Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

And as for resticting the computer time of poultry, shame on you N'E. You must realize they need the extra time since all the fowl can do is hunt and peck.
Priceless!!! +100! Need new keyboard!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big thinker View Post
I have nothing against their actions, I am doing it myself. It's just an observation that many older people like routine and going to the same familiar places.
Agreed. Honestly, I have had more drama and death marches during working life than I can countenance. Once I retire (after the Grand RV Tour) I am going to do everything I can to stay away from what others might call "excitement". Fact of the matter is, I've got lots of interesting stuff going on between my ears. What I'd be after is background noise if I'm not talking to somebody: and the pleasure of conversation if I am.

Fact of the matter is - I HAVE already "been there and done that". It was, and continues to be, exhausting. Despite having one heck of a lot of autonomy, the product development and release cycle is unrelenting is exhausting.

To be quite candid, I do not need to defend my choices now or in the future. Nor should anybody else.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Oh good Lord how boring. I spend my day hiking, going fishing, driving the Jeep trails here. Exploring ghost towns, playing with my dogs. Starbucks? The mall? Even if we had those here I wouldn't waste my time in them.
err...Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know this is not in any way a political thread, but I am in favor of raising the retirement age. I am retired, and I am bored to tears. I was forced out of my final full time job, due to a take over, and nobody in their right mind would hire a 64 year old for a FT job, so I am just filling time. I do not do leisure time well, and I don't appreciate looking at life from the outside in.
Do not even bother telling me to travel or pursue my other interests. I have always pursued my other interests anyway, and I can't afford to travel.
Err - how would raising the retirement age have prevented your layoff, righsizing, downsizing, whatever you want to call the circumstance of being kicked to the curb prematurely?

With due respect, I cannot afford to take FRA into account if my division is on the ropes and I need to make staffing decisions. I also cannot afford to play favorites.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I see the old men's walking club at the mall.

I think they're having fun cheaply.
As well: in some climates - such as South Florida's in the summer - a mall is the ONLY venue that is large enough for walking, while providing a climate-controlled environment. I see a lot of good sense in mall-walking in Florida during the hot season, and in mall-walking in Rochester, MN during the cold season.

Hence, if walking is part of one's fitness regimen in those locales, thank heavens there are malls to walk in!

Have not been to AZ, can't comment on mall-walking there other than from hearsay.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
When we lived out west I volunteered one day a week, which also provided some social interaction. We are still sorting out after having returned to FL.

As a non coffee drinker I would be an alien at Starbucks. I also hear that is an expensive habit.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
When I retire in ten years, I'll be doing the exact same thing every day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

I'll hop in my boat with my husband, spend the day on the water, come back to the house, walk to happy hour, come home and grill out, eat outside and watch tv in my outdoor living room in front of the fire by the pool, then go to bed.

Repeat.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big thinker View Post
It is easy when retired to get into a schedule. I don't want to sit around the house all day with the wife so I go out and bum around town during the afternoon. My favorite places are the huge regional shopping center and the seating area next to the food court, Starbucks, the library and a local park. The funny thing is I see the same retired folks hanging out at these places day after day after day.

Do you bum around town and see the same folks at the local places, like those listed above, as you travel around? What do you make of it?

Let me take the bait.

Yes, I head to the mall 2-3 times a week, especially during the summer months. Since I volunteer in the morning at one of the local charities, I miss out on my three mile morning walk. I mall walk for 60-90 miles so that I meet my five a day mile commitment that I made to my wife this year. I walk inside as the weather in Arizona during the day is 105F.

Yes, I do frequent Starbucks/Paradise Bakery/Panera, etc. Generally, it is a place that I spend an hour or two catching up on my e-mails and my other internet work. I do not see many older people there as it is adjacent to the University of Arizona. It is also a good place to talk to students.

Yep, I also hit the library 2-3 times a week. It is better to stop in there and read a good number of periodicals as opposed to purchasing my own subscriptions.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:19 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
It is just so fabulous to do what we want to do when we want to do it.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:43 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I can't wait until I retire and do whatever I want so other people can start threads to judge my choices...

Those places will likely not be my choices but I don't begrudge them to others.
And the point of this comment contributed to this thread how? Noboby started a thread to judge his choices or begrudged him his actions. Expressed their opinions that some of this actions were boring, a waste of time, or whatever, again, in their opinion. Whatever floats his boat, ie: to each his own, were comments. The OP asked for opinions about specifically that he goes to the same places repeatedly, and wondered if others did the same and saw the same. Why wouldn't he expect to see others in his same situation and frame of mind, in similar surroundings? His enjoyment of what he does was not part of the question. The ones that only offered their opinions of what they would rather do did not answer his question, most likely because they were wondering what his question really was. So they posted their reaction and alternatives. AK76 answered his question perfectly.

But immediately if everyone doesn't say how wonderful and agreeable his actions are, the disagreers are judged despicable or loftier. Really? Rather than stir the pot, perhaps you should start a mutual admiration society thread so that everything said is always applauded and no one has feelings ruffled. Geez! I've only been on this forum a few months, and am not retired, and have enough general knowledge to know some retirees have limited means or transportation, live places where weather, age, safety etc make walking in a mall a very safe activity. None of that, again, had anything to do with the question. The OP never indicated age, location, or financial wherewithal, or anything about walking. His exact term was bumming around. If thats what he wants to do, fine.

There are more than just a few threads about getting more out of your retirement, and doing more with the last stages of life, that contribute to a longer happier healtheir outlook, vs boredom & routine. The OP stated he didn't just want to lie around he house all day, so he goes out. Is he 52, 62 or 92? Each age would garner a different response from people for the exact same action.

If the OP was in any way offended, especially as a relatively new forum member, don't take anything posted personally that is posted here or any public forum. The majority of posts are just sounding boards of opinion, meant to be taken as suggestions to aid and provoke thoughts,

Except the snarky ones. They just irritate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement