Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM

31 posts, read 62,456 times

Advertisements

My move is still a while off but I'm wondering for those who have already made the leap if you are sorry you sold/gave away all your household furnishings and goods? Or did you ship everything in a container and after the fact did you wish you hadn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 PM

521 posts, read 733,693 times
Yep. Wish we would have shipped our things instead of selling. We moved from a 3 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom house so it would have made sense to keep our things. We thought we would just use the $ we got from selling everything to buy new things and save the shipping fee. Big mistake!
It is extremely difficult to find quality furniture on the island. And things are very expensive even on Craigslist. I'm always amazed at what people are asking for furniture that looks like I would see it for free in San Diego. We really liked our furniture too and it was good quality. Now we have spent more $ than we sold our things for and not to mention the hours on Craigslist looking for things, driving around to see them, having to rent the Home Depot truck to move things. It's been a huge hassel. It would have been way better to spend the money and get everything done at one time, and to have the furniture we actually liked.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
If you walk into your house, condo, or apartment - and like what you see or take joy in your belongings, ship it. Why would you even try to sell it?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 PM

59 posts, read 146,202 times
Seems like every situation is different. One family moves from a 3-bed on the West Coast, while a retired couple moves from a large house on the East Coast to a 2 bed condo. What makes sense for the first family (i.e., shipping instead of selling) does not make sense for the retired couple (old, heavy, East Coast furniture does not work well in Paradise). You have to evaluate what you have versus what you'll need. That evaluation will help you to decide whether to ship or sell.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 PM

24 posts, read 54,173 times
Consider that a 20' container shipped from Long Beach is about $5,000, and a 40' container is about $6,700. So ask yourself are you better off using that $5,000-$6,700, plus money from selling off whatever you have, and just starting fresh and buying new stuff at Costco, etc. Or you could Craigslist hunt but that is a pain in the arse and probably very frustrating, unless you happen to come across the family moving back to the Mainland and is selling everything.

You may decide that spending $5,000-$6,700 just to ship your old beaten down crap (lol) isn't worth it after all.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
and just starting fresh and buying new stuff at Costco.
Now that's funny.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Somebody was asking why there are so many garages full of crap in Hawai'i? I believe it's because, on average, people ship too much crap to Hawai'i, then they really don't know what to do with it all when they find that on average Hawaiian houses and apartments are smaller, rooms are smaller, and that honestly, they just really don't need all that stuff.

Of course, people are different, and not everybody enjoys prowling yard sales and thrift shops for bargains, and some have an expensive piece or two from Elder Allen that they just don't want to part with because there's nothing comparable for sale in the islands, or their grandmother left them a trundle bed that crossed the prairie, or whatever. So if you really like something, and are willing to pay the high cost of moving it to Hawai'i, go ahead, with all the usual caveats about size, and effects of humidity and so on.

But don't miss the chance to declutter your life, either. If you haven't worn it, or used it, or seen it for a year, do you really need it? Probably not. Look and see if you aren't still hanging on to things that are no longer meaningful. And don't miss the chance to create a fresh start for yourself, no matter what your age, by getting rid of memories you don't really need to be toting around with you.

Bring the good stuff, leave the rest behind.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Somebody was asking why there are so many garages full of crap in Hawai'i? I believe it's because, on average, people ship too much crap to Hawai'i, then they really don't know what to do with it all when they find that on average Hawaiian houses and apartments are smaller, rooms are smaller, and that honestly, they just really don't need all that stuff.
Now that is super funny - I've yet to ever see a transplant throw what most would agree is junk in a carport. Local, Local, Local, Local.

And if living an apartment - breaking news - you don't have a place to put that junk in a garage space. They don't allow that.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 AM

24 posts, read 54,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Now that's funny.
{in my Joe Pesci voice} Funny how...I'm funny to you...You think I'm funny?!

Actually, I've found the furnishings at Costco to be quite decent, and considering Ethan Allen, Thomasville, etc. haven't opened up a Kauai location yet, I'm not sure where else you would go. As far as I know the Macy's on the Island doesn't have a Macy's Home Store either.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Now that is super funny -
Thanks. My tongue-in-cheek jokes go over people's heads sometimes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: