Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,887,457 times

Advertisements

Oh good Lord how boring. I spend my day hiking, going fishing, driving the Jeep trails here. Exploring ghost towns, playing with my dogs. Starbucks? The mall? Even if we had those here I wouldn't waste my time in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 AM

8,354 posts, read 6,443,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big thinker View Post
It is easy when retired to get into a schedule. I don't want to sit around the house all day with the wife so I go out and bum around town during the afternoon. My favorite places are the huge regional shopping center and the seating area next to the food court, Starbucks, the library and a local park. The funny thing is I see the same retired folks hanging out at these places day after day after day.

Do you bum around town and see the same folks at the local places, like those listed above, as you travel around? What do you make of it?
Their keeping a close eye on the women.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,530,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big thinker View Post
It is easy when retired to get into a schedule. I don't want to sit around the house all day with the wife so I go out and bum around town during the afternoon. My favorite places are the huge regional shopping center and the seating area next to the food court, Starbucks, the library and a local park. The funny thing is I see the same retired folks hanging out at these places day after day after day.

Do you bum around town and see the same folks at the local places, like those listed above, as you travel around? What do you make of it?
Well, it sounds like you enjoy that routine, it's your retirement and you earned the right to do whatever you'd like. But, do all those retirees look happy? What do you see when you look in the mirror? You say it's easy to fall into a schedule, but is it a habit? A schedule implies it's something you plan to do, whereas a habit is just something you do everyday. Only you can answer those questions.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:57 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,682,270 times
I spend a lot of my time out and about photographing on the backroads of my local area, rivers, forests, valleys, all beckon to those who are willing to "wait for the light", that's to say I'm wating for those times when the clouds are sun-lit on their edges like they were dabbed with a bit of pure silver. On rainy days I like to go to the big city just a few miles to the south and go to one of the Northwest's biggest and best booksellers, grab a coffee and mosey around the many floors of new and used books, stopping to read while the rain pours and the wind howls just a few feet outside a window.

I see those who have developed a routine of getting together at the local coffee shops as a group possibly missing the early morning camaraderie they once had at work, and that's understandable because most think of the social aspects of work as something they DO miss when retired. My wife and I go to a few of the local watering holes periodically to enjoy a drink or two with other older people who come out in the afternoon to socialize, in wintertime Arizona this was a great way to meet people as most were transplants or snowbirds and therefore way more outgoing than they would have been when working.

Time, it's the essence of what retirement is supposed to be about. How one spends this time seems to be a subject of many debates, but when the dust clears most will agree on one thing, and that is the fact that having a "full life" means different things to each of us..

Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
I like Starbucks but I got strong hobbies don't retire without them or bum in the round fits

Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I see it in an entirely different light. I think it's great that the Op sees people out and about every day instead of sitting at home in their recliners watching tv and leading sedentary and solitary lives. At least they are doing something. Many people thrive on their routines whereas others are free spirits. I think you have to know yourself and what works for you.

My DH and I had a dream of living within walking distance of a library when we retired and we we achieved it. We love a leisurely stroll to the library to get or return books, videos, cds, etc. Going to the library isn't all we do, but it's definitely something we really enjoy now that we have the time and proximity. I'd like to think we are improving our minds and bodies, but I guess that's debatable.
I agree with you. I see seniors at the library in comfy chairs reading the papers and looking at books or on the computers. I had a group or two of oldsters at several libraries writing their memoirs, and reading aloud what they wrote. Several went on to make printed bound books.

In places with long winters, malls are the safest place to walk for a bit of exercise, preferably at a fast pace but even if slowly it's better than sitting in front of the tube. As far as the park goes, that sounds healthy to me...fresh air, sunshine, some walking, enjoying nature. Can't think of anything against that. My sisters and their friends generally waste time texting each other, watching daytime TV and puttering around their homes. OK to that, but imo the mall/library/park is a more vibrant place to hang out.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:11 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,118,964 times
One thing I have noticed on C-D that I feel is despicable are the people who feel it is perfectly OK to criticize/judge another person's post.

That person has not asked for their opinion. They are not asking for instruction as to how they could do it "better." And oftentimes the poster is giving an outline of what is going on and unless you have read the "whole" story, you have no idea what you are talking about.

It's a "my way or the highway" mentality. Those who find fault with others really need to take stock of themselves.

I am willing to bet that none of the offenders would ever recognize themselves here.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:13 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,667,198 times
My husband was a "regular" at a local restaurant, three or four times a day with the same group of friends.

"I once quipped to a friend of mine that if women of a certain age want to meet men just go and hang out at a Dunkin' Donuts around 9-10 AM "

Don't count on this. He once came home mortified because a female friend of mine came in and sat at their table.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,530,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
My husband was a "regular" at a local restaurant, three or four times a day with the same group of friends.

"I once quipped to a friend of mine that if women of a certain age want to meet men just go and hang out at a Dunkin' Donuts around 9-10 AM "

Don't count on this. He once came home mortified because a female friend of mine came in and sat at their table.

LOL- Is nothing sacred!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Oh good Lord how boring. I spend my day hiking, going fishing, driving the Jeep trails here. Exploring ghost towns, playing with my dogs. Starbucks? The mall? Even if we had those here I wouldn't waste my time in them.
Hiking? Jeep Trails? Fishing?? Booooooring. Playing with the dogs, though, is a fun thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement