Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:23 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,129,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Finding a doctor who works in natural remedies in this area will be next to impossible. My doctor waited until this had gone on since January & she was worried because it had gone on for so long. I do drink a smoothie made with Greek yogurt most days which adds good bacteria, but I also put fruit & kale in it.
Just a little suggestion for the smoothies. If you're adding new fruits or new vegetables only add one new thing at a time for a couple of weeks to see how your digestive system handles it.

When I started juicing, I went crazy with all kinds of fruits and veggies that I normally didn't eat. I ended up with diverticulitis, which I never had. I watched a show on juicing and smoothies and the Doc said to always only add one new fruit or veggie every couple of weeks because what I did was a major shock to my digestive system. My doc didn't tell me that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 05:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,023,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Finding a doctor who works in natural remedies in this area will be next to impossible. My doctor waited until this had gone on since January & she was worried because it had gone on for so long. I do drink a smoothie made with Greek yogurt most days which adds good bacteria, but I also put fruit & kale in it.
The raw fruit and kale could be the problem. Most doctors know next to nothing about diet re: certain illness. My sister is battling diverticulitis, no raw anything including salads for her. Or seeds/fruits with seeds.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:03 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,129,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The raw fruit and kale could be the problem. Most doctors know next to nothing about diet re: certain illness. My sister is battling diverticulitis, no raw anything including salads for her. Or seeds/fruits with seeds.
My sis battled it for the last 10 years following a strict diet and still was hospitalized almost 3 x a year because it got so bad. She just got surgery a month ago and she's like a kid in a candy store. She can eat everything now and wishes she had the surgery years ago.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,733,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That's the problem---due to the general population problem of drug-resistant bacteria, doctors simply quit prescribing antibiotics altogether, or don't prescribe enough. So, I either don't get anything, or such a small amount it only kills off the weaker germs so the stronger ones have more room to grow. Isn't that why they tell you to finish the full course of prescribed antibiotics, to knock out everything? Then, they don't give you enough to begin with I've found it easier to get Vicodin than antibiotics!

ENT's don't want to prescribe antibiotics, they want to talk you into expensive (ie profitable) cat scans, surgery, although they can't come up with a good reason, other than to line their pockets! I finally did find a good family practice doc who gave me a 30-day course of antibiotics, at a high dose, enough to knock the stuff out. He actually said my sporadic treatment with inadequate courses of antibiotics had probably contributed to my chronic infections. Ok, that was about a year ago, and it really did seem to work, except its coming back now, and, the doctor has retired. All I can find that takes new patients are kids barely out of medical school who practice "cookbook" medicine. I'm hoping to tough this out, rather than the doc-go-round again!

I'm finding its getting better. I'm using the netti pot (no gross descriptions, except that its productive), suphaded (that's restricted here in TX and I have to show my driver's license, probably put through by the ENT Union of America), lots of water with lemon, honey, tea, Vit C, ---maybe give my body a chance to take care of itself for a change!

totally untrue about the antibiotics prescriptions. You lack of knowledge is somewhat baffling.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 PM

33,039 posts, read 36,638,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Just a little suggestion for the smoothies. If you're adding new fruits or new vegetables only add one new thing at a time for a couple of weeks to see how your digestive system handles it.

When I started juicing, I went crazy with all kinds of fruits and veggies that I normally didn't eat. I ended up with diverticulitis, which I never had. I watched a show on juicing and smoothies and the Doc said to always only add one new fruit or veggie every couple of weeks because what I did was a major shock to my digestive system. My doc didn't tell me that.....
It's like introducing new foods to babies.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,113,989 times
My beloved Bohemian grandma, born in 1886, told me to rub spit on a mesquito bite and it would help.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:53 AM

7,074 posts, read 6,357,275 times
[i]Thanks to all. I did only add bananas at first, then I added strawberries & kale. Today I'm adding raspberries & spinach. Or maybe just the raspberries & do the spinach in a salad. I never thought of just adding one new thing.
But, this started in January & I only started doing smoothies when I moved in April. So I'm uncertain what started.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:09 PM

30 posts, read 23,102 times
Default If your back is hurting....

twice a day lay down on your stomach on the hard surface(floors are great). Slowly extend your arms in front up straight...close your eyes...relax and stay down for 15-20min. It worked for my aunts, uncles, mother and bunch of friends/neighbors.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:38 PM

Skybiz, I have serious back problems, which I'm trying to improve with physical therapy, so lying on the floor is a no go for me. I would probably never be able to get up again, lol.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:43 PM

Outside of calamine lotion, anyone have an idea of what to put on a wasp sting to stop the itch? The darn thing stung me almost a week ago & I put lavender oil on it, which helped with the pain, but the site still itches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement