Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

/All of the above is a clear physical pattern I've noticed over the last few years.

My psych explained why - your emotional pain centre is wired to trip off your physical pain centre when the emotional becomes too much. Literally, in the brain, they are side by side and linked together.

Now, I don't know if this applies to you, at all - all I'm saying is there are clearly defined psychological causes for SOME physical pain and/or discomfort and lack of energy.
That's interesting. I've noticed that extreme negative emotions are exhausting, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:53 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Biggest thing I've seen is a sedentary lifestyle.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
My dad is in his late 70's. He retired from his second career in 2002. After he retired he started completing projects on the home my parents had owned since 1965. After finishing that they looked around and thought about where they wanted to spend the remainder of their life. Also realized that their $13,000. home was worth a lot more than $13,000. They told all of us kids that they were thinking of selling the home and moving to a cheaper cost of living area. Since we had friends in Arizona my youngest brother pointed them that way. They wanted a craftsmen style home and happened to find a home that had all the bells and whistles that was in a builders inventory of unsold homes. After moving to a brand new, still being built neighborhood, they were able to get to know all the people moving in to the homes as they were built. Remembering how things were when they first bought their home in California back in 1965, they decided that they would start having neighborhood parties. When I was a kid we would have these fish fry's or BarBQ's and the neighborhood was invited. A lot of neighbors did them. As the years went by they kind of stopped having them. My parents wanted to recreate that in their new neighborhood.

It has been 12 years since they moved there and they are still having these neighborhood parties. They still have three or four original families living there and them along with other families are still close. My parents live in a regular single family home area. They have families of all ages in their area. My dad is the oldest guy on the street. My mom is probably the oldest lady on the street. They have taken a lot of people in, helped them do things, helped them with home projects. My dad has a shop in his garage. He spends most of his day making saw dust. He has made things for people in the neighborhood. Wood projects. My mom bakes. They have dropped off baked goods, gifts to people in their neighborhood.

Doing things keeps people young. My parents are very young. They are very active. They have a home gym and use it probably every day. My dad has published two books and is completing a third book. He is always writing when he is not building something. He is always adapting as well. My dad has over 10,000 songs downloaded on his device. He has a collection of vinyl records that is extensive. When we were kids he copied them on reel to reel. Then it was to cassettes. Then he put them on CD'd. Now they are on his device. He said to me years ago to embrace technology and new things or you will grow old.

Talking about projects. When my parents bought their perfect home, the one with all the upgrades, they went and upgraded it some more. My dad asked me about door hardware. I pushed him toward Baldwin door locks and handlesets. I told him to act quick because they were starting to make cheaper stuff. Baldwin used to be known for solid brass hardware. My dad was able to find, by driving to a half dozen Home Depots, all the hardware to replace all of his door locks, door knobs, ect with Baldwin sets. The builders locks that were on the home are standard residential door hardware. The Baldwin hardware will probably last the life of the house. They also made other improvements. The laundry room has all built in cabinets that my dad built. Since the builder was still building homes he was able to talk to the cabinet maker about the right cut for his router bits. His cabinets match the remainder of the home. Other people had asked the builder about getting the same cabinets in their home back when the neighborhood was new. LOL

You have to stay busy to stay young.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:10 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
What makes a man grow old?

Marriage to the wrong woman.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:03 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What makes a man grow old?

Marriage to the wrong woman.
That can be a problem. I am thinking that a guy needs to go in with both eyes wide open when choosing a future life companion. Then that guy needs to close his eyes half way and never look back. I don't see any one woman as the right person or the wrong person. We need to build a marriage so the other person becomes the right one. That just takes lots of years.

Saying that, finding a person, spending years getting to know that person and growing old together is one good way to stay very young.

I am reminded of a story I read years ago of this guy visiting a well known artist. He would always paint a young woman in his pictures even though he was now an old man himself. This guy noticed the young woman and asked about her. The artist asked if he wanted to meet the woman, his model for the painting that he was looking at. The man said yes. The artist mentioned that he was married to the young girl and he would be happy to introduce the man with his young wife. The artist called for his wife and a woman the same age as the artist entered the room. Introductions were made. and the man had a look on his face. The artist noticed this and mentioned to him, what you see is an old woman. What I see and can only see is the young woman I met years ago.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:10 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That can be a problem. I am thinking that a guy needs to go in with both eyes wide open when choosing a future life companion. Then that guy needs to close his eyes half way and never look back. I don't see any one woman as the right person or the wrong person. We need to build a marriage so the other person becomes the right one. That just takes lots of years.

Saying that, finding a person, spending years getting to know that person and growing old together is one good way to stay very young.

I am reminded of a story I read years ago of this guy visiting a well known artist. He would always paint a young woman in his pictures even though he was now an old man himself. This guy noticed the young woman and asked about her. The artist asked if he wanted to meet the woman, his model for the painting that he was looking at. The man said yes. The artist mentioned that he was married to the young girl and he would be happy to introduce the man with his young wife. The artist called for his wife and a woman the same age as the artist entered the room. Introductions were made. and the man had a look on his face. The artist noticed this and mentioned to him, what you see is an old woman. What I see and can only see is the young woman I met years ago.
Thank you for sharing this story. I had a hunch that was how it would turn out. That, to me, is true love.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:20 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sounds like you could be bored. Boredom can make you feel tired.

Try to get outside every day. I love the outdoors; it invigorates me. Find something you like to do outside - fishing, walking, waxing the car, gardening, whatever. Doesn't need to be strenuous. The sun, the wind, the smell of the earth, all of those things will make you feel more energized.

THEN you can come back inside, and watch TV to your heart's content!
I agree with this.

Boredom is a natural enemy. It's true that if one allows boredom to seep into the bones, a nap is soon around the corner. Boredom can lead to over-eating, too, which isn't beneficial to anyone's health.

I wake up just before it gets light in the morning, now it's later than it was in May, but I do it. I drink half a pail of coffee, then I head out down the street to dumpster dive! It's wonderful exercise, and I find all manner of things.

It almost feels like Christmas every morning, I swear it does. The dumpster I dive in belongs to a second hand 'charity' shop, and the treasures I've found in there.

I don't dive on Sunday and Monday mornings because I drink my beer on Saturdays and Sundays and I don't feel like it, but from Tuesday through until Saturday mornings, I'm always up and rarin' to go!

You wouldn't believe some of the things I have found and will continue to find.

"Life is like a box of chocolates." It's what you make of it.

DH works on his metal a lot during the day and I work on my graphics, etc.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Stress and anger, in no particular order.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:22 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
TV makes people grow old.
Yep, it's definitely up there. Not just for men, either.

I think my husband would watch TV (or keep it or a radio on in the background) a very large portion of the time if he didn't think I would object, and his once glorious naturally-muscled and lithe body is all the worse for it, and also because he no longer walks or exercises (tho' he keeps promising to do so).

For the moment, I don't say too much, because I bought him a flat screen TV, a 5.1 sound system, and a BluRay dvd player (he loves all of it), for his most recent birthday, so the quality is at least there so that I can also enjoy the much better system, but we better get out of the house soon or our brains will explode.

I have definitely got cabin fever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement