Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:40 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,935,675 times

Advertisements

I'd bet that the numbers he got came from the same Edmund's source. The 6K he gave is exactly what Edmund site gave me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 01:54 PM

7,050 posts, read 6,308,485 times
My 2010 Nissan Cube was reportedly $27k for five years. I bought it with cash for $11000+ which includes sales tax & licensing. I live in a small town 9-11 miles dependig on the store I go to & only shop twice a month due to gas expense. I've filled the car 5 times since October. Sure, I don't drive much, but still... my repair expense so far has been $400, $350 for replacing the windshield (got behind a semi the 2nd day I had it & the semi threw a rock into the windshield, grr) & $50 for a new connector on the exhaust. I pay approx $660 for insurance & just paid $98 for 2016 plate renewal. I have only driven 2,500 miles since I got the car so haven't had an oil change yet. I know I'm unusual in my useage. I do a lot of online shopping due to my back injury. My sister gave me a rolling cart so shopping is not such a burden but, when I can I shop online.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I just finished the class and heard something I have never thought of before. Apparently someone came up with yearly expense of cars, breaking it down by size, etc. Not included is cost of buying the car.

For a medium sedan it was estimated at over $8,000/per year. That being said, the instructor said compare that to what a taxi would cost for errands/shopping per year.

I've seen some here who are considering giving up their cars. Just thought this information may help some make a decision.
The cost of owning a car has nothing to do with driver safety. Are you sure that the purpose of the ''class'' isn't to discourage people from car ownership? The 'class'' may be a product of a group devoted to depriving the elderly of the freedom a car brings or it may be the product of a group opposed to the private ownership of cars.

Does my last statement seem to be the ravings of a senile old man? If anyone thinks so I suggest a visit to the Urban Planning forum. There is a large segment of these people who would allow no one to have a car. Cars give people of all ages freedom. That makes it much more difficult to control them.

Read about government schools, specifically their cloaking indoctrination under the guise of education. This is no different.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times
State excise tax alone on my 2014 SuV was $500 the first year, $450 the second, and so on down the line till it freezes in year 5. The insurance, when we had 3 male teens driving, was high. Annual inspections don't add up to much. It's the maintenance, repairs, and gas. Few seniors want to curtail their driving, so long awaiting total freedom, so the gas factor is high. We know several couples, well-to-do enough, who choose to share their vehicle with their spouses. But that does not cut down on gas, or on maintenance and repairs. On that one car, those costs become more.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:50 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,118,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The cost of owning a car has nothing to do with driver safety. Are you sure that the purpose of the ''class'' isn't to discourage people from car ownership? The 'class'' may be a product of a group devoted to depriving the elderly of the freedom a car brings or it may be the product of a group opposed to the private ownership of cars.

Does my last statement seem to be the ravings of a senile old man? If anyone thinks so I suggest a visit to the Urban Planning forum. There is a large segment of these people who would allow no one to have a car. Cars give people of all ages freedom. That makes it much more difficult to control them.

Read about government schools, specifically their cloaking indoctrination under the guise of education. This is no different.
This was an AARP sponsored safety driving class. The info he gave us on costs/year was not pertaining to safety. It was simply additional info for us (we in class are all seniors). We take them every 3 years for reduction on insurance and some benefit to points if we have any.

Sorry if that was confusing for you.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Quote:
I just finished the class and heard something I have never thought of before. Apparently someone came up with yearly expense of cars, breaking it down by size, etc. Not included is cost of buying the car.

For a medium sedan it was estimated at over $8,000/per year. That being said, the instructor said compare that to what a taxi would cost for errands/shopping per year.

I've seen some here who are considering giving up their cars. Just thought this information may help some make a decision.
Quote:
This was an AARP sponsored safety driving class. The info he gave us on costs/year was not pertaining to safety. It was simply additional info for us (we in class are all seniors). We take them every 3 years for reduction on insurance and some benefit to points if we have any.

Sorry if that was confusing for you.
I thought it might have been. They're very adept at preying on the unsophisticated.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:11 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,112,402 times
Quote:

This $8000/year figure must be based on a rapidly depreciating late model, and on paying someone else to do all the maintenance.

My main daily drivers cost me from $3000 to $1000 initial purchase, gas tires and oil expense of $.10 to $.25/mile, very little other maintenance/repair needed. I doubt I have $8000 in operating these 3 for the last 2 years.

"The Man" wants you to hate cars and give yours up. Same with guns.

I ain't havin' it!

Old 07-15-2015, 04:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
My wife and I are both retired, we both still have our own cars... We have talked about the future but no firm plans at the moment. Some threads which might be of interest:
Cars and trucks.... are they still important in retirement?
Going from 2 cars to a shared car
Cars....What would you do?
Comparing taxes on cars by state
Cars For Senior Citizens

Old 07-15-2015, 04:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Well, the guy was giving an average, right? In NY, it would probably cost more to own than in other places. But seniors are more variable in their habits that most people think. Some of us don't drive much, and others drive a lot. If you drive a lot, you pay more for fuel, and you will have repairs sooner. There are so many variables here that I am not sure you can make accurate generalizations.

In our case, we bought expensive tires for our older car, because we have decided to keep it for a longer time that we had originally thought. We live where we get a lot of rain, and I want good tires consequently. The cost of maintaining our car would be increased because of the cost of the new tires. I am not sure if most seniors would spring for the more expensive tires. If not, then costs would be less for them.

States charge variable rates for licensing. Gas is different prices in different states. In some places you pay a personal property tax for owning a car. Insurance is more expensive in different areas too. So, there are so many variables, I don't think an accurate figure can possibly be meaningful when applied to all seniors.

The only thing that is important, is what are MY expenses.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:51 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,118,232 times
Would anyone like to tell me how the title of my thread got changed?

No courtesy message to inform me?

People very quick to criticize me when they don't agree with something I post. Seems a little politeness with this thread would have been nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement