Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,301,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Depressing..
why? death is a fact of life! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 06:59 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,506,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Those who plan to decline are usually right. Those who do otherwise are usually right. Just how it works.
You know, I've had this theory for many years now, that we die when we decide to (barring accidents, of course). I believe that the mind has more control over the body than is usually recognized. The will to live is either there, or it isn't.

I have a 94-year-old neighbor I've mentioned, that gets around well and has absolutely no doubts that he'll be up tomorrow morning. I don't doubt it, either. And yet, I've seen cases of much younger people that I just knew would pass very soon - and they did. You could just tell...they didn't want to live any longer, and felt there was nothing to live for. Nothing much wrong with them.

All that said, I know that women outlive men, often by a wide margin. What do they know that we men don't?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You know, I've had this theory for many years now, that we die when we decide to (barring accidents, of course). I believe that the mind has more control over the body than is usually recognized. The will to live is either there, or it isn't.

I have a 94-year-old neighbor I've mentioned, that gets around well and has absolutely no doubts that he'll be up tomorrow morning. I don't doubt it, either. And yet, I've seen cases of much younger people that I just knew would pass very soon - and they did. You could just tell...they didn't want to live any longer, and felt there was nothing to live for. Nothing much wrong with them.

All that said, I know that women outlive men, often by a wide margin. What do they know that we men don't?
They - the women - probably want to just "go", but they think that someone might need them - lol. Like a martyr complex.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They - the women - probably want to just "go", but they think that someone might need them - lol. Like a martyr complex.
or like my mom - very competitive. She even says she wants to live longer than any of her friends or neighbors. And boy is she winning. All the neighbors are now dead! Even her younger friends are dead!

A few years ago I was like that. I told everyone that if I was ever in some kind of coma - do not pull the plug. I even told them to look into freezing my head or whatever so I could be revived.

But now I've changed my mind! Forget that. 75 - 80 tops!

Old 12-07-2015, 08:09 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,162,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
why? death is a fact of life! lol
Very true and that doesn't make is any less depressing. I'm still relatively young and I freak out over it. It really scares me.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Very true and that doesn't make is any less depressing. I'm still relatively young and I freak out over it. It really scares me.
How young? I'm 55 and I'm not afraid.

I do need to get my genealogy files organized. That scares me. Thinking of my family going through my things and seeing what a mess I left - haha!

Old 12-07-2015, 09:04 PM

25,620 posts, read 17,364,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I went to the gym yesterday and saw a seniors spinning class on the schedule. I looked in the classroom and most were probably well into their 60s and some were probably in their 70s. They were remaining physically active and getting good exercise, big factors in keeping people well.

It seems that many of the seniors I've known have been pretty healthy and active at 70. While most people have aches and pains and some medical conditions, many 70 year olds these days are in reasonably good shape. However, by the time a person reaches 80 (should they reach it), that once vibrant 70 year old is likely to be going downhill - it's pretty rare to see an active and pretty healthy octogenarian.

Does anyone else notice the pronounced decline from 70 to 80?
I'm 70. Still walk 2 miles most days. Hard to believe it's going to end some day. I can remember walking in the evenings when I was 35, so I've been doing it a long time. I think the 2 mile walk is taking me about a minute longer these days.
I won't take exercise classes.

My buddy is 72. He says he wishes he had the energy he had when he was 70. Uh-oh.

Other notes:
*My wife recently gave up driving at night, but it's not a problem for me.
*I can hear perfectly well.
*I don't take any medication, but I do go to the chiropractor regularly.
*The lady down at the aquarium (age about 65) asked me if I was over 50 yet. Discount, you know.
*When I warm up for the walk I have trouble squatting. It's hard but not impossible.
*I can work out a 5-star Sudoku.
*I built my first computer this year (I'm using it, too).
*I sleep in 2 shifts. About 4 hours; take a 1 hour break; sleep another 4. During the break I usually study Spanish or read. But I always schedule what I am going to do. It's called biphasic sleeping, and it's my natural pattern.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:32 PM

70 posts, read 80,360 times
Hmmm......I think decline between the years of 70 to 80 may be mental besides the physical side of aging. I have noticed that my father, whom will be turning 85 next year, has been getting a little depressed because his younger friends are now starting to pass away. My father plays golf all the time, is very active with a social life, etc. But, I have noticed these past five years with each passing of a younger friend, he seems to be getting depressed and contemplating his own mortality. My mother, I can see gets more tired easily, but she still stays active playing golf and being social with her friends. It seems she doesn't mind getting older or fear passing, but my dad seems to get depressed about it when a friend passes on.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,227,390 times
I noticed my mom's cognition declining in her mid eighties. She lived another 10 years. She was never physically active as an adult, and as she got older she had more pain from arthritis. However she remained mobile until the weeks before her passing.

I just want to mention that we cannot control when we die. So, deciding when would be the best time to die is of little benefit. I do think we should maintain our health as best we can. For me, this means eating less than I'd like and doing regular exercise. We can do a lot to help ourselves remain active as we grow older, and most of us accept that. We know what we should be doing.

I don't think people just decide to die, however. My mom was ready to die long before she did. Many others die too soon.

To the original question, I agree. Many times seniors do well throughout or at least well into their seventies. In my observation, the decline can come any time, and it is noticeable. For many, the decline becomes noticeable in their eighties.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,577,718 times
My mom used to say, ''An old person is just an old body with a young person looking out their eyes.'' Pretty true, I believe. Old is as old does, if one can maintain decent health. Attitude can make a difference. But beyond that at some point the physical body just starts to wear out. Mid 80s is what I've observed in most family members or elderd I've known.
I remember my mother-in-law at age 90 saying she was ready to go as no one was left from her old ''crowd''.
Sometimes I feel that way at 60. I know more people who are dead than living. It all works out as it is supposed to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement