Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 03:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,501,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Nine tenths of this is women saying men don't have much to offer at retirement age. A women's first attraction to men is looks and I have news for women at retirement age. You don't have it anymore. A few do but very few.
The problem with this statement is the old "eye of the beholder" thing. What is beautiful to one person is not to others. I've had men point out women to me whom they thought were attractive when I didn't and vice versa.

I also have heard my male friends disagreeing as to which women they thought were attractive and which weren't. Women also often disagree with each other on the type of looks they prefer in men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 03:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,807,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The problem with this statement is the old "eye of the beholder" thing. What is beautiful to one person is not to others. I've had men point out women to me whom they thought were attractive when I didn't and vice versa.

I also have heard my male friends disagreeing as to which women they thought were attractive and which weren't. Women also often disagree with each other on the type of looks they prefer in men.
How she looks at me has a profound effect on how she looks to me also. That also works both ways.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:09 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,486,939 times
Quote:

What's wrong with his statement is that it comes from petulance. This thread isn't about whether women are gorgeous at retirement age, and it has already been acknowledged again and again that although people who take care of themselves and are attractive to begin with tend to stay attractive for their age, NO ONE looks as good at 60 as they did at 25. He just had to get his little digs in.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
What's wrong with his statement is that it comes from petulance. This thread isn't about whether women are gorgeous at retirement age, and it has already been acknowledged again and again that although people who take care of themselves and are attractive to begin with tend to stay attractive for their age, NO ONE looks as good at 60 as they did at 25. He just had to get his little digs in.
Yeah, but it made him feel good to think he was being profound so any response was going to make his day and I was in a generous mood.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,301,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Nine tenths of this is women saying men don't have much to offer at retirement age. A women's first attraction to men is looks and I have news for women at retirement age. You don't have it anymore. A few do but very few.
I think it would depend on what you wanted. My guys have always been people I liked to be around, and shared interests and quirky subcultures, as in science fiction fandom, and if that wasn't there it wasn't going to happen. One is dead, the one I married, and one is my best friend. We can talk about anything and know all the details. We get along great this way, but in person sparks fly. We flip each other's switches. But we still really did care for each other.

I'd like someone like him without the switches. But someone 'normal' who thought fans were wierd and wouldn't play with us? naw. Someone who sees the world in pretty normal limits, naw. Someone who got it, who could share old convention stories, who understood the slightly out of normal reality that real fans exist in, oh yeah.

But still, since I've had too much baggage, he'd have to prove he isn't hiding stuff like the ex did. Once was enough. My first guy, and we lived together for a while, was honest enough to show who he was with the warts.

I don't think age has as much to do with it as the right people in the right place.

But if you do have 'issues' which must not exist, its hard to be honest and not have them scatter, or feel like you were keeping secrets from them when you tell them.

I'm a woman who generally doesn't have many women friends, and many more men ones. Friends seem to be easier and longer and deeper for me if they're guys. I just relate better somehow.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,310,415 times
Quote:

I've always been attracted to bald men. When did the show Kojack first show up? Looked it up - 1973. I was barely in high school!!

My first husband was prematurely bald. Long hair just doesn't do anything for me - lol. Good thing I was in the military. Nice well groomed guys.....with really short hair.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM

351 posts, read 494,020 times
I'm 55 and have been widowed for 2-1/2 years.

I loved being married. I would remarry again if I had the chance. I don't 'need' a man; I enjoy the companionship.

At my age, however, I know it's unlikely.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:12 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,310,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post

I loved being married. I would remarry again if I had the chance. I don't 'need' a man; I enjoy the companionship.

I hope you find someone. Nothing wrong with wanting someone by your side on your travels through life.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Not saying it would be the same for you but one of the best travel companions I ever had was a very good gay friend of mine. We just got along very well, were able to take advantage of all the benefits offered for couples singles don't get from various travel groups and neither of us had to worry about anybody of either sex hitting on us because we appeared to be a couple. Also we always had a dance partner.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:28 PM

475 posts, read 319,389 times
Quote:
My father was a widower for 13 years. He loved being married and missed it. At the age of 82 he met a widow (also 82). They were together until he died at the age of 86. Never say never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement