Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:01 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The only folks who see me every day are my poultry...and I've restricted their computer time!

But seriously, I think that it's boredom that makes people go to the same spots every day. They simply have nothing else to do. No excitement in life, no real interest in self-improvement, no thoughts of the future. But a big need for entertainment. What a sad way to live!
maybe the mall and Starbucks but going to the library every day-maybe they're doing research or pursuing a special interest. In winter I go there maybe 2 or 3 times a week. It's actually one of the luxuries I looked forward to while working. Not so much in summer but when the snow flies, it's a nice place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 08:02 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Contentment comes to people in different ways. Some people are content to people-watch and to go about their own routines without stress or harrassment. The OP seems happy with his/her daily activities. I would just suggest that he/she reach out once in a while and chat with folks they see every day. Could be interesting.

And as for resticting the computer time of poultry, shame on you N'E. You must realize they need the extra time since all the fowl can do is hunt and peck.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
The only folks who see me every day are my poultry...and I've restricted their computer time!

But seriously, I think that it's boredom that makes people go to the same spots every day. They simply have nothing else to do. No excitement in life, no real interest in self-improvement, no thoughts of the future. But a big need for entertainment. What a sad way to live!
I see it in an entirely different light. I think it's great that the Op sees people out and about every day instead of sitting at home in their recliners watching tv and leading sedentary and solitary lives. At least they are doing something. Many people thrive on their routines whereas others are free spirits. I think you have to know yourself and what works for you.

My DH and I had a dream of living within walking distance of a library when we retired and we we achieved it. We love a leisurely stroll to the library to get or return books, videos, cds, etc. Going to the library isn't all we do, but it's definitely something we really enjoy now that we have the time and proximity. I'd like to think we are improving our minds and bodies, but I guess that's debatable.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:

It could be they are on a fixed income or very satisfied with their neighborhood surroundings. They've seen the rest and feel most at home where they are. No need to catch a flight all the time to see places when they've been there and done that.

Going everyday or every other day, to the beach, a large botanical garden park, to play golf or tennis, a cafe to see like-minded friends (where everybody knows your name, not cheers!!!), community volunteering, or learning something new by checking out books at the library is a lot better than sitting at home or other things I can think retired people may do. All of these places will most likely have somebody new they can meet. It keeps you young.

Last edited by frankrj; 09-21-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 AM

26 posts, read 28,015 times
I have nothing against their actions, I am doing it myself. It's just an observation that many older people like routine and going to the same familiar places.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:34 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Hanging out at the mall, at Starbucks, at the library, and at the park sure beats staying at home watching TV. Personally, however, I would find those horizons too limited and a bit stultifying. I need more mental stimulation than that.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:40 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big thinker View Post
I have nothing against their actions, I am doing it myself. It's just an observation that many older people like routine and going to the same familiar places.
They might be meeting up with friends too.

My dad has a "coffee group" that meets on a schedule once or twice a week. Same place. Same time.

That way, everyone knows where to meet up and if they can make it then they do, no need to communicate a different location, time etc.

It's like a "standing date". <shrug>

Old 09-21-2015, 09:58 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They might be meeting up with friends too.

My dad has a "coffee group" that meets on a schedule once or twice a week. Same place. Same time.

That way, everyone knows where to meet up and if they can make it then they do, no need to communicate a different location, time etc.

It's like a "standing date". <shrug>
Every restaurant I ever worked in had their early morning 'regulars'. Where I work now has a McDonald's and, again, I see the 'regulars' meet for coffee every morning. I don't know what time they get there because I go in at 7 AM and they are already there. I always enjoyed hearing their conversations and some could get pretty 'heated'...politics, etc.. And the never ending 'war stories'. lol

If someone is seeing the same people day after day in the same places then I guess that means THEY are there too, right? And maybe people who see them every day wonder if they have a life outside of that place.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:09 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
When I was working I hung out at the same places day after day, week after week. So in retirement I tend to go to the
same places over and over again because I like going to them....be it my library, coffee shop or park. (not the same places that I frequented when I worked of course). I don't go to hang out; I go for a reason.....books or coffee or just some fresh air and a walk! Does it really matter? Folks do what they like. One eatery inside a Wal-Mart where I shop has the same group of folks meeting for coffee for years now. As soon as you come in the door you can see them. I say what-
ever pleases you do it! Some are just getting out of the house for a while. What's wrong with that?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
I'm 64 years old and on the cusp of retiring myself--I'm aiming for 2017, though that could change depending on the political climate (I work for a state institution and layoffs have become a reality here)

I once quipped to a friend of mine that if women of a certain age want to meet men just go and hang out at a Dunkin' Donuts around 9-10 AM

My 84 year old aunt is the primary caregiver of her 90 year old husband. My uncle's health has steadily declined, his short term memory is almost gone, and he has to use a walker 24/7. Besides doctors' appointments and outings with family, the high point of my uncle's week is having lunch at Burger King or McDonald's. While they don't exactly "socialize" (my uncle is extremely shy) my aunt/uncle interact with other seniors who seem to have a standard meeting time there. My aunt/uncle live in a small town and all the fast-food staff know them by their first names, and will often come up and chat while they're having lunch.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "different strokes for different folks." I agree that it's far better to hang out at one of these places than being glued to a TV set or a computer all day. Yes, many seniors like their routine--maybe even NEED their routine--so what's wrong with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement