Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 10:40 AM

34,956 posts, read 57,005,315 times

Advertisements

We have a split king adjustable bed and we love it. It is basically two twin sized bed pushed together with each having their own controls. We have individual fitted sheets on each side but one king flat sheet and one king comforter. It works well for us.

The only problem we had with the split is occasionally losing the remote or cordless phone in between but that does not happen often. We are not a touchy-feely cuddly type couple so there are not problems for us with the bed arrangement.

As I noted ours is a king so I am not sure how it would be with a queen. Since it is split and adjustable you may have a problem with having just one fitted sheet over both sides. I am not sure if they make fitted sheets for a split queen size. If you have one fitted sheet it may not work if one side is up while the other is down. I would think the sheet would come off. Ask the store about this before you buy. Jay
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
We have a adjustable bed with both raising head and foot plus message. Oh yell I like it. Has to whether it will work for you might depend what helps you and I am no expert.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,212,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

As I noted ours is a king so I am not sure how it would be with a queen. Since it is split and adjustable you may have a problem with having just one fitted sheet over both sides. I am not sure if they make fitted sheets for a split queen size. If you have one fitted sheet it may not work if one side is up while the other is down. I would think the sheet would come off. Ask the store about this before you buy. Jay
Oh, yes, the sheet would definitely come off if you had only one fitted sheet on a split bed. Even if you have individual fitted sheets on, they should be "deep pocket" style.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM

Plus those elastic attactments to fully secure sheets in our experience.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:35 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh, yes, the sheet would definitely come off if you had only one fitted sheet on a split bed. Even if you have individual fitted sheets on, they should be "deep pocket" style.
I think that twin bed sheets would be the size for the split queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Plus those elastic attactments to fully secure sheets in our experience.
What are those?

We haven't yet looked but we will go looking around this weekend. I don't know if we will buy right away but it does sound like we will be well served by the change to that bed.

One question I forgot to answer from an earlier post or at least I don't think I did. We are a loving couple. We hold hands in bed but we also sleep apart in the bed. I am a warm body and just the fact that my body is under the same blanket provides plenty of heat across the entire bed.

Without looking and making guesses I think it means we will get two types of sheets two sets of twins for the fitted lower and a queen for the top. Unless there are options I have not seen yet.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:07 PM

They are elastic straps that go from corner to corner under fitted sheets to stop creep. They are especially need at top which rises differently than bottom of mattress. It will stop even best fitted sheets from corner slowly coming off. Best thing for a hot sleeper over all the things cooling options they try to sell is a good quilt under bed sheets sheets. My wife quilts; so no problem. It depends on type of mattress if you use firm solid base or box spring type. Remember many of the mattress are 12-14 inches thick themselves. Some more traditional mattresses only allow head to be raised; not foot of bed.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:07 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,546,989 times
We have a king size adjustable bed made up of two separate twins. We love it. I have a remote for my mattress and my husband has one for his mattress. My husband can lay flat and sleep while I use the remote to adjust the bed to watch TV or read my book. Sometimes when my husband has stomach trouble, he sleeps with his head raised a bit and he's comfortable.

We use extra long twin sheets. I got them at Bed Bath and Beyond. We have our own sheets and our own blanket. We like to sleep separately yet we are still close to one another. We waited a long time for this bed and slept on a king sized regular mattress for far too long. This adjustable mattress with the cooling gel layer is perfect for us and we've never slept better.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 AM

It has been nearly 2 weeks since I posted this question up. I want to follow-up with what we have decided. We will eventually get a split adjustable but that is going to be post-poned for a time. We just had to put a new roof on the house and funds for that sort of purchase are a little short. Also both of us are so near retirement and the potential move from this home to a new one that we have not decided on yet that the purchase can wait to be added to when we move into our new home. That could be in about 5 years as we plan on doing a bunch of travel early on. So we are going to get wedges as was suggested by BellaDL. I have ordered them and they will arrive Friday. I will post how they work for us once we get to using them.

Just to remind folks, for me it is a lower back issue and when I started using a pillow under my knees a lot of my problems became less. My wife was keeping swolen feen even after resting in bed so she is using a pillow under her feet for elevation.

Thank you for all your help and especially to BellaDL.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:16 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,304,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post

Just to remind folks, for me it is a lower back issue and when I started using a pillow under my knees a lot of my problems became less. My wife was keeping swolen feen even after resting in bed so she is using a pillow under her feet for elevation.

Thank you for all your help and especially to BellaDL.
If an MD prescribes the bed wedges for a specific purpose, insurance may pay for them. In either case, they are a tax deductible medical expense.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If an MD prescribes the bed wedges for a specific purpose, insurance may pay for them. In either case, they are a tax deductible medical expense.

With the cost of 75 for the two of them I do not think we will reach the threshold of being able to deduct them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement