Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 AM

149 posts, read 188,857 times

Advertisements

I worked for them for a few months about ten years ago. I really enjoyed it. Worked in the home dept. Loved the smell of fresh lumbar when I walked in every morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
If you are in an expensive city I see where $2k or $5k could be a challenge. But to some people, $60k/yr is a LOT of money, maybe 2 to 3 times what they have/get/make.

WHILE he is ALIVE, why not, make some arrangements that will ensure EITHER ONE OF YOU will have an easier time of it, NOW? Rethink the house, OR get one that is smaller, easy to manage and in a cheaper area? Hoping to purchase a house may not be the same as having the ability to buy a house...can you pay cash for it? If not,why saddle yourself with a money hog {roof, other maintenance, etc}.
WHat about Senior housing? get on a list NOW.

OP: you have a tale of woe that doesn't seem to quit. Our retirement is NOT going to be fantastic and we are trying like mad to add to it, but cannot get ahead of late in these last 10 years. Our main hope may be the inheritance we MAY get form parents, but aren't counting on that.
We have 3 incomes now, and I am seeking a 4th {second job income}. I have worked 2 jobs all my working life, and have done my share of squandering {vacations, not saving much during my earlier years etc.} But I will just have to deal...

Oh, and OP,,,people who are NOT sick or disabled or who don't have fragile health just DON'T understand! SO forget trying to tell them about it.....I really wish some of these people would get real sick real fast and really struggle to get by being alive...It MIGHT just change their minds...I watched a vibrant healthy woman degenerate into a shell of a person who could no longer talk, long lost the ability to walk [at the ripe old age of 27}, and couldn't see anymore,had little control over bodily functions due to the dreaded disease of MS...my dear departed mother many years ago...rest her soul. MOH never heard what my mother ever sounded like, or what my mother ever thought of MOH, as MOH came along too late to hear her voice, and, oh, how i'd love to hear her again!

and You WILL have to SAVE some money as that trailer of yours, WILL need maintenance, or it will be worthless to you eventually!

ANd to those who think SSDI is a "handout",,,it is no more a "handout" than good old social security..how many of you will REFUSE to TAKE your Social Security if it is a govt "handout"?

Best of luck to you!
We will be living in Fort Worth, Texas. Not terribly expensive. We plan to buy a small house and either pay cash or pay it off in a couple of years. If this doesn't happen and I'm left a widow, I've check into income guidelines and requirements for subsidized housing, about 23k per year from what I gather. I have a small income from husband #2 but that will end when he passes, bringing my income down to about 1800 a month. I will be fine, as I am pretty resourceful and will work anywhere. I've flipped burgers, worked at Home Depot cutting window blinds, retail (GAP), cable CSR (Charter), cashier at the Fort Worth Rodeo, in addition to my "day job" with the Government.

And it pays to have simple tastes, inexpensive habits (I shop for 1/2 price tagged clothes at Goodwill) and can save money when I put mind to it. AND I stay healthy. Eat mainly a plant based diet, exercise five days a week. I guess my biggest luxury in retirement will be my membership to the YMCA - I'd do anything to keep that!

Old 07-22-2015, 10:40 AM

496 posts, read 555,240 times
In fact, SS is an entitlement, and those who receive it should be glad/proud that it is.

Entitlement may mean "handout" to some, but in the Federal budgeting arena, it has a specific meaning (this is from the Government Accounting Office, http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05734sp.pdf

Entitlement Authority
Authority to make payments (including loans and grants) for which budget authority is not provided in advance by appropriation acts to any person or government if, under the provisions of the law containing such authority, the U.S. government is legally required to make the payments to persons or governments that meet the requirements established by law (2 U.S.C. § 622(9)).

In layman's terms, "entitlement" is where the law requires the government to pay a benefit to someone, if that person qualifies for the benefit and applies for it. There are lots of legal budget entitlements; SS is only one. Military pensions are another example (and even though our military members did not pay into their pension funds, who among us would dare to call their pensions "handouts"?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
ASS is not an "entitlement" any more than your pension is an entitlement, if you are lucky enough to have one. Nor is it a handout. .

Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 AM

I have some work-based life ins on the hubs. He is a 2x cancer survivor and we wouldn't be able to obtain life insurance on him.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:47 AM

I wouldn't rule it out. Hubs is in great shape, works out (17 inch biceps!!) and takes pretty good care of me. I really, really hope I go first.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,274,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Obviously you made some bad decisions in life, and now are suffering the consequences of that lifestyle. I'm not sure what you expect from the folks on this forum. No doubt you heard plenty of warnings in your life that you ignored. The govt. will obviously support you, but don't expect to live in a lifestyle of luxury.

Try some temporary help agencies. They might employ you.
What do I expect? Nothing. A place where others who screwed up in younger years to vent about how stupid they were. Isn't that enough? Plus, if you had read the whole thread, you would see that the thread was not really my idea. Just picked up on someone else's idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
To the OP, stay strong and be thankful for what you have (which I know you are). But try applying for money that C-D offers here in the forums. That prize money could help supplement your income.

Are you guys saying that when applying for FSs, they could offer someone $10 a month? I could see a max of $50 per month but $10? That's ridiculous to me.
LOL, I enter every contest. I don't think "they" like me. Apparently I have never said anything worth noting. That's okay, I know I have helped a person or two and that makes me feel super!

Yup, $10 a month. BIG handout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
Wow you sound bitter. I will kill you.
Moderator cut: reply to personal attack

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-22-2015 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,574,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
And it pays to have simple tastes, inexpensive habits (I shop for 1/2 price tagged clothes at Goodwill) and can save money when I put mind to it. AND I stay healthy. Eat mainly a plant based diet, exercise five days a week. I guess my biggest luxury in retirement will be my membership to the YMCA - I'd do anything to keep that!
Are you familiar with the Silver Sneakers program? For people 65+ it covers YMCA fees at some locations. It's not income restricted.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 AM

2,555 posts, read 2,311,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Things have only gotten more brutal over time.

I have actually, reluctantly, belatedly, come to realize that my friends who I deemed boring monks, back when I was 22 years old, actually ended up better off than me. Oh well, I am of a culture, a place and a time. It is what it is.
Some of us who were laughed at in our 20's, etc. who sacrificed, etc. are finally reaping the benefits of being "boring monks."

On the other hand, you can pretty much find meaning in whatever circumstance you are in.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM

2,555 posts, read 2,311,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
but that story is false in the USA.

in the real world the ants might get sick, and then have to give every singe bit of corn, grain etc to the healthcare industry....

meanwhile in CA the ants would be absolutely fine because they have a government that does not allow the healthcare industry to grossly overcharge, and have affordable healthcare that works.

So USA ants, could end up with the grasshopper, after losing their home and monies due to the cost of healthcare co pays, and costs.
. CA ants doing fine, they had plenty of coverage and are able to stay in their home, contribute to the world and fell secure.
Sometimes this is true. People have misfortunes through no fault of their own. Probably more often, though, people are irresponsible and don't plan. I've got abut 50 relatives like that. They spent, spent, ddn't go to college, blah blah blah. Now, I'm retiring and they are jealous.

Their health is fine. They just chose to be the grasshopper.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:24 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,133,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Are you familiar with the Silver Sneakers program? For people 65+ it covers YMCA fees at some locations. It's not income restricted.

At one time Silver Sneakers was something offered by a particular health insurance. I had it last year when I was with BCBS. This year I switched to UHMedical and it's not free (extra fee besides premium). So that has to be taken into consideration. I have not yet heard this is something offered to everyone over 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement