment. Some folks travel, buy lots of clothes, or live in a bigger house than necessary. Almost everyone has some luxury/frivolity they indulge in.

As long as you can afford it, go for it.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,421,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'm not talking about your daily driver. You know ... the white bread of transportation. I'm talking auto and truck enthusiasts!
I still have the affliction. Like to go fast (on the track) and ride large in my Diesel truck. Spend way to much on my toys but I'm probably always gonna want something nice to drive. No more motorcycles for me.

My wife has a Toyota Highlander and she loves it.... me? I hate it. I drive a 02' Ford Excursion Diesel and love it. No it ain't quiet and it ain't plush but it can tow 11K and is a dream to drive for long trips. I enjoy working on it and making it unique. Attachment 153490

In addition I've started building a Cobra kit car. Keeps me off the streets and my hands and brain occupied. Gets me out from in front of the idiot box and off the couch in the man cave. This isn't mine but this is the goal. Attachment 153491

Probably not a girl thread but my wifey loves to ride large when we hit the road or take the boat somewhere.
She's gonna love tooling around town with the top down one day... and for those of you who love driving the winding and twisty roads in the mountains... this is the one.

At 62... Am I out of my mind or what? Let's see your rides! We can still be crazy!

Sold my Cobra replica I owned for 20 years with 13,000 track miles.
Then sold my enclosed trailer.
Then sold my PSD tow vehicle.
Now enjoy my Mustang GT Coyote that doesn't require constant maintenance like the 600 HP Cobra.

But 62 was a long time ago and I would not have changed anything.

Enjoy your hobby while you can.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:08 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,049,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
2014 Jaguar XJL (extra long sedan) for when I need to chauffer my elderly parents around town to medical appointments, restaurants, etc.

2005 Maserati Coupe' for when I don't.

My cars are identical to the ones in the below videos and both have the same color combinations:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpLSjaptTy0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7yYWDLXXI

Old 07-10-2015, 07:40 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,413,079 times
Interesting thread. With me it's the boat. I am 66 and have had a boat (sometimes boatS) since I was in my 30's. I have recently started wondering when I'll finally have to give up my fiberglass hole in the water -- not for several years I think!!!

Old 07-10-2015, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times
I'm in the market now for a 1968-72 Nova, small or large block, 4 speed. While I don't plan to retire for a few more years, I want to get it and spend whatever I have to on it to get it perfect while I have the money, so I can just enjoy driving it
when I have the time. I also expect to keep my '07 Ranger 4x4, as it only has 68k miles and only drive it about 5k/year. Hopefully more off-road time by then.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars and trucks.... are they still important in retirement?-offroad.jpg   Cars and trucks.... are they still important in retirement?-nova-72.jpg  

Old 07-10-2015, 08:07 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,941,509 times
We are into a different mode of fun transportation. I will try to keep and enjoy our 'magic carpet' as long as I can in my upcoming retirement.

Here is the video showing how much fun that one can have with a Glasair Sporstman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXf2D7qr5z8

We built ours in 2010 in 2 weeks. It was an incredible once in a lifetime experience. The longest trip we took was in 2013 flying it from NY to Puerto Rico & several Caribbean Islands (total 5,500nm and 55 flying hours). We are looking forward to doing more long cross country trips including flying/camping in Alaska when I retire.

Last edited by BellaDL; 07-10-2015 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Interesting thread. With me it's the boat. I am 66 and have had a boat (sometimes boatS) since I was in my 30's. I have recently started wondering when I'll finally have to give up my fiberglass hole in the water -- not for several years I think!!!
got me one of them too...

Old 07-10-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
We are into a different mode of fun transportation. I will try to keep and enjoy our 'magic carpet' as long as I can in my upcoming retirement.

Here is the video showing how much fun that one can have with a Glasair Sporstman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXf2D7qr5z8

We built ours in 2010 in 2 weeks. It was an incredible once in a lifetime experience. The longest trip we took was in 2013 flying it from NY to Puerto Rico & several Caribbean Islands (total 5,500nm and 55 flying hours). We are looking forward to doing more long cross country trips including flying/camping in Alaska when I retire.
Way cool!

My son has his A&P licence.... got me thinkin' I do love trips to the Bahama's and I live next to an airport community.

Now that would be a hoot!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:51 AM

8,370 posts, read 6,470,207 times
My last Vega the 350 went bad before I retired and I found a 400, had that built. While the engine was out I completely rebuilt the whole car. Worked and worked on it for 8 years before I got it going again. During this time I retired and during the last of those 8 years I really worked on it. Funny thing happened during this time I became older and started to think much more consearative
. The car had nearly a drag racing engine and when done I no longer wanted to drive such a radical car. After all that work and money I barely drove it before selling it. To this day the only time I wish I still had it is our once a year car show at the big church I go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement