Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 04:03 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Having an LTC policy won't help much in that case, since normal maximum lifetime payout is 250-500K.
True but it does do better then nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
all you need is just enough time to meet the states requirements for shifting assets if that is your goal .

Old 10-14-2015, 04:12 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I did not spend the time to search for a more recent research paper on LTC need but have read several articles in the last several years which show similar facts as this 2012 article

Forbes Welcome

We are not very wealthy but don't plan to preserve our assets for our daughter. I am just a 'number crunching' soon to be ex-engineer and not a gambler. My statistical and probability analysis convinced me that we will be fine without LTC insurance.
where you live will be a big factor . here in nyc you are talking about 80k a year generated off 2 million .

i know it would be impossible not to impoverish my wife all to quickly if i had to go in to a home at 400-500 a day here .

even living on 80k before taxes here would be a challenge without moving to a crappy area and that is without trying to pay 400-500 a day .

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
On a related note, what is a typical premium for long term care insurance? I know premium varies with the coverage but just wanting an idea what people are paying and what kind of coverage they have.
I'm sure this all varies wildly but I have two policies. One I bought when I was about 30 (parents were both in NH at $$$ so I went for it) and that policy was and is cheap ($210/yr) but it was through a church related insurer and doesn't cover home health. Many years later at about 50 I got a 2nd policy that would cover home health costs and NH. That one runs about $90/month. Both have options to increase daily coverage at some extra cost, which I have done but I suspect the coverage would still fall short. I also suspect that at my age now (67) I would be very hard pressed to afford a new policy. Premiums go up on certain birthday thresholds...cheaper before turning 50, etc. My insurance rep. was born the exact same day I was so he kept me in mind when the dates came close.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:54 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
About the only thing of real value learned at business school was that "You either eat well or sleep well." This thread brings that quote to mind.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:02 PM

218 posts, read 175,016 times
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time.
—F. Scott Fitzgerald

The purchase of LTCi is not an easy decision. I believe that it requires the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time. That is, the advantages and disadvantages of LTCi as well as the advantages and disadvantages of self insurance. It is a quantitative and psychological decision. The difficulty of the decision is evidenced by all the emotion in this thread.

My statistical information post was an attempt to contribute something useful to the debate. I was not trying to annoy those of you who bought LTCi.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:56 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Having an LTC policy won't help much in that case, since normal maximum lifetime payout is 250-500K.
It depends. I purchased $219,000 max when I was 54 years old. I just ran the numbers. If I keep the policy, when I am 84 years old the policy will pay out a max of $946,505,38. There are no guarantees in life, but I'm hoping that will cover most of the costs.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHillers View Post
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time.
—F. Scott Fitzgerald

The purchase of LTCi is not an easy decision. I believe that it requires the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time. That is, the advantages and disadvantages of LTCi as well as the advantages and disadvantages of self insurance. It is a quantitative and psychological decision. The difficulty of the decision is evidenced by all the emotion in this thread.

My statistical information post was an attempt to contribute something useful to the debate. I was not trying to annoy those of you who bought LTCi.
I'm not annoyed. If I had the financial resources to self insure, I would not have bought the policy.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the point is as slight as the chance statistically good planning assumes certain catastrophic events happen to you .

that is how all risk mitigation works .

why else protect ourselves with life insurance at young ages , fire insurance or even plan our retirement not only until age 90-95 but around worst case scenario's such as the 4% safe withdrawal rate does .

odds are so slim of needing any of the above .

the answer is that we all have to plan as if it is us on the other side of the statistic or else face the devastation if you are wrong and unprepared .

there are certain in things in life that are just not going to be dependent on the odds . think of a coin toss . . it does not matter how many heads you threw in the past , you could have thrown 80 heads and 20 tails in 100 tosses but . when you flip that coin the odds of getting heads or tails are still 50/50 and just as great going forward
My grandmother was in a nursing home for 8 years. And she needed to be there.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:28 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
1) Someone asked about quotes...
Where the heck are people getting policies at 90 a month? (just kidding)
I hope other will post some RECENT quotes,
At age 54, in 2014 I was quoted: (no health issues, in MD, DC metro)

AGE....POLICY MAX.....Max Monthly Benefit*..... Inflat Prot.....CASH Benefit.....Monthly Premium
53........160,600.........3,300................... .......3%................partial.............$211. 71
53........139,200.........2,900................... .......CPI...............none................$200. 10
53........123,744.........2,578................... .......3%...............partial..............$200. 03
54........219,000.........150 A DAY*..................3%...............none....... .........$202.45

If my math is correct those four options -- each -- work out to about $110, $87, $85 and $150 a day.
All Four year policies, I do forget how long a waiting period I requested....90 days, likely.

HYBRIDS: life insurance with conversion options for LTC
AGE......POLICY MAX ....MAX Monthly Benefit........Monthly Premium
54........250,000.............$5,000.............. ..........$250.50
54........250,000.............$4,920.............. ..........$236.00

2) I won’t comment on myself but I will say that the more assets a person has the long they can private pay. IF a person is single and has assets there are ways to both private pay and do estate planning. Cash assets, pension, investments, proceeds from a home sale, etc....a person could very well have enough assets to pay for 4 or 5 years of care, depending on the cost and kind of care needed, obviously.

I’ve already said...if my money runs out after that time so be it. If I only get two or three year’s care before Medicaid then that’s all I get. I'll go on Medicaid. What’s the problem with that? Is that not "a plan?" The average nursing home stay isnt' that long anyway.

3) THAT said. I do have an acquaintance who at 67 went from being a bon vivant, traveling and eating out and living a carefree life....to a paraplegic in one freak fall in her own apartment.

She’s sold her home (not the apartment, she had a family home that she owned) , and is spending down her 401K, and investments. She will likely have to go on Medicaid at some point, not today but eventually....Because she is NOT terminally ill...”just” almost completely paralyzed, she will out live her money. She WISHES she had just died.

I agree a LTCI policy is better than nothing. But in most cases all it does is stretch out the assets one does have. Instead of paying the entire 300 a day, the LTCI pays 150 (or whatever amount) you only have to pay 150 a day. That obviously makes your own money last twice as long.

I will revisit the issue, but I want to see what quotes for a ONE year cadillac policy look like. THAT I might be willing to pay for. I want a premium below 100 a month. And event then you have to read the fine print on future increases.

I think this is a great conversation we're having. I'm not annoyed at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement