Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So you sold your house and moved to a condo. Regrets?
Very happy and have not missed the house 33 64.71%
Hate it but getting used to it. 3 5.88%
If i could do over I would have chosen differently. 9 17.65%
Happy with condo but location sucks. 0 0%
Not enough space and I cannot organize all our stuff 1 1.96%
Condo association problems make my unhappy. 7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
What does everyone think is a reasonable monthly fee to pay. With my home I pay for lawn care cutting and fertilizer, garbage pickup. Plus some have a gym and pool.

Depends in a HOA it is much lower as opposed to a condo.

In a condo our biggest expense is Insurance. Plus we have the CPA and legal fees. Folks mistake landscaping and stuff as what maint is for. It is actually a small part of the budget.

Also it depends even in a condo what is included. One condo near me charges $675 a month maint for a two bedroom. Sounds high. But is actually very cheap. It includes Heat, Gas, Hot water in maint, snow removal, landscaping and has a pool, club house, tennis court and gym and they take care of roof and balconies.

Another nearby condo charges $475 and you pay our own heat, gas, hot water and has zero amenities.

And some condos charge as little as $175. But many have no reserve funds and not keeping up on maint to keep fees that cheap.

On average 40-50 cents a square foot in a condo is fairly average in a nice condo with some amenities.

HOAs have lesser fees of course and Coops higher fees as they include the RE taxes in the maint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 12:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I have a fabulous condo in Fort Lauderdale just off Las Olas within walking distance to some of South Florida's best shopping, attractions, and dining. I'm also a short walk to the beach.

My view is of a beautiful, lush, tropical courtyard and pool. It's also of downtown Fort Lauderdale.

My outdoor space is a large, screened in lanai with a sofa, tv, lamps, fan that is wonderful 12 months a year.

My husband and I sold a 3500 square foot home and moved into one condo before this one, then an apartment when we moved to Sarasota.

I'll never go back to a SFH.

Good luck with your choice!!

Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
What does everyone think is a reasonable monthly fee to pay. With my home I pay for lawn care cutting and fertilizer, garbage pickup. Plus some have a gym and pool.
My monthly maintenance fee is just under $400, and I consider that reasonable. Residents who own larger units pay a larger amount of maintenance, but I don't know how much.

The fee includes water and trash removal, in addition to the usual things those fees cover. We have a concierge staff, a maintenance staff, a licensed professional association manager, a swimming pool, gym, parking garage, elevators ... Everything is very well maintained, in fact today they're replacing the carpets in the elevators.

Because we're in an urban neighborhood, there aren't "grounds" that must be maintained.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
. . .
A condo is not a type of building, it is a type of ownership.
^^^^^^^This.

A condo can be a SFH, a townhouse, or an apartment-style. I understand that most people who say "condo" are referring to the apartment-style dwellings.

But where that gets confusing is to say something like you'd never buy a condo but would hold out for a SFH. A SFH, especially if it's newly-built, is most likely these day to be under an HOA, just like townhomes and apartment-style condos are - namely, a condo.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:07 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Is there a none of the above? I dont hate condos. They have a use. I dont even mind HOA fees. They provide services that must be paid for above and beyond putting the building in place.
None of the above what? the poll was to ask if people have regrets selling their SFH and moved into a condo, townhouse etc. and if they missed it. majority are very happy and never missed it! that is very good news for me.
in my case every time i go look at condos or townhouse or any of those arrangements it depresses me. they just do not seem to have a personality. the ones that are very nice and i can see living there are more than the price of our house, and fees on top of it.
nothing about hating condos

Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Oh, that's not good. Instead of arguing with my husband if we need to fix something, or not, for how much and who will do it, getting estimates, waiting for him to come an finish the job without mistake, I now have deal with 20 or more people?
No, the statement you replied to is misleading. The general rule is you own everything from the walls in and can do what you please to the inside of your unit; you are actually responsible for repairs and maintenance.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm astonished at how few posters mentioned noise problems, since they are apparently the number 1 complaint of condo owners. I would HATE living in a condo unless it was absolutely, 100% soundproof as far as the neighbors were concerned (e.g., if my next-door neighbor is blasting his stereo, I don't hear it AT ALL). Not much chance of that, alas.
How is it any different than your next door neighbor opening their windows and cranking their stereo up? If I leave my kitchen door open, I can hear my next door neighbor's tv in my kitchen. Hasn't killed me yet!

Old 10-15-2015, 11:44 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How is it any different than your next door neighbor opening their windows and cranking their stereo up? If I leave my kitchen door open, I can hear my next door neighbor's tv in my kitchen. Hasn't killed me yet!
Um, because the specific noise problem of hearing someone's music is much more likely in shared living spaces, like apartments and condos, because of shared walls (you can close windows and doors all you want, but it's the shared walls that are typically the problem as you don't have much control over them!). I never want to live in an apartment again so would never want to live in a condo unless it were 100% soundproof. (Sound like some might come close to that or even meet it -- I would consider those, if I could find one!)

Sounds like your house is REALLY close to your neighbor's (mine isn't -- in three and a half years in my current house, I have never once heard music, TV, etc. from any neighbor's house) and/or you have a high tolerance for neighbor noise (I don't).

Old 10-16-2015, 05:47 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,526 times
We live in a detached condo(3 bedroom, 2 bath) and love it. For myself, I would not care for shared walls. I do not like hearing other peoples' noise. Ours is in a lovely wooded area, only 38 units. When people visit they say it feels like a resort where we live. It feels remote, but, we are less than 2 miles from shopping and our doctors' office. I feel like we've hit the lottery. We've owned it for over a year now. There is no renting allowed where we live.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
We live in a detached condo(3 bedroom, 2 bath) and love it. For myself, I would not care for shared walls. I do not like hearing other peoples' noise. Ours is in a lovely wooded area, only 38 units. When people visit they say it feels like a resort where we live. It feels remote, but, we are less than 2 miles from shopping and our doctors' office. I feel like we've hit the lottery. We've owned it for over a year now. There is no renting allowed where we live.

how do you enforce no renting in a smaller complex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement