Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,249,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
To each his own, maybe this is the OP's idea of how a 'real woman' looks
Why is it one extreme of another? Ever hear of shoulder length hair? Bobs? Page boys?

Also, these crew cut women with thinning hair make their hair all the more transparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 PM

31,691 posts, read 41,128,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Yes, that ultra-butch look that women with short hair have is terrible! So uncouth!

http://www.shalomlife.com/img/2015/0...522_wmain_.jpg

http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content...len-mirren.jpg

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress...0823104736.jpg

https://vickielester.files.wordpress...hapsody_01.jpg
http://www.nndb.com/people/018/000023946/meg-ryan.jpg

For those who can't be bothered clicking through, it's some of the women who've been rocking their short hair since the 1920's, including dames Helen and Judi, and a couple of Lizzies, only one of whom is the Queen.
Bada Bing!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 PM

7,072 posts, read 6,347,110 times
I tried letting my hair grow but what used to be a mass of curls has now become thinning hair & I looked ridiculous. So I now keep it short. Sigh, I sure miss my curls.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:04 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,393,005 times
Well, if we have lean well-shaped faces we can let ourselves cut the hair really really short to show off the well-sculpted head. Majority of us, though, are less lucky and have a lot of sagging skin, shapeless ears, thick ugly turtlish necks etc. Se we opt out for more high-maintenance hairdos to mask the traces of aging.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:06 PM

31,691 posts, read 41,128,465 times
Men potentially have it a lot easier.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:17 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,029,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
I'd be really interested to see how you've aged. I'm betting you don't wear the same hair style you did in your youth (or even have hair) - in my experience men REALLY let themselves go as they age.

You're making a key wrong assumption - most women as they age take care of themselves but not to impress judgemental internet posters, they do it for themselves. (PS there are no "mens haircuts", its 2015 for goodness sake - your antiquated gender notions are more unattractive than short hair).

Old 10-20-2015, 09:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,960,398 times
I always find it interesting that people think they know you, when they've never met you or seen you? Actually, I have exactly the same hairstyle I had 40 years ago. My hair has thinned, but I still have a full head. My weight is also the same as it was 40 years ago. And of course I keep myself up. I'm in a leadership position and try to set a good example, clean shaved, clean clothes, nothing worn, but not expensive either. So see, some of you are all wrong.

And if you read my OP, you'd see I wasn't condemning anyone. I was just wondering, why some people change their look so significantly at some point when they get old. I've never seen this with men, but some women yes. I just find it interesting and wondered outloud, Why?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,029,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I always find it interesting that people think they know you, when they've never met you or seen you? Actually, I have exactly the same hairstyle I had 40 years ago. My hair has thinned, but I still have a full head. My weight is also the same as it was 40 years ago. And of course I keep myself up. I'm in a leadership position and try to set a good example, clean shaved, clean clothes, nothing worn, but not expensive either. So see, some of you are all wrong.

And if you read my OP, you'd see I wasn't condemning anyone. I was just wondering, why some people change their look so significantly at some point when they get old. I've never seen this with men, but some women yes. I just find it interesting and wondered outloud, Why?
Not "all wrong". Your question is still sexist and judgmental with little insight into women. Frankly many individuals change their look as they age.

I'd argue it's stranger to "set a good example" by holding on to the exact same look for 40 years. In your "leadership" role, surely you see value in innovation and evolution.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:52 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,461,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For some of us longer hair does not work any more. I grew my formerly thick hair out about 7 years ago. I look at pics now and realize I must have been delusional. It was hard to keep and it was quite limp. Often hair changes as we grow old. I realize that not every one has this experience, but I've seen plenty of women my age with my same thinner, limp hair.

I don't have really short hair, but if I tried to grow it out by much more than I have it now, I'd lose my mind trying to get it to look like I would want it to.

As to similar outfits, have you ever tried to find clothes to fit a older, larger body? There isn't a lot out there. I see so many older women in similar loose knit tops, because for them that's all they can find in their size range and price point.

I doubt that the women you saw were trying to emulate each other.

Alas, I, too, have taken up the "old lady" uniform. Stretch pants, elastic waist, and loose knit tops. Why? Because, as we get older, our wasts disappears. We become "tube shaped". If I get something with a defined waist, such as skirt or pants, its has to be big enough to fit my waist and fasten. Then, its a mile too big elsewhere, like around my legs. I feel my pants are literally flapping in the breeze! Of course, elastic waist pants don't leave you with many options for tops. You can't wear a blouse, it has nothing to tuck into.You end up wearing a loose-fitting top that goes over the waistline.

We aren't trying to emulate each other. We all reach a certain point where, in the process of aging, our options are limited. Believe me, we didn't wake up one day and decide we all want to look like old ladies!

Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,497,083 times
I don't think there's anything to "get" for the reasons of why person "A" changes/likes style "ABC" yet person "B" changes/likes style "XYZ" vary greatly. Just a personal thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement